xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Will We Ever See The "future" Depicted In Movies?

This is one of the crazy ideas you get while watching movies. Especially movies that talk about the future, most of which fall under the scientific - fiction (sci-fi) category. The writers write the story using their imagination, but the director has his own plans and depicts the future in such a glorious manner that we can't help thinking if we can ever see such a future at any point in our lives at all.

One thing that we must ask ourselves is that, how much of that future has come true now? There was once a time when films which showed robots (such as Star Wars) became instant hits. At that time, we couldn't know whether or not we would see any such things in the future. But today we have some pretty interesting robots, which are very intelligent. Not as intelligent as shown in the movies but intelligent nevertheless. Robots are just an example.What about the tons of other things shown?

Put aside films - let's take the example of a well-known animation series - The Jetsons. It was based entirely in the future, full of flying cars and space travel. People lived in tall skyscrapers and it was difficult to tell whether they were in space or on earth. But they captured the imaginations of many people and hence became a hit. It's all very well to create a cartoon or a movie. All it takes is a good script and some computer work. But it's not that easy to bring those things into the real world, is it? But today's scienctists are referring to a lot of movie scripts to come up with new inventions!

The flying car is a good example. It was shown in many movies and cartoons and such. Taking it seriously, some people have come up with a real car that fnctions as an airplane. Flying Cars (Wikipedia) It's not very convenient to use because you need to find an airport/airfield everytime you want to take off/land. But still it's become a sort of reality.

Another example is taken from the James Bond films. I'm talking of the personal jetpack. I can't remember the title of the movie, but in it James Bond (Sean Connery) uses a jetpack to get out of trouble. This was soon made into reality and today it is possible to obtain such a contraption. Like this there are many examples but still, they aren't that great. We still don't have the stunning buildings and locales and a jammed sky full of vehicles and so on!

Will we ever get to see such a future? If so, when do you think we will get it? In the last decade, I don't think we have evolved that much to move closer to this kind of future. Wr have progressed, yes, but it's nothing compared to our previous achievements in the earlier centuries, where every year saw a remarkable number of scienctific advancements. I think after 20 years, all we will have achieved would be population explosion and nothing significant. That's because the best minds in each country are really busy in coming up with new ways to defend their country and are not thinking of the world in general.

I will eagarly be waiting for a day when we forget about attack/defense for a while and start thinking about achieveing something good for mankind's sake. Please give your opinion on this matter...

I will eagarly be waiting for a day when we forget about attack/defense for a while and start thinking about achieveing something good for mankind's sake. Please give your opinion on this matter...

You are not alone who is waiting for a day when there will be no fear of wars, no fear of terrorist attack. I am also eagerly waiting for that day when I can live a peaceful life and can say with proud that we all are united. Hopefully that day will come very soon, meanwhile, we can only pray to god who for sure will stop all these nonsense human activities.
Now coming to the topic I don't think we will be able to see every thing depicted in the movie. There are a lot of things that movie shows for example in movie "Transformers" there are machines which have feelings like human, infact they can also transforms themselves to large cyborgs if I am not wrong. Do you think we can see such things in real life? ;) So there are a lot of things which we are not possible in real life. By saying this I don't mean that we can't see buildings touching the sky, cars flying in the sky instead of traveling on the road, yes, we can, all these things are possible, but to convert these imaginations into reality we need time a lot of time, probably more than 50 years. It all depends on how much time we are spending on these imaginations to make them real.

Future ? Hmm. Earlier during 1980,1990 movies used to release concepts of touch screen computers, handhelds and mobiles of 2010,2020 etc. And i see that happening now. Only thing I've not able to see is improved AI, that is BOT improved enough to be replaced as human friend/worker. Also Holograms are no way going to be like that in the movie it's almost 2010 now. Human cloning, hmm no that is going to happen either(atleast no legally).

Improvements in vehicles ? yes, there is improvement every year. Waterfuelcell, is finally a working prototype. We are yet to have vehicle that can fly. Vehicles on electric supply are now reality. Small cars like NANO are not new and they're lost the hype way earlier. No, there is no flying car working prototype yet.

