xisto Community
sonesay

Adam And Eve I dont get it

Here is a touchy topic I have refrain my self from asking for a long time but it never made sense to me. The reason why is bring up something like this would probably give you sick looks from peoples faces. Anyway here goes, Adam and Eve was the first humans on earth as the bible tells us. They went on to have kids of their own and that's normal. Now here's where it doesn't make sense, we've heard stories where inbreeding has caused mutations and its not something highly promoted but it does happen. How did Adam's and Eve's children go on to make more children? Did God create more humans with different gene pools or did they just go ahead and mated with each other? Sick thoughts right? I know that's why I did not want to ask but it has to be asked. Can I please get some thoughts about this from believers. I'd like to know what the reason's or explanations are of this kind of activity and how we did end up all looking differently and even different colors today. Please take this seriously as I do not like to joke about any kind of religious and moral issues.

Dear Sonesay,In response to your post on Adam & Eve. I will do my best to explain to you on this subject.First, are you a believer, meaning a Born Again Christian? I have been a Born Again Christian now for 32 years.God created the earth and everything in it. The heavens, the waters, day & night, animals, trees, etc. (This is all found in Genesis) Now God creates man and put him in the garden (chapter 2) God sees that there is no help mate for Adam, so he creates woman (Eve) for him, Created from Adams rib.Now this is where it all starts with other creation. Adam & Eve live in a perfect place of no sin. God tells them what they can eat from the garden which is everything except the tree of knowledge which opens up knowledge of good & evil. I'm sure you know the rest pretty much. The serpant temps Eve and she disobeys & eats and temps adam to do the same and he eats also. (the first temptation)Now, Eve conceives and gives bith to Cain and then again she gives bith to Abel. Cain becomes jealous of abel because he gives a better offering to his father. He gave the best and Cain gave like the scraps. Cain kills Abel (the first murder) sin has entered the earth. Now, if you read the book of Genesis you will notice from this point on it says that Cain has to leave and move on. adam curses him for what he has done and says he will be a vagabond. It says Cain knew his wife and she conceived and bore Enoch and all the births from then on that are mentioned are all male. Of coarse their were females but back at creation God created man. woman came later. The focus was man. women were for helpmates to the man and to bear children (Today women are more than that) we now live in the New Testament of "Grace". So this means that the females that were born were the wives of all the men. In actuality, they were related because they all came from Eve. I hope that makes sense. :P Mutants were not from the beginning. It happened later in leviticus & Deuteronomy when sin became worse. Sin is what brought on disease and mutations and such.We now live in New Testament times so the marrying of brothers and sisters and such are "Incest". It can be confusing but if you read the Bible and ask God to give you understanding, He will. Now, the question of where did people start looking different and having different color is found in Genesis also. (chapter 11) "The Tower of Babel". It says that the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech up to this point. They (the people) began to say to one another to go and make brick and build themselves a city and a tower whose top would reach heaven: and then they say "and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad the face of the earth". God was not a thought to these people. They became BIG headed (to say the least) and wanted to make a name for themselves like they were God. God created them, not the other way around. The bible says in the New Testament that if two or three agree on anything it shall be done unto them as they say (Matthew 18:19) so back in Genesis 11 God says: "the people is one and they have one language, and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. God in verse7 of chapter 11 says "Let us go down (he says 'us') who is he talking to? (Jesus) because God and Jesus are one (that's another topic) :) . He says "Let us go down, and confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. Verse 8 the Lord scattered them abroad from the face of the earth: and they left to build the city. Therefore many cities were made from there and everyone had their own language. The Lord called the city "Babel" because the Lord confounded their language of all the earth and from then on the Lord scattered them abroad on the face of the earth. This was because they became Big headed and wanted to be greater than God and build a tower to heaven where no sin can be.I hope this answere your question, if not just ask whatever you are still confused and I will do my best to explain with God's help of coarse. :D In Christ's Love, D. Benitez

thanks for the sermon. you just reminded me why i don't go to church. what you stated was one interpretation of the bible. i've herd several. so no....that doesn't help answer his question unless he just wants to believe your interpretation rather than seek the answers himself(i really doubt he's that curious anyway)

personally, i discredit anyone who preaches solely from the new testiment to try and answer questions about god. no offense. my best friend is born again and we don't agree on anything.

now....back directly to the topic....i warn everyone now to be cautious who you make fun of....you are probably related to them :)

