xisto Community
Draxx

Zlib Question

Ok it may sound a bit stupid, but a few days ago i found a host , was looking great, good bandwich, ok panel but when i uploaded smf (hard but did it, the ftp they had sucked xD) i ran in to a few problems, you couldn't upload any theme/mods, only doing it "the old fashion" (manually) from what i understand and the reason was that the host didn't have installed/allowed on zlib (w/e that is) and they told me is because of security reasons.Don't want to go back on that host or anything but i'm just curious, what is zlib? (extension?) and what security reason can that be? ;ojust out of curiosity xDHope is the right place to ask, that "moderated area" kinda freaks me out ...Thanks in advance for any answers i get. :lol:

Don't want to go back on that host or anything but i'm just curious, what is zlib? (extension?) and what security reason can that be? ;ojust out of curiosity xD

zlib is pretty much the de facto library used for compressing and decompressing gzip and zip files.

I presume the security risks they claim are for things like 'tar bombs' - where you decompress an archive and millions of files appear when you expected one folder (we've all had that happen to us!). On a server, not only would that be processor and memory intensive, but it would also start to fill the hard drive pretty quickly. Also, until you open the archive, you have no idea what sort of files are inside. Some hosts, who block uploads of certain file types, will prevent archives being uploaded to stop people 'sneaking' disallowed file types on to their hosting.

Hope is the right place to ask, that "moderated area" kinda freaks me out ...

Just means moderators have to approve your posts before they appear. It cuts down on spam in areas of the forum that generally have lots of spam.

rvalkass - oh i see, so pretty much is a unzipper for a host :lol:

Just means moderators have to approve your posts before they appear. It cuts down on spam in areas of the forum that generally have lots of spam.

Guess i posted in the right place :3

Thanks for answering my question rvalkass ... and for accepting my thread(I think) ^^