xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
livepcportal

Edge Technolgy Explained

EDGE is an acronym for Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. It is also known as EGPRS or Enhanced GPRS.

It is a digital mobile phone technology which enables faster and more reliable data transfer. Although this technology is a part of the 3G

definition, it is classified as a 2.75G technology. EDGE is compatible with GSM networks.

EDGE benefits especially for users who work with data applications requiring high speed, like multimedia programs.

There is still a huge difference between EDGE and 3G. The speed of the former is minimal compared with the latter's.I have EDGE technology on my phone and it takes from half a minute to a minute to connect to Internet (establishing the EDGE link to the network), then loads the page.From what I have experienced with a Nokia 73, owned by a friend of mine, connection to Internet is much faster as well as the speed it has once connected.My phone (Nokia 3500 classic) has also another problem, but I think that's for another topic. And it's that I can surf the web from the phone's browser. However, I can't access Internet from mobile applications. It says "invalid package access point". I tried every configuration I could and checked the manual twice but I couldn't see how to fix it..

In theory, 3G should be faster than EDGE. I use a 3G modem when I'm not at home. Recently, I noticed that switching from 3G to EDGE is beneficial during peak hours. This may have something to do with how 3G is shared in a node. I'm not sure though but this is what I observed so far. I also noticed that EDGE is more stable than my 3G connection. From what I can think of, most people use 3G that its connection degrades during peak hours. While EDGE maintains its speed because of smaller numbers of people hooked into it. Or it could also be on how local 3G providers implement the technology.

I have used 3g modems before... Really fast and great download speeds... It was around 8 mbps down and 2 mbps upload... As promised i did get 8 mbps download....Edge is crappy or just the isp's providing edge in my country are crappy....They report that edge modems have a max speed upto 3 mbps... But the max speed which i have ever encountered is 1.8 mbps and the slowest was 3-4 kbps.... 3g is faster than edge and the video calling is really a great and new way to communicate....