xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Open-source Game Remakes

I don't really understand why people make open source remakes of a lot of games. I don't meant the small arcade games or card games, but the full fledged ones that take a lot of time. I've tried a few open source remakes of popular games, and they don't really compare to the commercial games they're copying, so why bother? Half of them are still buggy, some of them are years behind in the gaming world like FreeCiv. I love Civilization, but why would I play FreeCiv when I could play one of Sid Meier's Civilization's, which are better? FreeCiv would be an okay game, if Sid Meier was never born and Civ wasn't around years ago. I think the people who work on these games could make a great ORIGINAL game which would be a better use of their skills, time and effort. That way, they wouldn't always be compared to the original commercial games, and I might be more interested in playing a free, open source game if it was even a bit original. I just don't understand why they make a carbon copy of a successful game of earlier years.

They could have started it to provoke the developers of the commercial game to release their game for other platforms, even if it would never happen. They could have started it because they were bored or wanted to get into game development and making a game similar to their favorite game would be more entertaining?whatever the reason. It is possible for an open-source game to compete with a commercial game. I would personally prefer it if commercial game developers gave away the source code of the previous release of the game after releasing a new one, like what was done with Quake and HomeWorld (though i don't like either of these two). Although the source code for Warzone 2100 was released for other reasons, Warzone 2100 was my favorite RTS, and i'm glad i can play it again?and on my computer (i had first played it for the PlayStation).

Hey there!I'm a fan of open-source games and I particularly like the re-makes of commercial games due to their quality. Most open-source games that are based on original ideas have poor graphics.Open-source games that are re-makes of commercial versions are an attempt to add much-needed functionality to existing games. For example, I play OpenTTD which is an open-source clone of Transport Tycoon Deluxe and it adds LAN and Internet gaming capabilities to a game that only supports one-player and two-player over modem/serial port.I've played Digger and although it is a re-make that isn't open-source, the re-make enables us to play the game on a modern PC as the original requires a CGA adapter to play the game.