In response to your post on Adam & Eve.In Christ's Love,

D. Benitez

Hey bro its one of those things like the dinosour bones, the church does not really want to talk abou them :)

thanks for the sermon. you just reminded me why i don't go to church. what you stated was one interpretation of the bible. i've herd several. so no....that doesn't help answer his question unless he just wants to believe your interpretation rather than seek the answers himself(i really doubt he's that curious anyway)
personally, i discredit anyone who preaches solely from the new testiment to try and answer questions about god. no offense. my best friend is born again and we don't agree on anything.

now....back directly to the topic....i warn everyone now to be cautious who you make fun of....you are probably related to them :)

Really the question was asked by Sonesay and if he was not really intersted I dont think he would have asked the question. Not all questions are answered with just a few lines so I answered in hopes I could make it understandable. Yes, that was my interpretation, someone else might have another and then Sonesay can think on them and decide for himself. The most important thing is that he read the Bible himself as I said so God could give him understanding.
I did not give all New Testament Scriptures. I gave only one and the others were old Testament which is where Adam & Eve are talked about.
I am happy you read my response because now the seed in you has been watered. See, you have a best friend who is Born again, so he probabyly planted a seed in you and now I watered that seed and someone else will water it again somewhere down the road and the more watered your seed gets you will grow and the Lord will touch your heart one day and you will be Born again too. You cant get away because the process has started and I am sure your friend prays for you if he is Born Again, and now I am praying for you also. I truly will. Let me know when that day comes. I pray soon.

Also, the last statement you made about warning everyone to be cautious who you make fun of... you're probably related to them. What has that got to do with me or was that for someone else. I made no fun of anyone, but you did me. that's ok though. I will be related to you one day... Spiriitually

In His Love

Here is a touchy topic I have refrain my self from asking for a long time but it never made sense to me. The reason why is bring up something like this would probably give you sick looks from peoples faces. Anyway here goes, Adam and Eve was the first humans on earth as the bible tells us. They went on to have kids of their own and that's normal. Now here's where it doesn't make sense, we've heard stories where inbreeding has caused mutations and its not something highly promoted but it does happen. How did Adam's and Eve's children go on to make more children? Did God create more humans with different gene pools or did they just go ahead and mated with each other? Sick thoughts right? I know that's why I did not want to ask but it has to be asked.

Can I please get some thoughts about this from believers. I'd like to know what the reason's or explanations are of this kind of activity and how we did end up all looking differently and even different colors today. Please take this seriously as I do not like to joke about any kind of religious and moral issues.

This has been touched on in other topics but never truly addressed. Then again, as you noticed, there is no explicit explanation in the Bible on why undesirable birth effects did not occur or weren't mentioned at all, therefore making it practically impossible to provide an absolute answer. However, theories can still be provided concerning this event. The theories will of course take from both our experiences in this world and what is obvious concerning about this Biblical event. There are many ways to explain this, though, and i might mention certain unofficial theories without getting into them completely.

For starters, if Adam and Eve were the first humans, it is obvious that incest would have had to occur between their children. From our observations today, it can be seen that the majority of people are born healthy enough, that is, without any noticeable birth defects. From these two we can conclude that at least Adam and Eve's children's children (yeah, you can't assume that Adam and Eve's children bore birth defects due to inbreeding) did not bare any noticeable birth defects (at least from what is generally understood as a "birth defect"). Adam and Eve lived to be over 800 years old, so we can expect them to have a lot of children; i'd say at least 25; 50 or more if they took God's command about multiplying (Genesis 1:28) seriously. What would follow, of course, would be their children having children.

The theories will basically start from here. We'll start with the fact that there are different colors of skin today. We can use Michael Jackson as an example on how it could have come about; that is, loss and gain of pigment over time. The sun could have had a lot to do with this. Another possibility could be that either Adam or Eve was created with really dark skin (why should we assume that both were of one specific skin color?). I can't think of any other reasons for differing skin color, so we'll move onto the next "dilemma"—birth defects caused by incest.

For one, the error is often on the reader's side that inbreeding necessitates birth defects. While inbreeding does increase the chances of birth defects, birth defects do not always occur. Therefore, while some of Adam and Eve's children's children may have had birth defects, as the family tree grows and grows, and due to the now vast array of children, the possibility of birth defects are reduced (greatly). In fact, many states allow you to marry your first cousin.Link

Any other reasons why the reader would have trouble accepting this part of Scripture would be due to any feelings or (")morals(") the reader has. In which case it would not be the Scriptures' fault. Therefore, i think i have addressed everything that was brought up. If you have any other questions concerning this, reply to this post.

i didn't make fun of you. i said thanks for the sermen. it was very subjective and reminded me why i don't go to church. i can't help it if your sensitive and take words other than yours the wrong way. as far as a seed, i think my parents planted a seed in me that will last my lifetime. not one of my best friends and definately not you....someone i don't even know. again, you speak from your own ignorance if you for one second believe you planted any kind of seed in me.

