xisto Community
Nameless_

How Do You Install Wamp? I installed Xampp but didnt know how to use it, but I cant u

Hi people...Does anyone by any chance know how to install WAMP? Because all I found for WAMP when I downloaded it was a .exe document, technically a WampServer2.01.exe file that doesn't do anything when clicked. My computer said that it couldn't find an application to open it. Is it because it is not made for a Mac computer?Well, I have downloaded Xampp for my Wordpress blog and it installed fine, I think. Because it has a hard drive thing that came out and said "Drag to Install" window and all I had to do was to drag and install... But then I didn't know what to do next, because I don't think anyone here on this forum has used Xampp before.So following Puneye's advice, I downloaded WAMP for Wordpress, but I couldn't even install it...Any help guys?(Or if you know how to use Wordpress on Xampp (on a Mac), that'd be great too...)Thanks guys, I was doing my best to make this thread as short as possible, and I found out that long posts tend to drive readers and repliers away...) :lol:

An ".exe" file is a Microsoft executable file and likely won't do anything on a Mac or a Linux box.

Apachefriends.org have, (I believe), versions of XAMPP for Mac.
https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

Once installed, there will be a folder named .htdocs which is the folder you need to install your wordpress into. Also, from your Browser, be sure to access the wordpress install via "localhost".

Yeah, I tried the LOCALHOST.xampp.splash.php thing...
it didn't really work. I found the .htsdocs folder, but how do you install wordpress into it? I've downloaded the Wordpress file too, so I've got all the materials that I need, I just need to know how to use it, and what to do with it.

Whenever I open ANY .php file in the Xampp folder, it always open Aptana Studio for some reason, and it doesn't even open the file. The Aptana Studio only opens and asks me if I want to create a new project. So I just close it. And it gets annoying when I have to do that everytime I press on a .php file to see what it is and stuff.

I'm scared to moving any file anywhere on my computer incase something happens and the webserver can't find my files, so the only thing I've done is to try and open the files... The Xampp installation is on my desktop, the Xampp application in my Mac application folder, and the Wordpress file is also on my Desktop.

So do I just drag Wordpress into the Xampp folder?

Sorry, I am not mac savvy, so how to install the Wordpress (on a Mac) is beyond my knowledge.
I would create a new folder under htdocs for the wordpress and install it there.
Then access it via LOCALHOST/wordpress_folder_name. This should look for the index.php file.

As for Aptana opening up, it seems that the OS has given the priority to Aptana for .php files. Check that you are using the http:localhost/folder/file_name correctly for your system, and always use a Browser for the files you want to open. See if that helps.

I'm not sure where you are in the installing process now but I think Wordpress must come with some instructions.

..."WordPress is well known for its ease of installation. Under most circumstances installing WordPress is a very simple process and takes less than five minutes to complete." - Wordpress

Well they say it's easy anyway :lol:. Where exactly are you in the installation progress? Do you have your server up and running? As far as I know, you should be able to type LOCALHOST/ and you should see some kind of a webpage if it's running. I've never used a mac, but I'll assume localhost works there too. You might have said if it works already, but I just skimmed through what was already said here.

After you get it working, You should be able to access phpmyadmin which let's you continue the installation process.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress

Follow the detailed instructions, and you should be okay.

I'm not sure how you proceeded with installation. BUt this site explains how to install XAMPP and Wordpress on your computer. I don't know which installer you used. "Universal binary" or "Developer package" for Mac OS?. "Developer package" installer is small in size and Universal binary installer is bigger. And one more good thing about binary installer is you can delete the installation if anything goes wrong. No worries about registry file and services settings. I suggest you to follow the tutorial on the website i've mentioned. It explains installation of both wordpress and XAMPP. XAMPP installation on OSX is explained here. Also try this tutorial for installing wordpress on Mac (this covers wordpress installation as well).

And by some chances if you find earlier tutorial a bit hard to understand then you can try this tutorial. I doubt that earlier tutorials mentioned here are hard to understand but if you feel so this tutorial is enough to get you started with XAMPP and Wordpress.

No... it's not the installing of Wordpress that is the problem... I've got that done. It's just that I need to install Wordpress on a Webserver, preferably on Xampp, because I couldn't download WAMP on my Mac computer.I've got both Xampp and Wordpress... I just need to learn how to put the two together...And mahesh2k, I haven't exactly read your tutorials that you have given me yet, so I'll take a look at that as well... thanks for the tutorials!

Sorry for double posting... I'll keep this as short as possible...

Well, all the Mac tutorials all say that the downloaded xampp should have a tar.gz end extension, but however, I think that this is the problem, whenever I download xampp there is no such thing...

When I download Xampp, the XAMPP Mac OS X 1.7.2a Universal Binary version, I get this:

xampp-macosx-1.7.2a.dmg

where I'm meant to get something with a tar.gz ending...

And when I press the application, this opens...

XAMPP for Mac OS X 1.7.2a

And when I press that, I get a new window saying "Drag to install", with a picture of a Xampp folder and an arrow next to it pointing to the Mac Applications folder, and it allows me to drag the Xampp folder to the Appications folder.

And when I did that, the Xampp file is then installed onto the computer, but the LOCALHOST doesn't work at all...

