xisto Community
iGuest

how to stop virus from using the removable drives How To Safely Open Usb Drive Without Affecting Viruses

how to stop virus from using the removable drivesHow To Safely Open Usb Drive Without Affecting Viruses

My system has just been affected by virus .Now whenever I try to delete the virus file a message pops up saying that the file is in use and I cannot delete it.Moreover when I try to remove the usb drive a message says that the usb is in use and cannot be removed safely.

Can anyone tell me what virus this is and how can I remove it without formatting the system.Also how can I stop virus from using the removable drives.

HELP!!

-question by blackpearl

how to stop virus from using the removable drives

How To Safely Open Usb Drive Without Affecting Viruses

<p>My system has just been affected by virus .Now whenever I try to delete the virus file a message pops up saying that the file is in use and I cannot delete it.Moreover when I try to remove the usb drive a message says that the usb is in use and cannot be removed safely.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me what virus this is and how can I remove it without formatting the system.Also how can I stop virus from using the removable drives.</p>

<p>HELP!!</p>

-question by blackpearl

best thing is to scan in safe mode, that way no programs are running, also some anti-virus such as avast will let you schedual a scan when windows starts, when you first install avast it will give you that option. avast has a free home edition by the way all you need is to registered to get a free license, otherwise you can use it for 60 days.

if you know the name of the suspicius program, you can try removing it from starting up, type in msconfig and goto the startup tab and look for the entery for that file, it will show where the files are stored in startup and in the registery, just uncheck the program you don't want to startup and restart. but this doesn't always work for viruses as they can put themselfs back in the startup. so the best option is to go in safe mode. also you can try killing the process, from the task manager, but sometimes you get the access denied messages.

best thing is to scan in safe mode, that way no programs are running, also some anti-virus such as avast will let you schedual a scan when windows starts, when you first install avast it will give you that option. avast has a free home edition by the way all you need is to registered to get a free license, otherwise you can use it for 60 days.

You can register/apply for a FREE license yes. But im not to struck on avast as its not all great as it sounds.

if you know the name of the suspicius program, you can try removing it from starting up, type in msconfig and goto the startup tab and look for the entery for that file, it will show where the files are stored in startup and in the registery, just uncheck the program you don't want to startup and restart. but this doesn't always work for viruses as they can put themselfs back in the startup. so the best option is to go in safe mode. also you can try killing the process, from the task manager, but sometimes you get the access denied messages.

None of that will work, Its all modern virus's now. ;)

Can anyone tell me what virus this is and how can I remove it without formatting the system.Also how can I stop virus from using the removable drives.

Go and download a program called malware, Dont get the payed though there is no need.

Phoneix.

BitDefender is the most effective anti-virus available today (Source) and its free edition, available for one year, is more than enough to scan and remove any viruses present in your computer now. Scan all your drives thoroughly with the latest version and all the viruses will be removed.

As for how to stop viruses from using the removable drives, first of all disable Autoplay in your system. If you do this, the removable drive won't be automatically loaded as soon as you plug it in. This way you can scan the drive before loading it. Then your system will be safe.

The best solution is - I have given this to everyone who has such problems - to install Linux on your system, keeping it along with Windows. Then all your internet and devices' work can be done in Linux, which is virtually virus-proof, and the rest of the offline work such as photoshop, gaming, etc can be done in Windows. This is a convenient solution which has worked for a lot of people. If you are interested, give it a try. I would recommend using Ubuntu Linux as it is the best place to start trying out Linux. You can download a free copy at Ubuntu.com and also order a cd to be delivered to your house free of cost ;)

Go and download a program called malware, Dont get the payed though there is no need.

Don't confuse the OP. What you mean is anti malware. If you type out 'download malware' in any search engine you could land on sites which will put malware on your system, thus harming it. So please don't use such terms! The proper word is anti-malware which eradicates any presence of malware. Bitdefender free edition takes care of this menace too so you need not download multiple programs. Edited by kasperooney (see edit history)

Well, Simpleton have given some good points. However, in practice, antivirus programs may not able to kill those scums when they are executed. One of the possible way is using any antivirus software which supports scan drives before initalizing Windows GUI. I know Avast! can do this.The point to stop harmful things in removable devices to be executed automatically is to disable AutoPlay for removable devices. You may use system tweaking tools like MS Power Toys, TweakVista to do so. After that, do not forget to scan the devices by any updated AntiVirus program.

use avira antivirus.its free and capable too.

once your system is virus free ,take these steps to avoid viruses from your system

1.insert the removable media.

2.go to my computer and get the drive icon.(eg. g:) **don't hit on the drive icon**

3.go to command prompt typing cmd in run box.

4.type drive icon: (eg. g:) to goto that drive.

5.type autorun.inf and press enter,,if a notepad opens there is a virus(most probably)

6. type attrib -s -h -r autorun.inf and press enter

7. type del autorun.inf

8. now open your drive typing drive icon: in run box.

9.treat files carefully and all folders icon are never folders only.check its property before opening.if its a file folder,,its ok.if program,dont open ,,,its a virus.simply delete it

When I encounter this problems, here is what I do.

One important thing to remember, do not double click the usb drive icon for it will lunch the virus on the drive.

To open the drive, you can enter the drive name e.g

F:\
then press enter.

1. Download the program hijackthis from trend micro.

2. Turn off your computer then start it in safe mode (Press F8 when booting up to be able to select safe mode).

3. Run hijackthis and remove suspicious programs that looks like viruses, most common file names are(newfolder.exe,explorasi.exe. etc..) These viruses are mostly located in C:\windows, C:\windows\system32, D:\ , C:\.

4. Remove all instances of the said viruses by selecting checkbox then pressing "Fix Checked".

5. Now you need to view hidden files and delete those viruses, you can view hidden files by selecting

Tools -> Folder Options -> view -> then select view hidden files and folders, Uncheck also hide protected system files

6. Restart your computer then insert USB drive and delete those viruses.

Remember not to double click the icon in opening the drive.

To your problem: I have had these kind of problem the simplest sollution is, if files are not important then format your usb and if you want to save your files you must have to scan your usb to remove the viruses. but here is the problem. if you somehow successful to delete your files and virus reside in the computer then you will have same problem in future. so sollution is to have good antivirus.I will suggest Kaspersky. I found it very reliable and best. I have no problem even in windows 7 where most of antiviruses has compatiblity issues with windows 7.Source: Experience

1. Download the program hijackthis from trend micro.

2. Turn off your computer then start it in safe mode (Press F8 when booting up to be able to select safe mode).

3. Run hijackthis and remove suspicious programs that looks like viruses, most common file names are(newfolder.exe,explorasi.exe. etc..) These viruses are mostly located in C:\windows, C:\windows\system32, D:\ , C:\.

4. Remove all instances of the said viruses by selecting checkbox then pressing "Fix Checked".

5. Now you need to view hidden files and delete those viruses, you can view hidden files by selecting

Tools -> Folder Options -> view -> then select view hidden files and folders, Uncheck also hide protected system files

6. Restart your computer then insert USB drive and delete those viruses.

Remember not to double click the icon in opening the drive.

Well, Simpleton have given some good points. However, in practice, antivirus programs may not able to kill those scums when they are executed.

One of the possible way is using any antivirus software which supports scan drives before initalizing Windows GUI. I know Avast! can do this.

The point to stop harmful things in removable devices to be executed automatically is to disable AutoPlay for removable devices. You may use system tweaking tools like MS Power Toys, TweakVista to do so. After that, do not forget to scan the devices by any updated AntiVirus program.

BitDefender is the most effective anti-virus available today (Source) and its free edition, available for one year, is more than enough to scan and remove any viruses present in your computer404.png[/url] now. Scan all your drives thoroughly with the latest version and all the viruses will be removed.

