xisto Community
puneye

Laptop Battery Not Charging Why it is so ?

I have Packard Bell laptop running XP with 1 GB RAM, 1.4 GHz Processor, 50 GB HDD and DVD RW. I am facing problem with few days my battery is not charging. What are the causes behind it. Can anybody suggest me what to do with my laptop battery ?? Every suggestion will be great for me.I can see battery bar but it is 0% and Previously it has 20% from there it didn't rise up then decrease to 0 % .

How old is your laptop? The performance of batteries, especially if not cared for correctly, can degrade fairly quickly. You probably will have seen, before this happened, that the battery would only charge up to 90% then stop. Then it might only reach 80%, 70%, etc. until eventually it won't hold any charge. That process can take anything from a couple of months to a few years, but is obviously worse the older the battery is.If that is what has happened then your only choice is to buy a new battery. Depending on the age of your laptop, a new battery may well cost more than what the laptop is worth, so you might be better off buying a new laptop (although you probably won't be able to sell the old one if the battery doesn't work).

How old is your laptop? The performance of batteries, especially if not cared for correctly, can degrade fairly quickly. You probably will have seen, before this happened, that the battery would only charge up to 90% then stop. Then it might only reach 80%, 70%, etc. until eventually it won't hold any charge. That process can take anything from a couple of months to a few years, but is obviously worse the older the battery is.
If that is what has happened then your only choice is to buy a new battery. Depending on the age of your laptop, a new battery may well cost more than what the laptop is worth, so you might be better off buying a new laptop (although you probably won't be able to sell the old one if the battery doesn't work).

Thanks for your suggestion. I think so that laptop used by my brother he didn't able to good care of it. I am going to check my laptop battery on computer repair center then try to buy new one or something else.

I ran into the same issue with an old laptop of mine, only it shows "full" when it's not. You charge it to 100% and then within 3-4 mins it's back at 0% again.To help keep the issue from recurring in the future, the first 2-3 charges need to be fully drained. More or less do this with the new battery/laptop:1) Charge battery fully2) Drain it FULLY - just leave the laptop on until it dies, then keep pressing power until it's fully dead3) Charge again4) Drain again5) Repeat one last timeMore or less batteries have internal "memory" that keeps track of how much energy they are able to hold. You need to train the memory in the beginning or else it will be less effective.

try giving out to your service manager or if in warranty peroid then get it checked by some of the techinicans have u tried changing the charger
to check wether the port is damaged or ur charger

If it is showing the battery as being charged even a little then it isn't the charger.

An easier way to test whether or not the charger (and power supply) works is to remove the battery and plug the laptop into the wall to see if it turns on. If it does, both the charger and PSU are fine.

I ran into the same issue with an old laptop of mine, only it shows "full" when it's not. You charge it to 100% and then within 3-4 mins it's back at 0% again.

To help keep the issue from recurring in the future, the first 2-3 charges need to be fully drained. More or less do this with the new battery/laptop:

1) Charge battery fully

2) Drain it FULLY - just leave the laptop on until it dies, then keep pressing power until it's fully dead

3) Charge again

4) Drain again

5) Repeat one last time

More or less batteries have internal "memory" that keeps track of how much energy they are able to hold. You need to train the memory in the beginning or else it will be less effective.

My case is not that. It shows always 0%. I found my laptops is Easynote MV35-202, 2006 -2005 series.

you can check it out here details: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

My laptop runs smoothly without battery i.e. joining directly to electricity but nothing will happen when I put battery inside laptop. I tested few times without direct line it shows low battery but no shut down of laptop.

The main problem is battery doesn't rise from 0% . Any other ideas to charge battery ?

I have worse problem than yours. My PC doesn't recognize by batt anymore >_<.... Should i buy a new one..

If the PC doesn't recognize it, you run back into the issue of needing to figure out if your PSU is working. Only it's a little more involved.

The issues at this point are that it could be caused by one of three things:

1) Dead battery (obviously)

2) Dead PSU (plug it into the wall - if it turns on PSU is good)

3) Dead battery connectors in the laptop - maybe the battery isn't connecting properly

I've explained how to check the difference between the battery and PSU, but about checking the connectors I'm unsure...

My case is not that. It shows always 0%. I found my laptops is Easynote MV35-202, 2006 -2005 series.

you can check it out here details: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

My laptop runs smoothly without battery i.e. joining directly to electricity but nothing will happen when I put battery inside laptop. I tested few times without direct line it shows low battery but no shut down of laptop.

The main problem is battery doesn't rise from 0% . Any other ideas to charge battery ?

If it doesn't rise past 0% it is due to it being dead (as in unrevivable). There are only a certain amount of charges batteries can take before they go bad (~1000)

sometimes it could be cheaper to have your laptop battery repacked. check some local computer tech shops in your area to ask if they can repack your laptop battery and for how much. compare that to the price of a brand new battery for your laptop model.repacking involves simply replacing the rechargeable batteries in its casing. do some research on this online to see how it works, but if you're not familiar with it, don't try doing it yourself. ;)just giving you options...

sometimes it could be cheaper to have your laptop battery repacked. check some local computer tech shops in your area to ask if they can repack your laptop battery and for how much. compare that to the price of a brand new battery for your laptop model.
repacking involves simply replacing the rechargeable batteries in its casing. do some research on this online to see how it works, but if you're not familiar with it, don't try doing it yourself. ;)

just giving you options...

I left laptop for check up. I am waiting what they tell about it.

In my experience, well. My laptop I have had for 3-4 years, some random ACER model. I always use it with it connected to a power outlet from the wall or other. It went from 2.5hrs of battery life on full charge when we bought it. Now it is as low as 10-15 minutes on full charge. I haven't seen it not being able to charge, it still does, but the power is limited when disconnected from the outlet. My suggestion is to order a new battery for your laptop, and it should all work fine. Hope I helped ;)

I have Packard Bell laptop running XP with 1 GB RAM, 1.4 GHz Processor, 50 GB HDD and DVD RW. I am facing problem with few days my battery is not charging. What are the causes behind it. Can anybody suggest me what to do with my laptop battery ?? Every suggestion will be great for me.
I can see battery bar but it is 0% and Previously it has 20% from there it didn't rise up then decrease to 0 % .

The contact between the charging module of notebook and the contacting plates of battary may not be able to be touched well as usual. You may want to bring both your notebook and battary for a check.

My toshiba a105-s101 doesnLaptop Battery Not Charging

Hi, I bought a new 12 cell battery about a month ago and had a problem with it only charging 2% an hour if that, sent that one back and got an Agptek 14.8 V that is supposed to be a replacement for the original model. The computer doesn't even recognize that there is a battery installed. The computer is 2002 xp home with service pack 3, is there some other programming I can do to help the computer recognize the battery, or is the computer just to old to support a pac this large. Thanks for your time,

Cat Drees

-question by Cat Drees

is my problem the battery or my laptop?Laptop Battery Not Charging

I have an ACER Aspire 1660. My battery is at 0%. While plugged in(AC), my battery will not charge,the screen flashes bright to dim, and there is a beeping sound constantly. This is with the battery in or out. Is this just an old battery, or is it a problem in the laptop?

-question by DALE