xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tinoymalayil

Social Networking Websites Are Good Or Not?

Hi friends,Most of us are using social networking website to maintain our friendship,relationship etc.But some people use this opportunity to cheat somebody.Please tell about this issue.What is your idea about the social networking websites

Social networking could be addictive sometimes. or even opens many opportunities for job search, girl friend search :) etc. Some social network like Orkut are famous cause of communities, which are like forums. These forums are full of fun, knowledgeable and don't forget SPAM. Facebook on the other hand is excellent for status message update and communication from wall scrap-messages. Facebook is not that powerfull on point of communities, which are called as groups on facebook. It is addictive for some of it';s application and games. Mafia is very famous game on facebook apps. people spend lot of time and money on facebook for such games. Due to google open social platform many apps are available in multiple networks like hi5,orkut,facebook,ning etc. and most of these apps are addictive. So coming back to topic, social networks are addictive for those who spend lot of time on internet. They might reduce their productivity by spending lot of time on such networks. So at certain extent social networks are usefull but if they're taking lot of your time then it's time for you to come out of social network addiction. Spend more time offline gradually if you think you're giving more time to social network.

Due to google open social platform many apps are available in multiple networks like hi5,orkut,facebook,ning etc. and most of these apps are addictive. So coming back to topic, social networks are addictive for those who spend lot of time on internet. They might reduce their productivity by spending lot of time on such networks. So at certain extent social networks are usefull but if they're taking lot of your time then it's time for you to come out of social network addiction. Spend more time offline gradually if you think you're giving more time to social network.

There are ways to spend less time on social networks. You can use ping.fm with ping fire to post status updates to multiple social networks at the same time without logging into any of them. You can block all apps on facebook which you feel are a waste of time. You can get a lot of rss feeds from social networks and mash them together, so you can get information about what is going on in several networks without logging into any of them.

If you do things this way social networks become a great way to comunicate, stay in touch, and distribute information.

Social networking sites are good as well good. There are lots of good things due to social networking websites such as you can meet your old friend with help of them, able to make new friends using social networking websites even your soul mates. I don't spend much time in social networking websites. Just comment on my friends photos, profiles etc.There is negative part of social networking websites, it became addictive and kill your lots of important time but it depends upon you. Some people are cheated with social networking websites.But if we use social networking sites we must aware using it.

I'm not actually into social networking sites much. "Facebook" is the only one i use. Not as much conversation as i thought it would be, haven't linked up with the right people obviously. I did allow one jerk as a "friend" and quickly found spam advertisements mounting up in one of my email accounts from him, obviously i got rid of him. (He was actually sneaky, he'd send a little here and there trying to build my tolerance up i guess. Then i found seven bogus emails in one day, at that point i got feed up).

Well social networks can be fun or can be turned into boring activities. What I like about facebook which is massively the most used social network is the status update feature( like twitter) which leaves the opportunity to comment, debate, fight ..etc. This is the part I like mostly, say something and wait for your friends feedback. So you get updated on friends living away news, graduations, summer time..etc. But facebook has some poor anti-spam methods. I get lots of spam from applications, which I hate. I also hate some addictive dependence on quizzes. Or quizz mania, people use to publish lots of quizzes, and all me homepage gets filled on useless things. So I try to make as much "hides" as I can. I can say something else, which is important: You can't get out of your community. This means that I cannot use e.g Orkut because very little people in my country use it. I can't stay out of my community.

There are ways to spend less time on social networks. You can use ping.fm with ping fire to post status updates to multiple social networks at the same time without logging into any of them. You can block all apps on facebook which you feel are a waste of time. You can get a lot of rss feeds from social networks and mash them together, so you can get information about what is going on in several networks without logging into any of them.
If you do things this way social networks become a great way to comunicate, stay in touch, and distribute information.

I'm not sure if Ping.fm allows access to Orkut and other social networks covered in open social. I tried it for Twitter/identi.ca and blogger. and i must say it saved hell lot of time. Like if you want to publish blog entries, status message then it can be done just like we are doing batch updates.

But i'm not still sure if orkut/open social apps can be used on ping.fm.

As we're discussing social network here. I would like to know that other than orkut, how many social networks have community/group feature that is worth investing time ? i mean you can fetch lot of traffic if you advertise properly on them. Any pointers to such social networks ? Let me know if you know any social network like that.

As someone who doesn't use social networking sites anymore for personal use it's not that hard to live with out. I can still talk to friends and family just the same amount by other means.But as for business networking it might be more useful tool. Or if your a musician or artist it makes more sense to me.I have some co-workers who play farmtown on facebook and I have no idea what their talking about. Maybe it's for the best, it sounds lame.

I'm not sure if Ping.fm allows access to Orkut and other social networks covered in open social. I tried it for Twitter/identi.ca and blogger. and i must say it saved hell lot of time. Like if you want to publish blog entries, status message then it can be done just like we are doing batch updates.
But i'm not still sure if orkut/open social apps can be used on ping.fm.

I might be able to help you find a way around that. For instance if Orkut alows you to feed status updates in though twitter then you can have ping.fm forward it to twitter then into orkut. If Orkut allows you to have status updates come from rss feeds there are so many possibilities because so many social networking services give you the option to view rss feeds.

I have myself setup for the possibility of sending separate feeds to separate social network without necessary needing to log into any of them.

