xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ashutosh_malguri

Help! Problem In Uploading Theme

i recently registered to web hosting gofreeserve.com ..I heard that they got good uptime and features.Now the problem is when i installed wordprress using fantisco installer ( in the root directory ) . the prob there is that i am not able to upload a new theme I've tried almost everything , i uploaded files(zip) manually from the file manager in the theme folder it show that the theme folder but no theme shows up in the wordpress user interface...I've also tried to upload the theme using wordpress interface "ad new themes" in which it asks the ftp info i gave it and when i tried to upload it i got an error saying that could not locate wp_content directory ..though its on the server...m looking for help ! any 1 used gofreeserve ?

I can't say for sure, but if you did not use WordPress's installation script, your WordPress installation might not be configured correctly.  WordPress keeps some URLs stored in its database, and if one of those is wrong, that would explain why it can't see your themes.

I'm going to assume you have cPanel.  First, use FTP or the cPanel file manager to make sure the theme is in the right place.  It should look like this:

root / WordPress directory	  +- wp-content	     +- themes 	         +- your theme folder
If that is correct, open PHPMyAdmin and bring up the WordPress database.  Open the wp_options table and look for the following options.  If any are incorrect, edit them accordingly.

siteurl = http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (if WordPress was installed to a sub-directory, this should be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ )
home = http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (probably the same thing as siteurl)
upload_path = the full server path to your wp-content/uploads directory (Themes should still work even if this is wrong)

If siteurl is wrong, you'll probably have more problems than just themes not working, but it's worth checking just to be sure.  You may also want to check WordPress's system requirements and match them against your host's specs.  Just because WordPress appears in fantastico doesn't necessarily mean gofreeserve can run it. 

Edit: Wait. Take a look at the post times. How did I post this over an hour before your post?
Edited by Idolon (see edit history)

@Idolon, It looks like you posted a day after the original post was made from the thread starter.

@ashutosh_malguri,
Did you try to activate the theme through the Wordpress control panel after uploading it yourself?

The problem with trying to upload themes and plugins through the control panel is well documented throughout the internet (Google search: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wordpresient=firefox-a), with the easiest solution is to FTP your themes and plugins into their appropriate folders and setting the CHMOD permissions correctly.

Gofreeserve.com does not offer Fantastico for free users. They offers a program called "iVista" which they claims to be like Fantastico. Eventhough the installation was easy, I doubt it is perfect. I would suggest you to do a manual installation of WordPress using FTP and configure your MySQL databases manually. This takes some time but could solve the issue...When I tried to install a theme to gofreeserve.com, I got the same error "Unable to locate WordPress Content directory (wp-content)."

greenpeace, that happens with one of the installation method of dreamhost as well. In that method of installation only post creation is allowed you can't change theme and do other task. I don't know it was error or something. I'll check it out as both these problems are on same line. i think directory is not writable,maybe just a guess. But that could be one issue.

greenpeace, that happens with one of the installation method of dreamhost as well. In that method of installation only post creation is allowed you can't change theme and do other task. I don't know it was error or something. I'll check it out as both these problems are on same line. i think directory is not writable,maybe just a guess. But that could be one issue.

Mahesh, if you got a solution, please post it here.
By default, WordPress is installed with write permissions for wp-content directory as I tested this with two other servers earlier. I have noticed three instances of theme and plug-in installations.

1. Everything works fine, when we click on install new theme or plugin, it gets downloaded automatically and we just have to activate it by a click.

2. When we try to install a theme or plug-in, WordPress will ask for FTP information. If we supply correct FTP credentials, everything will work fine as in case 1.

3. WordPress will ask for FTP information but even giving the correct FTP details will not download or install the theme/plug-in. This is slightly documented at WordPress support site as an issue related to ownership of the folder. Hosting companies says that it is a bug with WordPress but I think it happens with free hosting reseller firms like gofreeserve.com.

Hope we do not face such issues here at Xisto as we seems to have our own web servers.

wrong installation of themesHelp! Problem In Uploading Theme

I think the themes that ive install is not compatible to my pc-spex..Pls help me this problem

just send it to my email add..Tnx

-question by regie layar