xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

What Is Your Back-up Browser?

Okay, so all of us have a favourite browser and we fiercely defend it in discussions like these. But sometimes, even the best of the browsers fail to meet our needs and we have to temporarily use another browser till ours gets fixed. Faced this situation any time? Well I've had lots of instances where Firefox simply refused to work. I'm talking about Firefox in Ubuntu, which I guess isn't perfect yet. So anyway, sometimes it simply stops working, as if someone pressed the "Stop" button all the time. A reboot would usually work in a case like this, but I don't have the patience to do that each time this happens. So as a backup/secondary browser, I use SeaMonkey, which works fine. I need to use it for a short while anyway and it does a good job for a Linux Browser. So what is your own backup browser? I guess most Windows users would say IE/Opera/Chrome :lol: Was there any instance where you had to switch to a backup browser for a really long time? That would really be irritating. Luckily my Firefox doesn't irritate me for a long time. Just bounces back after a break!

Back up browser...hmmm...I got four of them but I seem to lean more towards Chrome because I don't have a ton of stuff on it and it loads faster for me. Of course, I tend to go to Internet Explorer 8 next if I have to, but I usually don't touch Safari or Opera even though I make sure they are updated and what not.

Backup Browser? I have never heard of the term like this one before... but I can tell you that I do not have a Back up Browser, and I only use Safari to browse the web (because I use a Mac and Safari is the default browser).And because I can't be bothered downloading more browsers when I could be working on my blog or posting on Xisto and I can't be bothered downloading the newest versions of the browsers that I won't even use. Though I must say that I usually use Internet Explorer on other computers (because THAT's the default browser of the other computers, of course)...But yeah...But if I had to go for Internet Explorer or Safari, I'd go for Internet Explorer... :lol:

well there's no real term as 'backup browser' I just used it and since you got the meaning that's fine :lol: Having four backup browsers can be a lot and I don't think there's a real need for that many number of browsers. Two, in my opinion, would be just fine as one could cancel out the others cons...

My backup browser is Opera, which was my normal browser until I found that a ton of my favorite FireFox addons didn't have a cousin in Opera. I actually like Opera (by itself vs FireFox by itself) better, but FireFox addons give it the upper hand for me.

Well, I'm a firefox fanatic and so I hate to look into other browsers. Although if this fails I decide that I just use Windows Internet Explorer. It depends on the OS on what version I use. At the moment i'm running Windows 7 RTM so it's version 8 at the moment :lol:. I know other people that prefer Opera but I find that browser is to cluttered and uses alot of RAM.

If I had it on this computer, I would say Opera. I don't feel the need to have more than one browser to use though, so I just have IE. I do hate IE with a passion, but I've never had an issue with Firefox on this computer, so it hasn't been an issue. :lol:

I also heard first time about Back up Browser ? Is this ok if we put term Alternative Browser instead of Back up browser ? Anyway I use Mozilla Firefox as default browser (I use windows OS) then Internet Explorer sometime. My alternative browser is Google Chrome.The reason behind it is I have Internet Download Manager (IDM) which attached with both Firefox and Internet explorer but not with Google Chrome. So I use chrome when IDM doesn't support download. I rarely use other browsers because Mozilla Firefox is great and I love it.

I also heard first time about Back up Browser ? Is this ok if we put term Alternative Browser instead of Back up browser ?

HAHA, This is what I was thinking about, alternate browser.

Argh anyway glad your using "Google's Insane Creation". I used to have this as my main browser. YUCK :lol:. Now back to Firefox thank goodness.

It depends on my using Operating System. In Windows, I use Firefox as my primary browser, and Internet Explorer as backup, as Firefox is my old and reliable friend. :lol: In Linux, I still use Firefox first, then Konqueror or the one integrated in Gnome.

I'm running ubuntu 9.04, running Shiretoko web browser (it's a way of forcing firefox 3.5 to install on ubuntu, since it refuses to upgrade from firefox 3.0.11). My secondary browser is firefox 3.0.11. So yeah, I'm rockin this "contest". I bet you don't have the same browser as an alternative, do ya?! HA ! :lol:

My backup browser is Opera, which was my normal browser until I found that a ton of my favorite FireFox addons didn't have a cousin in Opera. I actually like Opera (by itself vs FireFox by itself) better, but FireFox addons give it the upper hand for me.

Exactly. If only Opera had the plugins, I would've switched instantly.

I am currently using Firefox 3.0x. My backup browser (If Firefox stopped working) would either be Internet Explorer, or Safari or Google Chrome. Even though I hate both 3 of them. I can only rely on Firefox.

It depends on my using Operating System. In Windows, I use Firefox as my primary browser, and Internet Explorer as backup, as Firefox is my old and reliable friend. :lol: In Linux, I still use Firefox first, then Konqueror or the one integrated in Gnome.

Yes, you have a good point there. Also for MAC users [btw i despise Machintosh] can use Safari.

I'm running ubuntu 9.04, running Shiretoko web browser (it's a way of forcing firefox 3.5 to install on ubuntu, since it refuses to upgrade from firefox 3.0.11). My secondary browser is firefox 3.0.11. So yeah, I'm rockin this "contest". I bet you don't have the same browser as an alternative, do ya?! HA ! tongue.gif

[/quote

Shiretoko is still in its alpha stage of testing, isn't it? So it's not for regular users, but for those who like testing out new things I agree that its' a good one :lol: And yeah I guess no one has the same browser as their back-up browser either!!! The one I use, SeaMonkey, seems to be born out of Firefox as well,not sure, but it's good when I need it and that's more than I ask for...