xisto Community
The Simpleton

Can't We Allow A Change In Display Name?

Changing Display Name  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got this idea while replying to another topic....can't we change our display names in the forums? I am aware that this feature is available in the IPB package, because I use it frequently on another forum.On that forum, the users are allowed to change their display names thrice a month (not the "username" just the "display" name). The change is allowed only after checking if the new display name is available or not. I think this might not be a very huge feature, since some users are proud of their current display names and will stick to it for life, but there are others like me who are ready to create a new identity given a chance. So do you think this will or will not be a good idea? please say so so that the admins/mods can take a decision :P(my prediction - suggestion rejected! :P;) but I'm still optimistic.....)

Edited by kasperooney (see edit history)

Yes, yes and no.Yes - It will allow us to change our display names (obviously) and will be a help to the Admins.No - On the other hand, no. The reason to this answer is simple...members would continuously abuse this feature by changing their names all the time, and it can get annoying since we'd forget who is who, however we could all check each others Display Name Change log on their profile, though I'd rather not keep looking at their logs every time a member/friend of the forum changes their name.So my answer to this, would be no.

an expected answer, and I think the others will be like this as well! So I have another small suggestion, and that is, allowing users to change their display name only once or maybe thrice after registering. This way, no one can abuse the feature because they can use it only once, and for people like me, it will be a golden opportunity to think carefully and make the ultimate change! ;)

Well, maybe once in a 30 day period. This way, members can change their names every 30 days. It stops them from abusing, but doesn't permanently stop them from changing their names. ;)

an expected answer, and I think the others will be like this as well! So I have another small suggestion, and that is, allowing users to change their display name only once or maybe thrice after registering. This way, no one can abuse the feature because they can use it only once, and for people like me, it will be a golden opportunity to think carefully and make the ultimate change! :P

What's wrong with your name? I like it, and it's easy to recognise. Though if I had to chance to change my name... ;)

It'll be easier because I make new posts a lot for my questions, and I don't know if it gets annoying seeing my name on there all the time, so I'm thinking that if I can change me name, then there'll be different users (or looks like it) posting, and people will be fine by that.

But I suppose if you change it, then all "Nameless_'s" in this site will be changed to my new name... Oh well...

I think that this could be useful to many people but maybe adding restrictions

Make the change available for every month and like 6 times a year so it is not abused, and maybe next to there name have in like brackets their old name for a month.

If that is done I think it will work out.

Edited by Tramposch (see edit history)

What's wrong with your name? I like it, and it's easy to recognise.

It so happens that this is not a unique name. I came up with it by accident but later I noticed that there were other 'kasperooney's on other forums, and I don't like that fact very much. I want my display name to be unique and that's why I want a single chance to change it. Right now the poll is at a deadlock with 50-50 chances for both 'Yes' and 'No'. I'm waiting for an admin or a mod to give their thoughts because obviously it is them who have the power to change things like these ;) Anyway thanks to the others for sparing their thoughts and voting!

Well, maybe once in a 30 day period. This way, members can change their names every 30 days. It stops them from abusing, but doesn't permanently stop them from changing their names. ;)

The 30 day period sounds like a good idea. This is ideal for me because I don't get bored of my name within 30 days, I've always wanted to change my display name. Ah, it is up to the admins/mods for this to be decided.

there is a small lead in favour of my question right now but no one else seems to be interested in it :P Oh well all I'm waiting for is a mod/admin to look at this, because 'suggestions' ought to be monitored by those guys isn't it? ;)

Display name changes are allowed. Simply PM an Admin ( Buffalohelp or Opaque) to have your name changed.In my opinion, I think there would be too much confusion around here if Members were allowed to do their own name changes.

Display name changes are allowed. Simply PM an Admin ( Buffalohelp or Opaque) to have your name changed.
In my opinion, I think there would be too much confusion around here if Members were allowed to do their own name changes.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think name changes should only be allowed in crime-based online games and all that, and only allowed by administrators and moderators on different online communities - that is, you need to get approved by the top dogs before you get your name change. The reason for this is because in crime-based online games... well, crime is part of, or should I say THE fundament of the whole game itself, and by changing your name, you change your identity, so people that you fall out with will not be able to recognise you. However, if this system is to be place, everyone will be given an ID number in chronological order, from the first person that signs up, most often than not the admin themselves [1], to the last person that signs up, [xxx], whatever the number is up to...

This is to prevent different scams and all that by different people. And with the name change thing in forums, well, you can't exactly track who is who with their ID numbers, so names are the TAGS. However, if there was a disruptive member that constantly SPAMS the message boards and assault, harrass, bully or do whatever thing that they might do to break the Terms of Service and Rules of the respective forums, they can use the name changing feature to their advantage, constantly changing their names so people won't recognise them at all. By putting in the admin and mod authorization and acceptance of the Change of Name barrier, the scammers will NOT be allowed to change their names (if they are even stupid enough to apply in the first place), and the people that think that they have made the wrong choice of name when they signed up will be allowed a second chance without having to gain the reputation that they have gained in the times that they have spent on the message boards and lose their post count, which also reflects on their activeness on the boards and the number of times that they have posted, as well as their list of friends all all those personal details that you have to fix when you get a new account in the same old website or online community.

well it's good to know that there's an option - I'll send a PM right away - thanks for the tip jlhaslip ;) But I still somehow feel that members should get an option to change their name, even if it is only once in a year! Anyway, for now this system is good - thanks a lot for the help