xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Anime, Anyone?

At first look they looks childish, but once you get hooked, they're hard to let go! I'm talking about Japanese Anime, popular all over the world. They're of many types and forms but the common thing in them is that they're awesome :lol: Ok maybe that's too much, but most of them are! :P Does anyone here watch Anime on a regular basis? If I'm not wrong, they're being imported by each country by the dozen! Not all of them are good, but the selct few are too good to miss. I get a lot of shows here, (all dubbed into the regional languages) and maybe 90% of them are crap - the rest of them are worth the watch. To name some favourites would be a tough job but I'd say Dragonball (all series) is sure to come up on most people's list! I recently got one of the "Dragon Boxes" which contain 1000 minutes of episodes with the original Japanese audio and voice dub and it's one helluva show! Any suggestions from our esteemed members for more???

No, sorry, not into anime. Actually, I'm like, against anime for personal reasons... my friends are like, all hooked and obsessed and watch them everyday... why waste your time when you could be doing something productive like being on Xisto and posting and creating or learning how to make a website???I really don't get that, I really don't...I mean, I know that it's very very easy to get hooked, and once you are, there is nothing that can save you, ever, nothing... apart from your own conscience. And I don't intend to go into that path. Which is why I didn't exactly have my own social networking profile like Facebook or Bebo or mySpace. I'm just not that into it, sorry. :lol:

I like anime. Don't really have the time to stay up to date anymore, but I can very well remember my favourite ones... Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Seiya, Oh my Goddess.I also grew up with Dragonball and Sailor Moon but I definitely prefer the mangas to the anime for these two, less repetition...But my favourite one was and still is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Definitely something I would not let my children watch until they are 15 or over, but the story is well crafted, the animation superb, and I heard (don't know if it's true) that the characters were used as examples in psychology classes in JapanAs for getting hooked, anime are not the only thing. My partner moans and moans every night if I even suggest missing Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Coronation Street and/or Eastenders in favour of watching the news or a cartoon for the kid.You can't see the point in watching anime and getting hooked, Nameless_. Same here when it comes to soap operas. But then I guess everyone IS different :lol:

I watch anime mostly on Hulu. Dragon Ball Z used to be my favorite, but then i came across other animes. I like animes more that have to do with dual intellects, if you can call it that. Animes like Death Note and Code Geass. Another interesting anime was Mushi-shi?it's nice and calming, but most of all it is decent. But what interests me the most about anime is the art?those that try to achieve a sense of realism. Animes like One Piece, the art degrades the show for me; while the concept of the anime is farfetched itself, One Piece could have been better if the art was more realistic.

I hear many animes don't have an ending to them, and they just leave you with a cliffhanger. I've run into animes that end with a cliffhanger?very disappointing.

I like anime. Don't really have the time to stay up to date anymore, but I can very well remember my favourite ones... Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Seiya, Oh my Goddess.
I also grew up with Dragonball and Sailor Moon but I definitely prefer the mangas to the anime for these two, less repetition...

But my favourite one was and still is Neon Genesis Evangelion. Definitely something I would not let my children watch until they are 15 or over, but the story is well crafted, the animation superb, and I heard (don't know if it's true) that the characters were used as examples in psychology classes in Japan

As for getting hooked, anime are not the only thing. My partner moans and moans every night if I even suggest missing Hollyoaks, Emmerdale, Coronation Street and/or Eastenders in favour of watching the news or a cartoon for the kid.

You can't see the point in watching anime and getting hooked, Nameless_. Same here when it comes to soap operas. But then I guess everyone IS different :lol:

Well, I really don't know... where I am though, if you watch anime, you are considered "fob" (also stands for "fresh off the boat"), and that is a very degrading statement unless you were a proud "fob" wide and openly proud of being obsessed with anime. BUT if that is the case, then you will have to totally submerge yourself into Japanese culture. And when I say totally submerge yourself into Japanese culture, I mean TOTALLY submerge yourself into Japanese culture.

That is, know their pop singers, buy lots and lots and lots of posters of them, most of them for like, ten dollars per A4 size piece of paper, drool all over the paper, hug the piece of paper, sleep with it, look at it twenty four -seven, and when you watch anime, you literally hug the screen and kiss and slobber all over the screen when your favourite character or pop singer comes up on stage... EURGH!!!

Sorry, no.

I am so against it... you'll know why if you are where I am...

I've to agree with Truefusion on some points. Mushi-shi is very calm and interesting anime. It's got great story plot and animation is very simple and attractive. One piece and nauruto are famous but i found them boring on plot and design.

@Nameless, I have to disagree with the you on point of productivity of watching animes. I mean there are plenty of things in life that are useless for someone but makes lot of sense to others. Like fashion shows and f1 race are useless for most people cause they think it wastes resources and gains are very less. Even posting on Xisto is not productive for most of people. They'll say to you that instead of wasting this much time why not pay for hosting ? I can understand that some of your friends spend lot of time on anime. But there are plenty of people in this world who spend lot of time watching sports, daily soap opera, music shows, talent hunts. And where is the gain ? Except killing time and entertaining from it i don't feel like having any gain from it. And this is acceptable. there are things in life that you've to do to keep yourself entertained and to keep yourself stress-free. Think of it as stress buster than productivity killer.

@Simpleton, i grow up watching animes. Animes like "Dragonballz", "and many others. Some of them are not available for download even. If possible try "bleach", "mushi-shi", "full metal alchemist" and "code geas". But i try to keep watching anime only on weekends, to keep interests in them alive. Watching daily kinda kills the interest IMO.

Those were some very interesting words from all of you...thanks for the thoughts. I personally think watching anime is just another of the many habits that we tend to develop over time, and there isn't anything particularly good or bad that comes from it. Until now the only anime that I'm really interested in is Dragonball Z and I can watch 3-4 episodes on a stretch without getting bored. I've tried others but so far haven't found anything good. Apart from Dragonball Z the other fancy animes such as one piece, naruto, bleach, etc haven't caught my attention yet and I think that's lucky because they never seem to end! At least DBZ ended at 291 episodes - add to that the 153 episodes of the original Dragonball and the 64 of Dragonball GT, and it's still much better than the others, which seem to be running into 700-1000 episodes! I heard about an anime which supposedly had 2000 episodes!! I can't remember its name though. One of the main reasons I watch anime is to learn Japanese. For this I could watch Japanese TV which is more practical and close to reality. But anime has a special feeling that normal TV can't give. That's the main reason I prefer to watch anime is that it's relaxing and although far-fetched it does tend to entertain you!

@Nameless, I have to disagree with the you on point of productivity of watching animes. I mean there are plenty of things in life that are useless for someone but makes lot of sense to others. Like fashion shows and f1 race are useless for most people cause they think it wastes resources and gains are very less. Even posting on Xisto is not productive for most of people. They'll say to you that instead of wasting this much time why not pay for hosting ? I can understand that some of your friends spend lot of time on anime. But there are plenty of people in this world who spend lot of time watching sports, daily soap opera, music shows, talent hunts. And where is the gain ? Except killing time and entertaining from it i don't feel like having any gain from it. And this is acceptable. there are things in life that you've to do to keep yourself entertained and to keep yourself stress-free. Think of it as stress buster than productivity killer.

Yeah, maybe it's just me... :lol:
But I still think that nothing good will come out of it but maybe improving your Japanese language skills... that is, if you learn the Japanese language at school or something or somewhere like that.

I do... but still... there's too much work in life for me to sit down and watch some random Japanese cartoons.... but I can see that I'm the loner here.