I do this by setting one of my ping.fm group configured just post to shoutem. I create catagories for my posts to shoutem. The catories are nammeds as follows #cattagoryname.

I can then use yahoo pipes, to filter these catagories as I want into seperate feeds, which I can then send to twitter (see: http://twitterfeed.com/) and many other social networkins services.

P.S. I like shoutem much better then twitter, but unfortunately it is not integrated in with as many social networking services. Also as a side note, there is a similar service to ping.fm, called hellowtxt. Hellotxt does not yet have the firefox plugin complete but I belive will be able to post to multiple Laconi.ca acounts before ping.fm does. Laconi.ca is an open microblog standard used by shoutem and many other microblogs.

@s243a

Yes i agree with you, orkut allows RSS feeds posted on personal scrapbook(it is like wall as in facebook). So scrapbook being personal is not at all suitable for feeds cause anyone will able to view your personal messages. So for scrapbooks this idea is dropped. But i found orkutfeed site where we can get feeds for community/group and that too based on topic. So this is good way to keep track of the community posts and replies to your own posts. so i'm going to try that out. Let's see how easy it goes.

I guess i've to check if identi.ca allows getting feeds from orkut or not. that will be one another fast option. as identi.ca rarely faces downtime in comparison to twitter. and review of indeti.ca is very good as well.

Now coming back to topic of social network, is it possible to send forum updates to twitter/identi.ca. especially is it possible to send forum updates to post as status message to identi.ca ? this way we can drive lot of traffic on forums in my opinion. not too much but atleast 20-30 will even worth it if the status of forum are posted to twitter/identica. I'm not sure how those services will handle forums once they're having large userbase. but atleast for new forums it can be a source of traffic. Any ideas how it can be done ?

Now coming back to topic of social network, is it possible to send forum updates to twitter/identi.ca. especially is it possible to send forum updates to post as status message to identi.ca ? this way we can drive lot of traffic on forums in my opinion. not too much but atleast 20-30 will even worth it if the status of forum are posted to twitter/identica. I'm not sure how those services will handle forums once they're having large userbase. but atleast for new forums it can be a source of traffic. Any ideas how it can be done ?

Lots of forums have rss feeds for such things as notices, new topics, new posts, you could even I presume create rss feeds for forum status updates/moods. If the form doesn't have feeds you can create feeds by parsing pages with yahoo pipes. I haven't used identity.ca but the following service pingvine

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

claims to be able to publish rss feeds to (Twitter or Ping.fm or Identi.ca accounts). I know twitterfeed can publish rss both to ping.fm and twitter (not sure if it can post to identity.ca). From ping.fm you can forward your status update to identity.ca. I'm not sure if identity.ca allows you to import feeds from twitter. Hellowtxt can also publish to indentity.ca since idenity.ca is a laconi micro blog. I'm not sure which service will support multiple laconi micro blogs first but if you need to publish to multiple laconi mircroblogs, I recomened trying out both pingfm and hellotxt before you create multiple accounts of either. There are so many possibilities and all you have to do is be able to visualize the path of information flow. Try to not create any loops in your information flow.

As for dealing with high trafic forums, yahoo pipes, lets you choose how many items, go to your feed. So you, could limit your feed to say, the posts which you rank as the top 50. You could establish some ranking system,based on: say google rank, how recent the post is, who posted it,...etc. Then sort the feed items by rank and take the top 50. Twitterfeed lets you control how frequently feeds are updated. Therefore, set twitter feed to post at some regular time interval and figure out how many posts you want in that time interval and use yahoo pipes to limit the number of feed items to that number.

I forgot to add, you can also get RSS feeds from some email services. I know both google, and yahoo support rss feeds. I believe googles service is better because it uses both password verification and feed encryption. I think yahoo only uses pasword verification. This is handing because sometimes the only way some forms give updates is though email. Gmail, lets you sort your email, into categories, and you can get a seperate feed for each catagory. This is very handy if you are on a lot of mailing lists.

@s243a

Thanks for the twitter-feed suggestion. I just hooked my entire forum updates to twitterfeed. Now the forum account on twitter gets updates every time someone posts forum posts or even creates new topic. Limiting it for particular time interval is also a good option, as it'll not create problems to service provider(twitter in this case).

I couldn't find anything alternative like twitterfeed for laconi.ca based software though. I need to find such service for identi.ca, i tried to go through ping.fm but no success. Need to find dedicated software like twitterfeed for identi.ca. So still looking for it.

Yahoo pipes idea sounds nice. and it's perfect to sort feeds and then publish it. i'll try it when my forum gets enough traffic that is beyond twitter updates reach.

Social networking site is touted as the tools for people to remain in contact with friends. I dont think that is the case. As you would have join at least one by now, you will realise how time-consuming it is. Instead of catching up with friends over the free time that we have, we spend it online playing with such websites. That will further "deplete" the free time that we have to meet friends. So tell me, is it a social or anti social networking site afterall?As for cheating, it goes everywhere, not only with such websites.

@s243a

I couldn't find anything alternative like twitterfeed for laconi.ca based software though. I need to find such service for identi.ca, i tried to go through ping.fm but no success. Need to find dedicated software like twitterfeed for identi.ca. So still looking for it.

That's weird because I have ping.fm, posting updates to shoutem for me and shoutem is also a laconi.ca based microblog. How did you set it up? Also if you really can't get it to work (note ping.fm has a support form) you could consider trying hellotxt.