xisto Community
mm22

Why Do Computers In Movies Always Beep?

Ok, not the most constructive topic to talk about... but I have been thinking about it for some time, and I am sure others have done the same!So every time I watch a movie, or better a TV series (CSI and the like), I can't help but focusing on the sounds/beeps those computers always make. I am referring to computers the characters use for investigating a crime, following the path of a tornado, locate a GPS signal and so on. Every single time a query is launched, a graph shown, etc. the action is accompanied by all sort of beeps and chimes. Now I have been using all sort of computers, but I haven't heard any beeping like that since the time of DOS-based videogames where sounds came out of the PC speaker...So I wonder, do they really use those computer in those places (police departments, etc) so that the office is full of noise from such beeping?? and moreover do they really use those fancy looking graphical interfaces, or instead do they build their graphs on pure simple Excel spreadsheets??anyone from LAPD out there...? :)

It make the computer more serious I guess, in movies there are lots of "funny" stuff which you can always ask or wonder, it's the same as why do actors talk to them self or before doing something most of the time they will say what they will do or what they are doing. :DWithout the beeping of the computer and etc. it will be silent and no effect for the people watching that movie. :)

It make the computer more serious I guess, in movies there are lots of "funny" stuff which you can always ask or wonder, it's the same as why do actors talk to them self or before doing something most of the time they will say what they will do or what they are doing. :)
Without the beeping of the computer and etc. it will be silent and no effect for the people watching that movie. :P

Yes I guess that is one of the reasons, fill up the gaps and let viewers know what is going on... that is certainly true for actors talking to themselves! same for the clicking sound of the keyboard, much easier to here compared to a click of a mouse, that's probably why they seem to use the keyboard for operations that are normally done using the mouse... also using the keyboard looks somehow more professional and gives the idea of a very advanced software application :D

Hi!@mm22I believe the beeping and visual appearance adds dramatic effect.Think about it this way - would you rather watch a hamlet play with the lead actor wearing a suit and a tie, or would you rather have him dress up in the medieval attire... whatever it was with 3/4th trousers, knee-length socks, berets with feathers, and shirts with fluffy shoulders.In real life, time and money matter a lot so people get along just fine with simple-looking applications. You wouldn't see a 3D rotating head in a database of criminals, for example... perhaps just a mugshot... front and side view. There are instances where organizations do spend heavily on the appearance of computer systems. For example, in pilot training, you would expect a flight simulator to look and feel like an actual aircraft and not a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator with a keyboard, mouse and joystick. Similarly, in military planning, the military tries to give its personnel as clear a picture as possible by creating 3D models to ensure that the margin for error is minimized. Unless the need for something of the sort is highly critical (or there's an entertainment value that can be monetized), you shouldn't expect to see it in the real world.Regards

I think it's about "exaggeration" in movies. I mean look at some of the top movies either they're exaggerated in terms of story, action sequence, computer graphics or acting. We as audience only watch television if it is either exaggerated or plain simple. Look at the matrix movie, some of the fight scenes are such popular that they're adopted in other movies as well. Slow motion action was redefined in matrix movie and from there it was flowing like nothing. Also take a look at some movies where computers are shown. keyboard hits sounds different than reality. Same is the case with operating systems and terminals used in movie. But one thing i've noticed very few mouse clicks are heard,isn't it ? also when someone types of terminal and or it gets printed as feedback from program then it sounds dramatic and this is where movies differ with reality :)