xisto Community
inverse_bloom

A Site Ive Been Working On

I like the design. Its nice and simple although restricting in terms of being able to utilize all the space available. On my browser I have a lot of empty space 1440 x 900 resolution. Its not a big issue. I think you have done an awesome job ^^

Not quite as valid as you want: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%ine&group=0

Although, to be fair, all those errors are caused by closing one link statement just with a > rather than /> so it should be an easy fix.

The design is good. As sonesay mentioned, there is quite a bit of empty space, but that is no reason to fill it up! Your site looks good at its current size. One thing I would like to see is being able to get larger images in your portfolio. The small previews are OK, but I clicked them expecting to get a popup with a larger image, or perhaps a page with more information about the project. Instead, I got nothing. Other than that, not a lot else to say about it and good luck ;)

Oh my god... that's very good... I don't really get what rvalkass means by "not valid", though I've heard the term many times before in different websites having a "not valid" HTML. Apparently Xisto is "not valid" too... in one of those web hosting (free) reviews that I see around. I don't really care though, as long as the forums works and as long as the myCENTS sends and calculates properly, I'm fine with that.

Its a nice layout, but as people have said, it uses very little space. I personally dont like pages where you focus on only part of the page. Im not really sure how you could change the design to use more space without a big redesign.Its very effective, uses a good colour scheme, and the navigation is also quite effective from a user friendlyness point of view.You could consider stretching the page down so the content reaches the bootom of the page, and pad out the sides with a texture (the grey colour fading to the black) so that the same layout would use up more space.... Im not sure how that would look, just an idea.

Thanks everyone for your time in replying, the resolution issue is something that i thought would be brought up i just did'nt know how important it would be. I designed it for 800x600 screens upwards... actually after just checking over some web stats ive just confirmed that this is indeed very wrong. I actually prefer having a bit of free space on it (not as much as it is know), it changes the aesthetic enough to make it look individual, although i do endeavor to keep it as functional as possible. In response to rvalkass' post - that was a line of script i added after validation, no problems though only take 10 minutes max. The portfolio issue was something that was a definite weak point im glad you confirmed it, some reworking is in order. In response to nameless_ post - having HTML/CSS etc validated ensures you get better search engine ranking, although it isn't an exact science with no guaranteed results. I'm mainly focusing on having it "totally" validated so i can put up the "HTML/CSS validated..." for marketing purposes. In reponse to minimcmonkey's post - I know what your saying, ill have to think about that a bit. One aim i was hoping to achieve was strong typographical layout (kind of like a magazine) but i let it go while building the site. I reckon ill have to revisit that aspect. The layout you mentioned i thought about and continue too... I guess see what happens. (I want to get into flash later and wan't flow on from anything i have up now).

Not a bad website. Very good design, or better simple and easy to understand design. But you have too little content on your site, and not very well arranged. So you created a portfolio but I don't see anything about it. The way to contact is the only thing there, no comments or any kind of special script.

Howdy partners, V2 just came of the production line and is ready for blast off...If people could kindly reset their cache (browsing history), so the new site shows up properly, that be great. Portfolio fixed, site validated, improved design, junk script code removed, widget x.... what is widget x you ask?.... who cares...I'm ready for another wave of hellfire, give it to me...Just kidding any comments are important to me. Time to hit the sack for today, getting late. By the way webishqiptar does the contact page look a little better?

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Howdy partners, V2 just came of the production line and is ready for blast off...
If people could kindly reset their cache (browsing history), so the new site shows up properly, that be great. Portfolio fixed, site validated, improved design, junk script code removed, widget x.... what is widget x you ask?.... who cares...

I'm ready for another wave of hellfire, give it to me...

Just kidding any comments are important to me. Time to hit the sack for today, getting late. By the way webishqiptar does the contact page look a little better?

I must say, by the time I've seen this new version, I have already forgotten your old one.... sad.. but I think it was more floral and more brown. But anyway... I like it!!! Theres prominant shades of grey... sorry, I meant dominant, and I like your logo very much. I'm sorry I can't give you a more criticising comment, but I really can't because your site is more than what I can hope for in mine. And I don't criticisize people when I can't do half a job as good as them. ;)

But anyway... good job!!! I'm looking forward to any new refinements and anything on your part, but I must say that this is one of the best sites I've seen here in my short stay that Xisto has hosted... Good work and everything!!!

Did you script everything yourself???
(Thought I would reply because no one did and it was on the very rock bottom of the New Posts page... sorry for my crap, useless comment... but at least I bumped it back up to the top... right?)

Na, your posts are valued m8, personally I value the fact that the trap is "open" to various opinions and personalities in whatever form they may be (makes for interesting conversation, but also a change from physical life. Well at least for me).Hey Nameless_ if you need any tips for site design in future ill be happy to give em, or better yet wait for some of my tuts to come through (I endeavor to make them as practical and well thought as possible and give exactly as advertised). Anyway, the tone within the overall composition (the colors) I'm still considering and may change, I'm kinda looking at some of the recent Adobe products particularly "Adobe Extension Manager" to get inspiration from (odd source i know). I'm still not happy with the arrangement of elements inside the main box, its too free floating and lacking a strong consistent gridded layout through out the site. Time to look through magazines for inspiration and translate those ideas to screen. I really need to make some more content to help though. Could take a couple of days.

We'll I've made my third and final major design revision and feeling comfortable with it. I don't think I'll spend any more time on improvements because I've got more pressing priorities to attend to. If anyone has more comments/criticism's they wish to make by all means go for it, all comments will help me in future, thankyou.

Hi i have just completed most of my site if anyone is interested. Hopefully over the next couple of months i'll get a few tuts up on it, but that will be gradual. Unfortunately i dont know enough about making javascript (ajax) SEO friendly, so navigation for instance is much more crudely constructed than i would have prefered.
Its my business site so its main function is to advertise my portfolio and get business. If anyone has any ideas on how it can be improved in this way, i'd be happy to take any constructive comments you have to offer. Also if anything is out of place (the positioning of elements goes pear shaped) i'd really like to know.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Thanks.

The coloring scheme of your website is great - black, gray, red and white. The contrast of text and background is not too sharp to make my eyes uncomfortable. But I would like to recommend you to make the top margin of the content frame wider, at most 2em is okay.

Peace of cake probably take 20 minutes max. I like your thinking I'll take another look!

Ah.. alexthemans, you really are the mans. Although i only shifted the main content box down 5px its a noticable improvement. I also increased the top padding for all text in the main content box 3px to relieve the tension a little further. Later i may try to add a bit more visual interest by adding more graphics, maybe after i finish a couple of tuts for it.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I think it's great. The color scheme works well here, and it stays consistent throughout. It's clean yet not bland, and the size of everything is perfect. Looks highly professional; well done! :lol: