xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miladinoski

Can't Erase Some Wordpress Plugins From The Server the server says I dont have the sufficient permissions

Hi, I'm having a big problem here because I am unable to erase some of the folders (and the files inside them) that contain WordPress plugins (I have lots of plugins so I can't test and tell you the exact number but it's around 15) I installed several months ago via the plugins panel of WordPress itself.Now when I try to erase them either via SSH (when I had the access 1 month ago - now canceled it), FTP or via the same WordPress interface from which you can download, activate, deactivate and uninstall plugins if you supply the correct FTP details. FTP and SSH say I don't have sufficient permissions and WordPress says something about a fatal error.Here's what happens when I try to erase ajax-calendar for an example.

CONSOLE
ftp> open miladinoski.comConnected to miladinoski.com.220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.220-Local time is now 20:36. Server port: 21.220-This is a private system - No anonymous login220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.Name (miladinoski.com:whiteeagle): *****331 User ***** OK. Password requiredPassword:230-User ***** has group access to: ***** 230 OK. Current restricted directory is /Remote system type is UNIX.Using binary mode to transfer files.ftp> cd public_html/wp-content/plugins/ajax-calendar250 OK. Current directory is /public_html/wp-content/plugins/ajax-calendarftp> ls -a200 PORT command successful150 Connecting to port 59862drwxr-xr-x 5 99 99 4096 Aug 28 2008 .drwxrwxrwx 71 ***** ***** 4096 Aug 11 13:34 ..-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 2677 Jul 16 2008 ajax-calendar.php-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 425 Jul 16 2008 ajax.php-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 590 Jul 16 2008 calendar.css-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 334 Nov 22 2008 error_logdrwxr-xr-x 2 99 99 4096 Aug 20 2008 js-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 35147 Jul 16 2008 license.txtdrwxr-xr-x 2 99 99 4096 Aug 28 2008 models-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 18872 Jul 16 2008 plugin.php-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 1531 Jul 16 2008 readme.txt-rw-r--r-- 1 99 99 5429 Jul 16 2008 screenshot-1.pngdrwxr-xr-x 3 99 99 4096 Aug 20 2008 view226-Options: -a -l 226 13 matches totalftp> rm ajax-calendar.php ajax.php calendar.php550 Can't remove directory: Permission denied
I got almost the same output if I tried with SSH and on many other plugins too...Please help me, what should I do, did I mess something up or is it the server?Thanks for your help! ;)

I installed several months ago via the plugins panel of WordPress itself.

And that's the problem. You have to uninstall them through the very same panel (or some other PHP script), as they now bear a different owner than you, and only that "owner" can delete the files. This is like having the user "root" create a file (or directory) in your ~/ directory. You won't be able to delete the file (or directory) since you don't have ownership of the file (or directory).

You need to delete them using Wordpress or have support do so. More or less CMS plugins you install through the system get locked in as being installed from the CMS.For example, Joomla will be "created" by a user named Joomla. The only way to then delete them is through Joomla (or your case Wordpress) or have admins do it from their end (file a ticket).

And that's the problem. You have to uninstall them through the very same panel (or some other PHP script), as they now bear a different owner than you, and only that "owner" can delete the files. This is like having the user "root" create a file (or directory) in your ~/ directory. You won't be able to delete the file (or directory) since you don't have ownership of the file (or directory).

But I told you in the post that I can't even do erase them from WP itself! WordPress quits with a fatal error when you try to delete them and you can't even upgrade them so they are a possible security threat... When you install plugins via WP you supply the FTP information and if I install a plugin now and try to erase it from FTP, I can! Maybe it has something to do with the versions numbers - I installed them when I was on WP 2.6 and now am on WP 2.8.3?

Will contacting Xisto - Support and ask them to specify which folders to remove so they do using their root account (I'm sure they'll be able, because hey - they have the root access - or am I wrong)?

Thanks to both of you for your help, that's just what I suspected and I turned out right. Now I just have to erase them somehow, if possible ;)

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

Hi!@miladinoskiIf you've used the FTP access to install the plugins, you should be able to log in via an FTP client, such as CuteFTP, CoreFTP or FileZilla! and delete the file, just as you would in Windows Explorer. Either that, or you could use akashi's suggestion and install the filemanager plugin.Regards

his problem guite probably caused by file ownership problems. probablu he created files using script or downloader plugin and file owner is different with his account. he can only delete those files using script. that's why i suggested him to use filemanager plugin (i do have this kind of problem on my wp hosted here)

Hi!
@miladinoski

If you've used the FTP access to install the plugins, you should be able to log in via an FTP client, such as CuteFTP, CoreFTP or FileZilla! and delete the file, just as you would in Windows Explorer. Either that, or you could use akashi's suggestion and install the filemanager plugin.

Regards

Install filemanager plugin for wordpress and delete it using that filemanager. It worked for me.

Thanks a lot man, I'll try that now and edit this post to tell you if it worked, I believe it will since you used it ;)

you should try it. I used it to delete files generated by my script which can't be deleted using ftp client. Post here if you have any problem :P

Thanks a lot man, I'll try that now and edit this post to tell you if it worked, I believe it will since you used it ;)