xisto Community
FruitRocks

Is Windows Hosting Safe?

Is Windows Hosting safe? I've always been very leery on Windows hosting because there is so many different ways on how you could compromise a server (e.x. DOS attacks, simple viruses, and many more). I've liked Linux hosting better because it is very hard to infect a Linux system.

Is Windows Hosting safe? I've always been very leery on Windows hosting because there is so many different ways on how you could compromise a server (e.x. DOS attacks, simple viruses, and many more). I've liked Linux hosting better because it is very hard to infect a Linux system.

Generally, Linux servers are considered more secure than Windows servers, due to the improved user security and permissions system on Linux, and the large number of viruses for Windows. However, those running Windows servers tend to chuck loads of security at them to make sure they are as safe and secure as they can be.

DOS (Denial of Service) attacks can be performed on any server, as the attack does not rely on gaining access to the system. The attack comprises of accessing a site on the server millions of times simultaneously, which most servers can't handle, so crash or go incredibly slowly for legitimate visitors.

"(e.x. DOS attacks)"

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted efforts of a person or people to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely. Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers.

Although they make it seem as people only attack "sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers," I do not find that entirly true. Often times it is what i just previously said, or the fact that somebody has a grudge against you. What I found after a quick research job, it seems like Linux has built in kernels in their system which you could edit to limit the amount of simultaneous connections to your server (may not be a good idea if you get a lot on a regular basis) and I am not sure about what windows has to prevent a DoS or DDoS attack.

I just think for basically overall better security (I'm guessing that is what you are looking for) a Unix built operating system is probably the best choice.

I hope I helped.

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

Over the past few months I have been observing the differences between windows and linux (in general and not particularly in hosting) and I can boldly say that there isn't anything special in windows hosting that isn't offered through Linux hosting. In windows hosting there is a free gift and that is the constant worry of being attacked ;) Linux isn't 100% secure, but at the moment it's the best we've got and it's becoming more and more indestructible by the day.

You may argue that windows hosting may seem a bit easier to use, but learning to use Linux isn't a big deal and anyone can easily do it within a few hours or so! So for important matters such as hosting, do not trust Windows :P

In my opinion, you should consider using Windows hosting if you want to host .NET web projects/applications/services and/or use MS SQL as the backend, and it guarantees greatest compatibility. Otherwise you are recommended to use Linux hosting.In general, for paid hosting, Linux-based hosting is usually cheaper than Windows-based one.

It is isn't a matter of safety if your running Windows hosting or Linux hosting and by the way Linux hosting is 100%, maybe 80-95 secured. Of course, the only difference between Windows and Linux hosting is the ability to run .NET applications and that's about it. Although with Windows you have to do a lot more to run PHP but it seems they will be improving with a new open source project going on to work with PHP.However, I would have to believe Windows hosting is more secured then people might think, granted a lot has to be done to make it secured, either way you could run a windows hosting and not really have to worry about anything if you know what your doing in the windows enviroment.

We can't say linux is 100% secure and windows is not 1% something like. But yes, windows is more prone to hacking attacks and PHP based scripts on windows host are more vulnerable to those attacks. So most of the time, people prefer linux hosting over windows. When you'll select windows hosting ?1) ASP/ASP.net sites2) Windows services/forms related hosting3) any windows related software(including Moonlight/silverlight content) hosting is better to be hosted on windows host. There are some web containers that do host .Net components on linux servers like apache's support to .net. or other web containers that allows ASP support. So far i've seen hosts which offer web application support for languages like python, ruby on rails, php and java prefer Linux host over windows. So at the end you've to decide which hosting will be for your needs. and then purchase.

The performance and stability of these two platforms has generated long term debates. I think the main reason that windows is considered or thought to be unsecure is because of being mostly used operating system on home pc and so much more people are looking for holes in the system. But linux is the mostly used server type operating system, and it has had a really big number of hack attemps made on it. The best thing to check is how reliable and successful the hosting company is and nevermind what kind of server type they are using.

.NET applications and such others are advanced features that not many members over here might be looking for. FOr all others Linux hosting is the best option available due to its security promise. There is no 100% guarantee that a linux server won't be compromised, but in all probability it won't happen any soon now ;)

Actualy Linux Hosting is better than Widows.I suppose that both of hosting systems are secure for using.I am working on the Linux because there is have a loT of open Source Technogogy...and its not difficult to use taht on windows you have a php and other programing languages so my opinion is if you like to your website looking GOOD use na Linux with Opensource its very easy!

Edited by donneo (see edit history)