xisto Community
Spyke Jones

Dual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

If you do know how to install Ubuntu after Vista, you may submit an Tutorial to the Tutorial zone. Although there is already one similar article, I think you may post different one (like install Windows after Linux), preferably with screenshots.

dual bootDual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

Yes.  I have a Windows machine.  I insalled Ubuntu 9.  It now dual boots. The first thing I want to do is change the boot order so that Windows is first in the selection.

I keep poking around in various forums and I keep seeing that I need to edit /boot/grub/menu.1st.  However, (problem 1) I can't find any such file on my machine.

-question by Mike

Boot Sequence in ubuntu 9(Windows First)Dual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

in terminal type 

$su 

password:

(go to the Super user)

and type cd boot/grub/grub.Cfg

change 

### BEGIN /etc/grub.D/30_os-prober ###Menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {   insmod ntfs   set root=(hd0,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7468a40c4c08f009   chainloader +1}### END /etc/grub.D/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.D/10_linux ###Menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {   recordfail=1   if [ -and ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi   set quiet=1   insmod ext2   set root=(hd1,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50   linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50 ro quiet splash   initrd  /boot/initrd.Img-2.6.31-14-generic}Menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)" {   recordfail=1   if [ -and ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi   insmod ext2   set root=(hd1,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50   linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50 ro single   initrd  /boot/initrd.Img-2.6.31-14-generic}### END /etc/grub.D/10_linux ###

-reply by Sukuram

Boot Sequence in ubuntu 9(Windows First)Dual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

in terminal type 

$su 

password:

(go to the Super user)

and type cd boot/grub/grub.Cfg

change 

### BEGIN /etc/grub.D/30_os-prober ###Menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {   insmod ntfs   set root=(hd0,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7468a40c4c08f009   chainloader +1}### END /etc/grub.D/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.D/10_linux ###Menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" {   recordfail=1   if [ -and ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi   set quiet=1   insmod ext2   set root=(hd1,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50   linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50 ro quiet splash   initrd  /boot/initrd.Img-2.6.31-14-generic}Menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)" {   recordfail=1   if [ -and ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi   insmod ext2   set root=(hd1,1)   search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50   linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=ff181e28-91d8-420e-a5e2-9fd466c97d50 ro single   initrd  /boot/initrd.Img-2.6.31-14-generic}### END /etc/grub.D/10_linux ###

-reply by Sukuram

My friend has recently installed Kubuntu 9.10 alongside Vista on his laptop. The installation process was simple. The only thing that isn't immediately obvious is that you should defragment your Windows install before installing Kubuntu if you need to resize partitions. Resizing partitions generally works better if Windows has all its files in one place rather than scattered all over the drive. After that, just pop the Kubuntu CD in, reboot and start the installation process. At the partitioning stage resize the partitions to give you a bit of free space on your Windows partition (if you intend to continue using it) and at least 20GB for Kubuntu. You'll also need a 1-2GB swap partition too. Let the installation finish, reboot and Vista is alongside Kubuntu automatically in the boot loader.

I have same problem would like to change boot sequence of ubuntu 9.1 so that vista is first option and default. Can anyone help.

-reply by Sy Oliven

Did the dual thing but having problemsDual Boot: Vista & Ubuntu

hey.

I did the Vista/Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot by following a guide from the net.

Only thing, the guy didn't say to defrag before carving out the new partition

with the Ubuntu partition program.  As a result, my machine is unstable.

Vista has a hard time starting after Ubuntu has been operating.  Vista

goes through several "fix" attempts before it finally starts.  I think this is

because the Ubuntu partition program carved out the new partition instead

of having the Vista partition program do it.  I have tried to fix the install

with ntfsfix but it doesn't stay stable.  It says it is fixed but isn't.  I'm thinking

the only way to fix a dually laptop is to wipe out ubuntu, repartition the

space so Vista partitioner does it, and then load ubuntu.  I think the

Vista partition table is corrupted by the Ubuntu partioner.  Any thoughts?

Much appreciated.

-reply by AdamAnt