I'll be looking for dream reader machines, better hologram display and AI that pretends like human and list goes on. I know some things in this wish list are hard to innovate, so i won't be seeing them in my lifetime at least. Maybe future generations. : p

World with peace ? Hmm, with humans multiplying everyday and more humans breaking law and humanity how can we expect peace from this world ? Besides as long as there are religious fanatics trying to force their perceptions of god on others, such terrorism,crime like thing will continue to happen. I don't think so that so-called world peace will ever be there if we continue to populate this planet at such a rate. So our focus should be on poverty, literacy, crime-free[?] world atleast.

I think that the future will come the day the scientists working on the stuff free their minds from the constraints of materialism. They have, and so have we, been taught that the world is made of matter, when quantum physics proved it is made up of energy.When that barrier is finally broken, I expect we will see many technological imporvements to our lives, maybe even to rival that of the past 50-100 last years.As to make the human race better, as in good, I think we can start now, by doing what the late Michael Jackson had been saying for decades:'I'm starting with the man in the mirror.'

I dont think that in 1000 years time the world will look anything like any movies predict.Although some things we see in movies may have been made possible by then, so there will be some things.In the future, computer technology may stop advancing. There will be a time when physics will stop the advances in certain technology. I wonder if some things will never be possible (teleportation, time travel etc) We acccept that matter cannot be created or destroyed, but im sure 500 years ago no one expected machines which could make millions o decisions in fractions of a second!Technology has made made many aspects of life easier, and will probably carry on to do so for a long time.There are concerns like energy - We cant expect to see huge advances in much if we cant make enough energy.But I cant see how we can imagine what will happen.I doubt that 500 years ago people could possibly imagine anything like what the world is now. And I doubt that much that people predict will be accurate.....

Even though we might not imagine it, some movies can reflect what is going to happen in a few years from now on. Even if it really doesn't seem that technology is going to get as far as they're describing it, we couldn't have imagined in the past how the present actually is. That's one of the reason why I believe it's possible. Anyway, some movies go too far on imagination.

Most likely not.The movies over predict how things will be in the future.Where are the flying cars? The food that you drop water on, and it creates a whole meal.Maybe one day we will have these things, but it does not seem very likely.

well maybe :D sometime we can see a very high technology future because everyday technology is evolving andI don't really understand why the technology is so fast in case of upgrades new techs everyday, updates :)the more the longer the technology is released the cheaper the price and about the flying cars we have them now butthey are not available publicly because of some pros and cons. Something also discover about the Sex RobotI don't know if you knew about this guys :( its a Robot created by someone xD how ridiculous people wants tocreate everything

well maybe :D sometime we can see a very high technology future because everyday technology is evolving andI don't really understand why the technology is so fast in case of upgrades new techs everyday, updates :)
the more the longer the technology is released the cheaper the price and about the flying cars we have them now but
they are not available publicly because of some pros and cons. Something also discover about the Sex Robot
I don't know if you knew about this guys :( its a Robot created by someone xD how ridiculous people wants to
create everything

I doubt that is why they have not been *released*, and they have not been made yet I am sure.
If they ever make them, though, they will be a crap load of money.
Sex robots is just pathetic, though, and really pointless.
Who is so pathetic they need to have sex with an artificial intelligent piece of technology?
I hope things like that are not getting time wasted on them.

I doubt that is why they have not been *released*, and they have not been made yet I am sure.If they ever make them, though, they will be a crap load of money.
Sex robots is just pathetic, though, and really pointless.
Who is so pathetic they need to have sex with an artificial intelligent piece of technology?
I hope things like that are not getting time wasted on them.

