xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cangor

Ajax Post Vs. Get arrrgh...

Mmkay, so what I'm doing is submitting some form data to a php script using AJAX. In AJAX, as you may or may not know, there's two methods of submitting data, post and get. "get" is what you see when a webpage ends in "get.php?variable=3478&value=fgf....." etc... whereas post data is hidden. Another main difference is that post can send much longer variables, whereas get is limited.

I'm working on something where I have to use post because I have some long strings that need to be sent. I can get everything working with my script using "get," but for some reason when I change it to post, the php script doesn't get the values of the variables. I'm assuming my error is in the php script, but I have no idea where, cause it's just a simple email script, and should just pick up the values of the submitted variables using the $_POST command. Does anybody have any ideas of why this may not be working?

The relevant part of my PHP code is just:

$to = $_POST['eaddress'];		$headers = 	'From: email@domain.com'. "\r\n" .				'Reply-To: email@domain.com'. "\r\n" .				'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();		$subject = $_POST['esubject'];		$message = htmlspecialchars($_POST['emessage'])."\n".$_POST['edata'];				if(mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers))		{			echo 'Email sent successfully!';		}		else {			echo "Error during message sending. Please try again.";		}

Thanks! ;)
Notice from rvalkass:

Merged 5 identical posts.

Without scrutinising your PHP code in too much detail, and assuming that it worked well using $_GET originally, I suspect that your AJAX is actually a little off as the coding used for both methods is actually subtly different. Any chance we could have a peek at that too?One thing I should also point out is that it might be best to do some sort of validation/sanitation on the email address, as well as, say, the subject line and so on. Just for security reasons. ;)

Looks just fine even though we can't tell too much since we can't see the FORM parameters from the page you're posting from. That would help to notice the problem.