xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spurious

Answering The 'sacked' Question

I began working for Target at the end of September 2009 about 3 weeks later my Dad's health took a turn for the worst and I had to miss a few days of work. From there everything with him went wrong and my manager knew what was going on. I received compliments from a few of my supervisors but one supervisor in particular found it necessary to give me a hard time, I guess just because. I never had any troubles with anyone or any complaints about anything except for the nights she was supervising. One night my friend who lives over seas called me to tell me his grandmother (she also was like my grandmother, I've known them for years) passed away I was very late for coming back from my lunch finding out this news on top of the health and state of Father sent me into hysteria it never crossed my mind to call work I could barely speak straight once I pulled it together I returned to work to speak with my current sup. she asked me if I wanted to go home and I said no I'll try to make it through the night. She sent me to help over in a different department and I went over there to help, my mind was fogged a little so did sort of forget what to do in that dept. but I managed it as well as I could mid-way into my time over there I heard the person I was helping call for the supervisor to switch to a private channel all of a sudden I get told to switch to a private channel and I get ridiculed ... I was doing my work properly and I did not run off as he had accused me of doing. Throughout the night all I did was help out in places where I was needed without any hesitations -- in fact it was this way throughout my entire time at my job. My 2nd week at Target I received recognition for outstanding work and taking initative and this was during holiday season. I had the entire electric dept. in shape and within 1 hour I began getting the Halloween isle in tip-top condition, towards the end of that a co-worker did come and assist me in touching it up to ensure it was perfect. Whenever I completed my duties I set out to see if there was something else, if not I would help a co-worker. I never complained, ever.
So fast forward a little bit to Christmas, I told one of the other managers that I would not be able to stay and work late on Christmas Eve she said ok the reasons were my Father Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were his favorite and he wanted me with him fearing it may be our last Christmas, naturually I said ok. So I reminded them that day that I had to leave at 4pm to be with my family. When I returned to work the following Saturday it was time for my evaluation ... surprise, surprise guess who wrote out the eval? The very supervisor who seemed to get herself off with giving me a hard time but the only thing was she asked one of the decent sup. to give me the evaluation. When reading through my evaluation she even seemed shocked, each one was 'Very Dissatisfied' with work, helping co-workers, following dress code, etc up until attendence and I received a 'Somewhat satisfied' ... we all know my attendence had some flaws because of my Father's constant hospitalizations and requirement for care. A few weeks prior to my evaluation I did inform them that I may be leaving in two weeks (it was best because of the family situation) the evalation happened about 1 week before it would have made the two weeks.

So my eval ::
Work ; very dissatisfied. . . my work was always done correctly except for a maybe 3 nights where it was just a catastrophe because of the amount of customers and lack of help. And believe me there was always a lack of help. In fact I also requested the supervisor or team lead's show me how to do certain things like properly labeling merchandise and how to put in applications for credit cards for customers wanting a Target card.

Helping co-workers; very dissatisfied. . . i always helped when i could and none of the co-workers expressed dissatisfaction with me, there was one old lady who just loved drama. I even helped the supervisor do her job once.

Following dress code; very dissatisfied/spoke with employee twice. . . I could have walked around this way or I could have slipped on a jacket. A month later it was freezing inside and all I had was a gray sweater in my locker, I put that on and I told her I was cold if I could wear the sweater for a little bit. She just looked at me and nodded. All day I heard about how you're suppose to only wear red tops and khaki bottoms, I had the sweater on for maybe 30 min. then tossed it into a cart. Mind you one of the employees there was wearing a navy sweater completely concealing the red shirt and has worn it like that for the entire time I was working there! I didn't point that out because to say "Well she's doing it" is kind of 2nd grade to me.

Attendence and being on time; somewhat satisfied. . . ok I did not miss a great deal of time but for someone who just began I did miss more then I should haved however the manager and supervisors were all understanding of the situation at home. To say my attendence was better then my work was a huge stab because I know good and well that's *BLEEP*.

It might of been a blessing I was let go because the next few months were much worse with my Father and in April I lost him.

With the funeral expenses and paying off some of the rest of his bills I'm without a lot of money and I need a job, even part-time. But now I don't even know what to put on an application when it asks if I've been terminated before. There were times at my job where I could have pushed a little harder, we all do a little better but the evaluation was by far very unfair and the girl having to read it to me even sounded upset. I can't explain to you how much the one sup put me through unfairly.

I don't know what I should do here now. What do I say and should I inform corporate about the problem I had even though it was 6 months ago? I am a great worker and even the temp I was hired through applauded my workmanship. This is why it's very hard on me and because I am only freshly 19 I can't imagine how this looks. But it isn't correct at all.

Notice from rvalkass:

I'm really sorry to hear about all the crap you've gone through... and it's one of those harder lessons in life that it may seem that no matter what you do right, crap happens in the worst way. I hope that something good comes up. You seem to deserve it. ;) As far as the real world goes, there's always going to be someone you rub the wrong way or that someone that's just a natural douchebag, no matter what. The hugely-unfair practice here is that even though people sympathize with you, I didn't hear one mentioning of anyone actually sticking up for you. If I was your supervisor to read that evaluation and if I had the authority to, I would throw it out... and if I couldn't, I would at least challenge it. Who actually supervised you, the douchebag or someone else? I know you were all over the place, but I don't understand how they could pinpoint just one person to do your evaluation. Given the fact that you probably worked unsupervised helping everyone else out and that not just one person actually witnessed your work ethics and your performance, I would think that upper management asked for your evaluation and the douchebag volunteered just to give you a hard time.Like I said, natural douchebags are beyond saving. Your only hope for comeuppance is if he or she slips and everyone else pounds on that person for the mistake, driving her back into the ground.As far as actually talking about this particular issue, I would bring it up as soon as you can to a supervisor who will actually help you. Every company has a sort of open-door policy where you can voice out certain issues, and if you're going to be staying in the company, that sort of evaluation will keep you from moving upwards. Even if you don't stay within the company, and if a future employer calls up Target and asks human resources about you, and that HR person has no clue about you personally so he or she pulls up your file and sees that evaluation, HR will reiterate what's on that paper. Just think about how much harm one piece of paper can do.Talk to your human resources representative/director and your first-line supervisor (or one that you are comfortable with that knows you well professionally), and address these concerns.That's my 2 cents.