As for how to stop viruses from using the removable drives, first of all disable Autoplay in your system. If you do this, the removable drive won't be automatically loaded as soon as you plug it in. This way you can scan the drive before loading it. Then your system will be safe.

The best solution is - I have given this to everyone who has such problems - to install

Linux on your system, keeping it along with Windows. Then all your internet[/url] and devices' work can be done in Linux, which is virtually virus-proof, and the rest of the offline work such as photoshop, gaming, etc can be done in Windows. This is a convenient solution which has worked for a lot of people. If you are interested, give it a try. I would recommend using Ubuntu Linux as it is the best place to start trying out Linux. You can download a free copy at Ubuntu.com and also order a cd to be delivered to your house free of cost

For windows there is one software called USB safely remove. They earlier opened one offer that gives free license to their recent version. I got one license from them. After using this program i can say that the way it controls USB devices is great. It can be useful in case of virus protection as it doesn't allow autorun execution of USB drives. You can control that. I don't know if there is any utility on linux like this. If anyone knows then please update about this here.

Maybe the solution is more simple than you think, read this list to be more clear:1. Go to the USB icon and rigth-click and deactivate the automatic reproduction. This step is very important because once you deactivate all the automatic reproduction the virus can?t affect your computer when you insert the removable drive in you usb port.2. Go to softonic.com or maybe in a warez site when you want and download a good antivirus software. The best are in order of quality and performance: Kaspersky Antivirus, Nod32 Esset, Norton Antivirus, Panda Antirus, AVG and BitDefender Antivirus.3. Once you have downloaded your prefered antivirus software, disconnect your pc from the internet and scan the entire disks and of course connect your usb removable drive and scan whith the antivirus software. I personally recommend you to use the "desinfect or delete file" option in the settings of the antivirus software.4. Once your removable media is clean and if it is a pendrive. Back up all the files inside the pendrive and download a sofware named Hp removable format tool which is a software made by Hewlett-Packard to format removable drives and believe it is a very good software. Why you have to format you pendrive? Simple, the problem with the safe remove of the pendrive are originated by problems in the structure of the Fat32 system in your pendrive which it is very vulnerable against viruses. So the format will help you to have your pendrive clean like new.I hope all this steps will help you. Bye.

Well, I think I have had that virus in my time, due to the school network spreading it all around. There are some ways to get rid of it, especially if it's the one I think it is:

1. You can download a program called "ninja.exe" here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ . If it's the virus I believe it is, it should use a file called "autorun.inf" (that's a hidden file), and ninja.exe should get rid of it every time you plug your removable drive into your computer.

2. You can format your removable drive. This, however, will delete all your files, so be sure to back them up first. Plug your device in, then go to "My Computer", right click on it, then select format, and click "Start".

Hope this helps! And try getting a good antivirus like Symantec, Avast! or AVG.

Warez is not legal on this forum...This is nice way to get rid of virus but not free, one anti virus program is not cheap.My USB device is infected and i can't get rid of the virus on USB.I tried to scan it with lots of anti virus programs but still it can't find the file.I tried to remove the files but still they are making.The USB is infecting my computer every time i will connect it and i need to launch scanner to remove it and because it says that file is in the windows folder, to be safe i need to restart computer.So i hate my USB and i am not using it.It have 1GB,but not sure how much it really have because there are hidden files i can't see them-my folder option for viewing hidden files is on but still they are hidden.So i have,i think 900MB.Should i format my USB,i don't have important files?

Well, make sure you back up your files first, before you do. However, I don't think that'll fix the problem, as your computer has been infected with it as well, so everytime you plug your USB into the computer, it'll get infected.I suggest trying ninja.exe first, or simply blocking the program. Well, create a limited account, and block the program (If you click on Tools--->Folder Options--->View--->Unclick Hide System Files thing, you should be able to see a folder called recycler or whatever, as well as a file called autorun, or autorun.inf. Open autorun.inf, and read it until you find the program's name (something.exe)Block it. If you don't know how to, Google it. Also, deleting the autorun.inf file and the virus won't help - they'll keep coming back.