xisto Community
The Simpleton

Do You Backup Your Inbox?

Hmm this is the second thread today in which I'm talking about back-up, but it seems like an important question to me - do you backup the mail you get? These days scams are increasing day-by-day and you never know what is going to happen with your account tomorrow. Of course if you're a pro user who takes care of all security features then you have nothing to fear, but most people aren't aware that email inboxes can be broken into and personal information confiscated. A weak password is the easiet way to gain access into someone's inbox. There are other factors too using which one can gain entry. And in most of the cases, we wish to take action only after the damage has been done! That's why it's important to keep a backup of all the mail, contacts, etc in order to avoid any damage in future. So, do any of you do anything like this?

Hey Yes. I am using free email services like yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc their password can be stolen or someone can try and access using weak password on email inbox. Then they can delete your email they can do whatever they like. So I backups important documents, photos etc. I think who use private level or paid email accounts they don't need to backups their inbox because they have already backup system if they need. Putting harder password is the best way to protect our inbox.

I check my all email using Thunderbird, which saves a copy locally. I then take nightly backups automatically on to an external HDD, so all my mail should be saved on there somewhere if I need it. To be honest though, I don't get a lot of important email (I like important things on paper), and anything that is important is only important for a few days (such as online orders and things). The main risk is people guessing your email password, then resetting passwords on other sites (such as your bank) and getting them emailed to the account they now have access to. All that can prevent that is a good strong passphrase.

I probably should, but I don't. I don't have anything really important in my inbox, so I don't really think about it. When I get a REALLY important message, however, like one with a PIN number to activate a product, I'll usually save it as a TXT file somewhere on my hard drive. My mail is stored on the internet in GMail, so I don't have to worry about getting a virus and losing it or anything, but in case of hackers it would be good to have a backup. But like I said, I'm really lazy, so I don't. :lol:

I probably should, but I don't. I don't have anything really important in my inbox, so I don't really think about it. When I get a REALLY important message, however, like one with a PIN number to activate a product, I'll usually save it as a TXT file somewhere on my hard drive. My mail is stored on the internet in GMail, so I don't have to worry about getting a virus and losing it or anything, but in case of hackers it would be good to have a backup. But like I said, I'm really lazy, so I don't. :lol:

Same here, Spudd... but I don't really care whether that hack my account or not... well, I do, but there is literally like, nothing on my email account, so it doesn't really matter, I suppose. Apart from my password and usernames, that's all there is to my email account, and of course, random emails that I send and receive from my friends...

And Gmail is cool... I use it too! I trust Google, though I don't like the fact that they revealed who an used-to-be anonymous blogger really was. Turns out to be a celebrity star "talking bad" about her fellow colleagues. (sorry, I don't swear)

Now that I come to think of it, there isn't anything that would come across as "important" to other people in my inbox. But I store some messages just as a sentiment because they might have brought a lot of happiness when they first arrived. To other they might just seem to be junk! But there's another reason apart from mail which needs to be taken care of and that is your contact list. There may not be any important mail but if there are people with who you're in regular touch then the hacker could misuse your account to contact your contacts! That would indeed be a messy situation, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't worry about your email being hacked, if you take thenecessary precautions. Never save your email account password, or for that matter, any important account password anywhere on your computer. Try to keep all your important passwords in memory. I guess second of all, try to avoid making enemies of anyone who wouldtry to hack your account. I guess theres always bot viruses of some kind, butI've yet to hear of them regarding hacking email accounts.

Yes. Backups are necessary. Plenty of reasons. Some of them are : your email address getting hacked. Another one is business purpose you want to keep log of your emails. In such cases backup is very important. I find that emails from Xisto - Support or from any online transaction worth to save. I mean they come handy when you've issues with services or support. and i agree with @networkers's point, try to avoid making enemies on social network. This sometimes land you into trouble of account getting hacked. Though most of the social networks can track the offender and can give your id back. But in this hassle you'll lose a lot of sleep and it's not at all comfortable either. I don't know about exact length of secure passwords. But some suggests that 6-8 point passwords are safe. And to be on safe side, never start your passwords from pet's name, book authors name or your name of family person's name. try and mix the character and digit. Make it harder for people to guess. Though sometimes it can't be helped in 8 char passwords as well. In such case, you're put of luck.

Dear friend?I have backed up only the important messages which I receive and not all of them more over about the contact details I have backed them up and same restored in more than one mail id. By the way backing up contacts is very important to save time and mess in the future if due to some reason it is lost or currupted and I should say you should back up all the contacts not only in your mail box but also in your mobile phone.?