xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

How Do I Update Firefox In Ubuntu?

I have Firefox, or, "Firefox for Ubuntu" if there's a difference. I want to upgrade to the newest version of Firefox, 3.5, but as stupid as this sounds, I can't figure out how. I could have installed from the source code, but I'm assuming there's an easier way that I'm missing. I saw something about the package manger, but I tried that, and it just updated Firefox 3.0 to Firefox 3.0.13 or something like that. So, how do I update Firefox to 3.5?

You could switch to the next Ubuntu, 9.10?though it's not yet considered stable. You could, on the other hand, download Firefox 3.5 from the Mozilla website and every time you want to use it, close any older versions of Firefox and open up the newer version. If you want to access it from the applications menu, you can create your own desktop file that points to the newer Firefox and drag the desktop file into the applications menu. I wouldn't recommend compiling Firefox, though, as i don't think it'll do anything you are hoping for.

I never tried it but is it possible to update it from within application ?. as it is possible to do so in windows. I mean you can go to Help menu> check for updates. I'm not sure if this feature is available in linux. So synaptic/adept could be the option in such case.

Help - Check for Update doesn't work in Ubuntu because apparently they want you to update it their way in Ubuntu. When I was on the Mozilla website, all I could find was a "tarball" (I feel weird using these terms when I just learned them). I guess I could look again. I saw something called SwiftFox... FireFox 3.5 tweaked for performance, or somethng. I'm going to try it out, at least it has instructions.

Help - Check for Update doesn't work in Ubuntu because apparently they want you to update it their way in Ubuntu. When I was on the Mozilla website, all I could find was a "tarball" (I feel weird using these terms when I just learned them). I guess I could look again. I saw something called SwiftFox... FireFox 3.5 tweaked for performance, or somethng. I'm going to try it out, at least it has instructions.

Unlike Opera (since Opera isn't open source), the Firefox website doesn't provide any Debian or RPM packages, they just provide other, general archives. The reason why you can't update Firefox through Firefox is probably due to the fact that it is impossible for Firefox to tell how your distribution is configured, where are all the Firefox files that require updating on the system, et cetera. This isn't Windows where you can pretty much safely assume that the system will always be configured the same way. Each Linux distro does their own thing, therefore, since Firefox is open source, it is better to let the Linux distributors provide their own packages. Sure, the Firefox developers could provide users with Debian and RPM packages, but it's not necessary for them to do so—especially since Linux distributors would probably provide their own packages anyway.