xisto Community
-Sky-

Netgear Dg834g Router Issue's

Hi, not sure if it's our ISP, TalkTalk...but we keep having to reboot our Router alot of times.Our Internet connection keeps going VERY VERY slow. It takes nearly 5 minutes to load a page on a Wireless Connection (me, I am using a Wireless connection, NETGEAR WPN311 RangeMax PCI Adapter). Our main PC in our house is directly connected/wired up to our Router, and even that keeps being slow. Every time we reboot our Router, the Internet speed is fine for a few minutes, 10-15-20 to an hour or so, then it goes terribly slow again. I have suggested to my Dad to phone TalkTalk Customer Support, since they provide our Internet, but he says it may not be them that's the issue. I am only 16 (2/2/1993) and am in College doing Computer courses. I did a 2 year network analysis course, which I completed every task set to me. I know what I am talking about. ;)But this is just out of my knowledge. I don't know what's causing this issue. Could some of you members help me with this? What should I do to get our Internet speed fast again? Our Router was turned off for 2 weeks whilst we where at the U.S, but ever since we got back and switched everything back on, the speed of our Router has been outstandingly slow.Thank you.

In your router's configuration page / admin panel you should be able to see the figures for attenuation (measured in decibels). The higher the attenuation, the slower the Internet connection will be. Too high, and it can cause your connection to drop regularly, behave randomly and generally just be useless. Have a look and see if you can find the figures and post them here.Unfortunately, if they're too high, there isn't a massive amount you can do. The attenuation depends on the quality of the line connecting you to the telephone network. However, speaking to TalkTalk and telling them what the problem is might make them get it fixed.

Hey, thanks for replying back rval.I checked our Router again, this time I looked in "WAN Setup". I see the name " MTU Size (in bytes) - 1432". Is that it? If not, I have no idea where to find what you said above lol.

What you're looking for is something like below (from my router, a Thomson Speedtouch):

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 22.0

The figures give you an idea of what the quality of the line is like. The higher the numbers, the worse the quality of your phone line and therefore the worse the connection will be (slower, dropping out, etc.)

You can also look for a figure labelled SN Ratio or Signal-Noise Ratio. This also gives you an idea of how good your connection is. Here you want a higher figure, to show more useful signal is being received than random noise.

I was having the same problem months ago on a Thompson Speedtouch (My current router too), but well I just spoke to my ISP and they said the signal in my area was rubbish. But they could increase the bandwidth so it's now faster.Convince your dad to talk to the ISP.

You obviously didn't read my first post fully did you SV? We've already contacted TalkTalk more then 15 times about it. And they have not helped at all. So, today I totally rebooted my Router (the little reset button at the back to reset all the settings etc) and I've redone it myself. I fixed it all on my own today. All is working now. ;)

You want to check your downstream speed. Does your downstream speed match your internet package? Say that you are currently on 20MB broadband so your downstream speed should be something close to 20000kbps. If it isn;t then that maybe the reason as to why your internet is so slow. The only way to step up this downstream speed will be to call up talktalk and tell them to sort it out. It will take a bit of arguing but in the end they will do the job. (that's what i had to do with sky)Besides that, if your router is not directly connected to your main socket, it will have a significant impact on your speed. Make sure you are using the main telephone socket in your house, and you have the filters installed in every socket which is in use around the house. You may even wanna plug your router directly into the test socket to see if it improves the speed, and if it does then you can just leave it like that. (thats what i do)