I do agree to you xD I also laugh at them after seeing the video of that newly created Sex Robot its a wtf. They spend money
just for that? well only sex maniac will going to buy this Robot aha those who can't have a sex partner aha most likely

A few thoughts occurred to me over this issue, some related to each other, and some, disjoint.For instance, the future depicted by a lot of visual media, like the Jetsons, or, heaven help us, Futurama, is rather... too imaginative. Sure, it'd be nice for all of us to live on top of tall structures but I find it highly impractical. For one, if everyone wants to live up there, who's going to occupy the other floors? Or, supposing that we have saucer-shaped living areas on top of solid concrete steeples, what reason, aside from the half-baked projections of cartoon makers, would humanity have that would prompt them to leave behind the safe, stable ground and decide to live up there, buffeted by winds and at the cruel mercy of earthquakes?Okay, so let's just assume that rising water levels due to global warming made us live in the sky, where the ground level has long since been submerged into the ocean. Of course, we'd have our garages up there and our cars retrofitted to fly in 3d instead of navigating roads in 2d. A few more questions pop up: how do you manage traffic in three dimensions? What sort of protection or anchorage do you have against storms or occasional gusts of wind when you have no roads or wheels for traction? Without fences, how are citizens to protect themselves from some maniac who decides to ram his car against every structure in sight? Who is to save the poor soul who ran out of gas?How handy it is to stand in the present and view the hallway into the past! And, pretty much like picture frames along a hallway, things back there seem so much closer to each other, don't they? There sure are a lot of discoveries in the past, like fire and wheels and steam engines and circuit boards, mostly because we NEED them. Travelling to the country by a horse-drawn sled is an inconvenience. Waiting for mail by the Pony Express could very well be a matter of life and death. Dozens have died in pain and disease that could very well have been prevented. That's why have cars and choppers, email and SMS messages, medicine and vaccine.However, what daily inconveniences would be solved by a jetpack? A floating car? Laser blasters? Tall buildings? Uhm... sex robots?I think, sometimes, we need to think outside the box to progress. Other times, though, we have to get our heads off the silver screen... or the boob tube :)

in what i have seen, th e fututre in movies sometimes isnt real predicition but things that are currently happening but just not available to ordinary people. Th jet pack has been available long before the JAmes Bond film and it was only used in the military jus like the internet was an army tool for long time and only sortof became world wide after the army had been actually using it for many years. Because the military guys are told or rather sworn to secrecy they cant devulge this info and only leaked out info is what the movie directors pick and then use in exaggerated format.Sometimes when future predictions are made they are nothing like the future take ZOolander, when zoolander was made it was during a time when mobile fones were becoming smaller and smaller they were not as chunky as when they first started and everyne thought cell phones of the future would be even smaller so if you watch zoolander he has this rediciulously small mobile fone that never existed because mobile fones took the inbuilt camera route and the internet and gps touch screen route so they stopped getting smaller and now the thinner andlarger screen is more advanced than the smaller flip fones.As for the future world I dont know if anyone has noticed the future in films and movies has little sunlight. Its always like the sun is dead and its like the place is always dark. Yeah they over play the robots running earth thingy and electric cars but then who thought in future thered be plasma screens. Most future predicitions in filma actually have holograms or TVs built into walls not LCD, LED screens. I have neve seen a future or sci fi movie that had actually thought of concepts like Sky plus, Tivo and FOxtel Plus. There a predictions of hologram phone calls but i doubt anyone ares about hologram calls if they have simple video calling.Sci Fi clothes are really wired to it looks like coveralls in a different fabric or star treck like uniforms and its like there a robot war or curfew. There are limited black people and its as if the world is going to be full of white people lol. None of the future predictions are actually diversly populated. and they all seem to be about some computer that had artificial intelligent and went crazy and we fighting to win against a super computer.I dont know the future but if you take movies that depicted 2010 they are so dumb and unrealistic now that we are in 2010. haha I guess though one thing them futuristic films and movies did do was give us great entertainment.

The future is not predictable, I guess all we can predict is weather :) and climate changes so we can prevent them...I can't see why all users here opening such no useful debates. No one can predict the future even sci-fi movies from Steven Speilberg.