xisto Community
The Simpleton

My Fingers Know The Password, But I Don't!

I was stuck in this really sticky situation recently and thought to share my experience here to find out if anyone else has been in a similar situation...

I'm a fast typist. Okay, not so fast, but fast enough to type in my gmail username (12 letters) and password (14 letters) in under 30 seconds. I was using the same password for over two months and in all this time, without me realising it, I was slowly forgetting what my password was, but my fingers remembered it very well! As soon as I saw the 'username' field, they would automatically fill it, press <Tab> and finish the 'password' field as well. This habit was hard to get rid of!

Anyway, recently I had to login through a mobile since there was no computer nearby. I was doing this for the first time in my life, coz there was'nt a need earlier. I keyed in my username without any problem, but when it came to the password, I was left thinking for a while. I tried my best to remember it but couldn't! I tried various combinations but simply couldnt't get it and finally google blocked the login page saying that I had to either give the correct password and get through a captcha or login through a computer. I went on trying various combinations for around an hour and then finally gave up...

When I reached home I switched on the computert immediately and went to gmail, and logged in with the first attempt! :D I was relieved and immediately changed my password to something I could remember easily. So although I wasn't in any real trouble, I was tensed for a little while due to my finger memory!

So has anyone else faced such a situation anytime? Do share your experiences here :)

yes this happens to me all the time, and not just for one password. My hubby even worse off as he a slow normal typer but his pw is very fast and at one time he had to get in to some thing via the phone we had to draw a keyboard on a piece of paper so we could right it down for him to log in.

lol awesomei dont know my pass :) I just know where the keys are

what password? i haven't remember mine for a long time, but my fingers know it all right! its scary how the subconscious can remember things like that.....

Through a combination of having Firefox remember my most common passwords and being able to get my fingers to do the rest, I've got most of my passwords sorted. When it comes to a lot of things computer based I tend to find I don't really have to think about doing them, my hand just does what it needs to do. The wonders of the human brain, eh?

yup. i used to set my parents alarm code that way. i knew the pass originally, then i knew the keystrokes. i eventually ended up forgetting the passwor to the house alarm, but still remembered the keystrokes. was really strange. freaked me out one night when i got home and tried to remember the password and couldn't remember it. so without thinking too much more about it or have the alarm go off, i just typed it in again as usual from my memory of the keystrokes on the keypad.

also, please on't state how many characters are in your password in your g-mail account. if someone hasn't quoted it already, i would edit that part of your post or you might find yourself without a gmail account. you would be surpised what others can do now a days

I was stuck in this really sticky situation recently and thought to share my experience here to find out if anyone else has been in a similar situation...

Hi!

@kasperooney

Yeah, that's happened to me several times. I still have no idea what my ATM card number is but I always walk out with the cash and the card. Either my fingers do the thinking or I should be worried about where I keep my lunch money or it could be me holding up the sign "Will code HTML for food":
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's a lot like the time I can remember a face but can't remember the name.

@anwii

As is the case with passwords, I remember you 'cos of your avatar and not 'cos of your name. You're the SEO expert who wrote about how you got a forum post complaining about Dish TV (or something similarly named) onto the top of Google's search results!!!

Oh, and the password length is still up there in the thread! Let's get out the password hackers, type in the length to reduce the domain of possible values, and... (just kidding)

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

also, please on't state how many characters are in your password in your g-mail account. if someone hasn't quoted it already, i would edit that part of your post or you might find yourself without a gmail account. you would be surpised what others can do now a days

Well I've already changed my password and haven't revealed how many letters that one is, so I'm safe. Also, I didn't state my username and my gmail account isn't linked to trap 17. So yeah, I'm safer! :D

Oh, and the password length is still up there in the thread! Let's get out the password hackers, type in the length to reduce the domain of possible values, and... (just kidding)

If you succeed do inform me :)

I was glad to know that I wasn't the only one who faced this situation. It was really scary for a little while and I'm careful now never to let it happen again. Finger memory may be cool but in many cases it is really dangerous.

If you forget it like that, just open notepad and pretend you are typing your password, then your good.I type really fast, sometimes my password under 2 seconds.

I have had this happen, as I have been using about 5 different password for 3-4 years now. Whenever I type them, I always say the letters or the password in my head so that I don't forget it. Easy to forget, since I can type it in less than a second.