xisto Community
rvalkass

Tv Licensing

I was debating whether to put this here or in the rants section, but I decided here eventually. Anyway...

For those of you not in the UK, we have a company called TV Licensing over here. Anyone who has a TV in their home has to pay an annual license fee to watch it - this is currently Ł142.50 (US$234). If you don't pay it, and have a TV, radio, laptop or anything that can receive radio or TV in your home, then you can be fined Ł1000.

What annoys me is their assumption that everyone is a criminal - guilty until proven innocent. I recently moved home, and therefore had to transfer my TV licence to my new address, which I did. However, a week after the date I moved I received a letter from TV Licensing demanding I buy a TV licence or they would prosecute me. This outraged me for a few reasons:

They have assumed that I am a criminal by saying they will prosecute on a baseless claim.

I told them of my change of address, yet they don't appear to have paid any notice.

The only advice TV Licensing offer is on their numerous ways to pay, rather than trying to resolve the issue.

TV Licensing employ incredibly intimidating language in their letters, and assume that anyone not listed on their database as having a TV licence is instantly a criminal. There are two factors they have overlooked: firstly, people who don't have a TV; secondly, their own mistakes in updating their records. One of my friends does not have a TV, and therefore does not need a licence. However, he is regularly 'raided' by the TV Licensing people to check, as they assume he is breaking the law and have to prove his innocence. Clearly the most basic principles of the justice system in this country passed TV Licensing by.

Anyway, for their shoddy customer service, diabolical attitude and acting like the Gestapo, TV Licensing are probably the worst company I have ever had to deal with.

So there's no such thing as open channels in the United Kingdom? Or did i perceive this wrong? I don't see the point of having such a system unless there's no such thing as open channels.

The only advice TV Licensing offer is on their numerous ways to pay, rather than trying to resolve the issue.

:) I've ran into similar with other companies.

So there's no such thing as open channels in the United Kingdom? Or did i perceive this wrong? I don't see the point of having such a system unless there's no such thing as open channels.

TV channels in the UK are mainly commercial, supported by advertising revenue. However, the BBC (and S4C in Wales) receive their funding from the licence. The idea is that they can make programmes and services that aren't necessarily commercially viable, because they have a guaranteed income source (unlike commercial channels, which have to see advertising time). However, we have no "public access" channels (where the public can broadcast to their community).

:) I've ran into similar with other companies.

It baffles me that some executive clearly sat down and thought "Hmm, all these people who aren't paying their licence... Maybe it's because we haven't given them enough ways to pay!" And so they decided to ram the idea down everyone's throats that it is now supposedly so easy to pay. Except it isn't.

That is a lot of money to pay for the license. I hear that it was easier to check if someone had at t.v because of the magnetic properties of analog t'v andthis is no longer there with digital t.v.It must be a real headache proving you don't have or want a t.v now.At least the BBC does offer good programming, from what I remember.What's really interesting, as far as I understand is that they aren't owned by the government, yet still get preferential treatment.

One issue I have with TV licensing is that some university halls of residence, despite being one building, require a separate TV license for every person (i.e. every room). As far as I know, no other type of building has this sort of problem. With around 20-30 people per building they could charge a couple of pounds from each and everyone gets a TV license (in the university's name). True, it makes it such that it's compulsory, but it's no real expense and I'd hazard a guess that the residents would certainly appreciate it!

Likewise, we have TV licensing in Singapore. Thou most of the time, we will be enjoying the channels from the cable tv provider (whom we are paying a monthly fee), we are made to pay for a tv license. Not only that, if we have a radio in car, we have to pay a licensing fee. If we opt not to pay, then we are not suppose to have a player in the car. You can choose to listen only to CDs but still you cant do so without paying the fee. So in total, we are made to pay for 2 services that we rarely or don't use.

One issue I have with TV licensing is that some university halls of residence, despite being one building, require a separate TV license for every person (i.e. every room).

This is because TV Licensing, for some bizarre reason, class every room as a separate address. Hence we ended up receiving demands to two rooms that didn't exist on our floor, which we can only guess were the boiler cupboard and cupboard with the electric meter in! To the surprise of TV Licensing, neither of these inanimate objects had paid their TV licence, or replied to the letters...

haha it really is mad. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind the BBC simply showing adverts instead of us having to pay them instead. ^^ I like a break sometimes. IF i need a drink or to go to the toilet. And i'm watching a film on BBC, I have to wait until the very end >> Or just go and miss important bits of information. Other than the odd film, Top Gear, Torchwood and Dr Who. I rarely watch BBC stuff.

haha it really is mad. Honestly though, I wouldn't mind the BBC simply showing adverts instead of us having to pay them instead. ^^ I like a break sometimes. IF i need a drink or to go to the toilet. And i'm watching a film on BBC, I have to wait until the very end >> Or just go and miss important bits of information. Other than the odd film, Top Gear, Torchwood and Dr Who. I rarely watch BBC stuff.

That's what BBC iPlayer's for. ;-)

I have just moved and recently received a TV license bill through the door. Due to studying and work I don't have time to watch TV, so at this time in my life I don't have a TV. I have heard how horrible they can be when you write back and tell them that you don't own a TV - so as of yet I have not completed the form and sent it back.I was thinking of looking into getting the programs I want to watch of the internet as I am not into the Soaps. Need to look into this more - when I have time. :)