And following THIS TUTORIAL that mahesh2k gave me...

I can't see any tar.gz file at all, and the General Box IS unchecked... Any help guys?

I don't have MAC right now these days to test this for you. But let me try to help you anyway. Now that you got XAMPP into the applications folder. You've follow this as per tutorial. Type this ino terminal by locating terminal to applications directory.

/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp start

If you followed this then i guess there should be no problem running XAMPP. If you still have problem then i guess you need to check the XAMPP support. and still the problem persists then i think instead of solving issues of XAMPP on your mac. You should get started with MAMP instead. It'll be easy to install MAMP on mac os than xampp. Check the MAMP out, if you've any questions then ask it on MAMP forums. I found forum quite enough to get answers to your installation issues if you get any.

I don't have MAC right now these days to test this for you. But let me try to help you anyway. Now that you got XAMPP into the applications folder. You've follow this as per tutorial. Type this ino terminal by locating terminal to applications directory.

/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/mampp start

If you followed this then i guess there should be no problem running XAMPP. If you still have problem then i guess you need to check the XAMPP support. and still the problem persists then i think instead of solving issues of XAMPP on your mac. You should get started with MAMP instead. It'll be easy to install MAMP on mac os than xampp. Check the MAMP out, if you've any questions then ask it on MAMP forums. I found forum quite enough to get answers to your installation issues if you get any.

The problem is, I could get into

/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/

But inside the "xamppfiles" folder, there are only more folders one terminal icon thing that doesn't open, and a powerpoint thing that doesn't open either. The powerpoint thing ends in a .pot file. These are the files listed from top to bottom:

bin, cgi-bin, doc, error, etc, htsdocs, icons, lib, libexec, licenses, logs, modules, phpadmin, sbin, share, sql-bench, temp, var, xampp (terminal looking icon), xampp.pot (the powerpoint that doesn't open).

So there is no "mampp start". A quick search for the term "mampp" come up with zero results, so it's not there at all. I think I need to put the code in the Terminal, but I can't because the computer can't find the tar.gz file, because my file isn't in a tar.gz format.

If you have a decent library near you, go check to see if they have any books by Larry Ullman. He is a php/mysql author that explains the process very well in most of his books. Specifically, check for the Visual Quickpro Guide - PHP and MYSQL for dynamic Web Sites (Second Edition).Also, what happens when you run a php_info() in localhost?

I'm looking at my xampp installation (for linux) and it looks pretty close to what you're describing, but almost all of those "files" you named are really folders/directories. I only have TWO files,

1. lampp
2. RELEASENOTES

Even though they call it xampp, I still have to type lampp start from the command line. So maybe the xampp you see is the right thing.

I don't know, it seems to be different for some reason since you're on mac, I don't see a xampp.pot.

Here's a screen shot of how I started it

http://i31.tinypic.com/nh1444.jpg

@Nameless, i think XAMPP is giving you some trouble on Mac. Why don't you try MAMP ?. and there is youtube and vimeo channel for the installation of MAMP . So you'll be guided with MAMP. I don't know why XAMPP is not working with you. But have to take a look at that. In between only thing i can suggest you is download MAMP and watch installation videos of it. I've given link of both these channels, so you can watch installation guides. See if that works.

@Nameless, i think XAMPP is giving you some trouble on Mac. Why don't you try MAMP ?. and there is youtube and vimeo channel for the installation of MAMP . So you'll be guided with MAMP. I don't know why XAMPP is not working with you. But have to take a look at that. In between only thing i can suggest you is download MAMP and watch installation videos of it. I've given link of both these channels, so you can watch installation guides. See if that works.

Oohh.... thanks mahesh2k... worked like a charm. :lol: Thank you so much... well, it worked like a charm until the "Coda" bit... do you have any idea what the application "Coda" is that the man used in the video? (It is the Youtube video by the way... it's a good thing you found him after he registered like, a couple of days ago.)

Everything worked fine until he used the "Coda" application to test things out. Well, I tried searching for this "Coda" on my computer but it came out with zero results, so I'm assuming that he downloaded it off the internet. Does anyone know that this "Coda" application is for and how and where to download it? Thanks...

But it worked, mahesh2k, MAMP worked perfectly fine. Thanks for everything!!!

To refrain from creating a new thread and spamming the forums I am going to reply to my own post:

No worries, got "Coda" sorted out. Turns out that you have to pay $99 for it, but you can just easily do everything with the free default "TextEdit" on Mac. Aptana turned out to be a total failure because even when I got the wp-config.php file onto Aptana you couldn't edit the files...

The problem now is that now that I've followed all the instructions, when I went to

LOCALHOST:8888/newstacks/wp-admin/install.php

This came up:

404 not found (the title of the tab)

And this on the browser screen:

Not Found

The requested URL /newstacks/ was not found on this server.

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.2.10 DAV/2 Server at localhost Port 8888

I really don't know why it's doing that. Turns out that I'm not the only one though... a few people on the web says that they have this problem too... but I followed all the instructions, did everything like, ten times and it's still not working. I even re-downloaded the wordpress.org application and tried everything again and it's still not working.

Any help?

(Everything else is working nicely, I created a few databases and deleted them again just to try and make everything work but nothing's working at the moment...)