xisto Community
Mordent

A.b. 4 X.y. What does it mean?

We've all seen the classic little doodles: the heart surrounding the letters of two people's initials with a "4" in between, but what does it actually mean? Clearly the "4" is representative of the word "for", but in what context? Is it "Person A is in favour of Person B" (loosely, "Person A likes/loves Person B"), or more "Person A is the one for Person B" (or "Person B likes/loves Person A"). Does it mean either/both? Does it really matter, as it's just a general cute way of expressing affection?It's fairly relevant, as I'm making something for my girlfriend and, what with my perfectionist nature, really want to get it the right way round. :lol:

I believe it is generally meant as "is the one for" or "was made for" etc. etc. rather than the supportive sense, like being 'for' a particular cause.Does it matter? No, not really :lol: Everyone knows what is meant by it anyway, and what it expresses is far more important than an exact dictionary definition.

I'd have to agree that that's the way I see it as well. I'd always viewed it that way until a friend pointed out that it worked the other way round, and was curious as to what other people's opinions on it are. Even with just one reply backing up my viewpoint, I'm happy to go ahead and use it for now and, as you say, even if the majority of the world see it the other way around it doesn't exactly matter. :lol:Cheers!