xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SpiderVV

Hard Drive Problem :/

Today I was a bit sick of 7 so I decided to return to XP as I miss it somehow :lol: Well, happens that I had Ubunu on the same HDD and when I fired up XP Setup, there were like 4 partitions. 1 Windows, 2 Ubuntu and 1 for my documents etc. Happens that I deleted every partition but the documents one so I could do a bigger 250GB one and still stay with the docs one. Now, as both partitions are Primary somehow, when I copy XP first setup step files (not the full install where you can move yout mouse) when it restarts it just gives me an error about booting the HDD. No, it's not dead, I know it's because there are 2 primary partitions of when I deleted the main one and the linux ones. How do I make the docs one Logical again without losing data? Thx.

My first knee-jerk reaction would be to pop in a LiveCD, copy your documents off of the remaining partition onto an external hard drive or a USB flash disk, then just wipe out the whole thing and use GParted or Windows to partition your drive as necessary before reinstallation.

If you are considering that route, think about purchasing something like a Seagate Agent drive. They come in 500GB capacities and are less than $100 USD on NewEgg, or if you can settle for a larger 3.5" form factor,

You could also snag a cheap enclosure to use with the hard drive in your other PC. For a 3.5" form factor, I like the Galaxy Metal Gear enclosures, which are cheap (~$20 on NewEgg) and work well. That way, you can just use it as an external hard drive instead of copying things over with a 1GB stick and having to make a million trips.

I don't know how to set this up between an Ubuntu-to-Windows or Ubuntu-to-Ubuntu setup, but I believe that you could use a crossover Ethernet cable to create a peer-to-peer network to copy files over the "network" between PCs. I've "heard" of USB cables that can do the same thing, but that's just a step back in transfer rate potential, don't you think? :lol:

1.) Set it up right before you go to bed.

2.) Start the copy.

3.) Go to sleep.

4.) ???

5.) PROFIT!

Addendum: Take a look at this thread to see more options about what you're trying to do. Then again, I would rather take the time and backup my files anyway than trust a program to change partition setups without losing data. Then again, GParted has never killed any of my data due to a bad partition. But it only takes one time...

TL;DR: Use Partition Magic or GParted.

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)