you should try becoming more objective when you speak. you'll go a little further in life reaching more people instead of just those who need any excuse to believe in anyone but their own selves.

at the end, yea, i made it light hearted with a little joke. so what. get a sense of humor and come back when you're worthy of laughing at a joke

as far as taking things straight out of the bible, ofcourse it would make sense that incest occured and god intended it to be so. but my question goes further than just that. if in fact incest occured and given the fact that inbreeding creates a certain given percentage of birth defects, there is still something left in the air about who we are and how we grew as a human race. i mean, maybe we are the outcome of the birth defects. and cross breeding throughout the millenniums. if the bible holds all the answers for someone to believe in, where would this answer be? if it isn't stated, can it be assumed as a possibility?

i have herd over and over again, god's purpose being preached over and over again in simple words....but would god's purpose really be so simple? so simple that everyone is supposed to understand or capable of understanding?

i know this is a bit off topic but certainly related to the beginning of time according to the bible. did god make everyone equal? no, if adam and eve did live to be over 500 years old. ofcourse he didn't. so how old did the next generation live to be if certain traits can be inherrited? and then why do we only live to a ripe old age of less than 80(just a rough average). maybe we are the spwans of the cross breeding defects that have to be undisputed according to medical facts today. although...should we even take the facts of today to decribe the past? i mean, there is a lot written in the bible that is unheard of today. things occured that only happen in fairy tales today so why would people want to even take facts from today to prove the past if this is true? and if we can't assume things, then obviously, the past is the past and the future is different from the past and the world is ever changing since the past has yet to repeat itself. i dunno. i am rambling....but maybe there shouldn't be logic involved here either....that would be an assuption as well to explain the past.

Really the question was asked by Sonesay and if he was not really intersted I dont think he would have asked the question. Not all questions are answered with just a few lines so I answered in hopes I could make it understandable. Yes, that was my interpretation, someone else might have another and then Sonesay can think on them and decide for himself. The most important thing is that he read the Bible himself as I said so God could give him understanding.I did not give all New Testament Scriptures. I gave only one and the others were old Testament which is where Adam & Eve are talked about.
I am happy you read my response because now the seed in you has been watered. See, you have a best friend who is Born again, so he probabyly planted a seed in you and now I watered that seed and someone else will water it again somewhere down the road and the more watered your seed gets you will grow and the Lord will touch your heart one day and you will be Born again too. You cant get away because the process has started and I am sure your friend prays for you if he is Born Again, and now I am praying for you also. I truly will. Let me know when that day comes. I pray soon.

Also, the last statement you made about warning everyone to be cautious who you make fun of... you're probably related to them. What has that got to do with me or was that for someone else. I made no fun of anyone, but you did me. that's ok though. I will be related to you one day... Spiriitually

In His Love

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Okay, the reason that inbreeding causes issues is that when two related people procreate, their DNA is extremely similar, and it is more likely that dangerous recessive genes will match and create problems for the baby. When people with vastly different genes procreate, dangerous recessive genes are less likely to surface.So, you can conclude that Adam and Eve's family were okay for a couple of reasons. God, being all-(insert a good descriptive word here), would have foreseen all of the problems possible and would make Adam and Eve with basically opposite genes. She had brown eyes, he had blue. He was tall, she was short. One was AA, the other aa. Or something like that. I'm not a geneticist. Another reason is that God made humans perfectly. Then we had to go and screw things up. We all know what radiation, cancer, etc. can do to our DNA. Over the years, more genetic diseases could easily have been created by our stupidity. All kinds of things could have happened.

Dear AnwiiiFirst of all, let's clear the air. I was not trying to be offensive in any way and I am sorry if I came off that way to you. I think you just misunderstood. I'm not sensitive. I was actually having fun with you also. I have a great sense of humor and I didn't realize you would misinterpret what I was saying.I was not talking about the seed of your parents that created you (but that seed was created by God through your parents). I was talking about Spiritual seed of planting a seed from God's word into you, which I'm sure your friend who is a Christian also does with you when he shares with you even if you disagree. ask your friend about spiritual seed.Also, I believe in myself and I believe it is good to believe in ourselves, but God is the ultimate belief we should have. He is perfect, we are not,and we need to trust him in our lives and look to him for the answers we cant figure out ourselves. There are things we will never totally understand until we see him one day. Believe me, I don't know it all, but I do my best to learn by reading his word and asking God to help me understand what I am able. I don't worry about what I don't understand, and God don't expect me to understand everything. I just pray he helps me live a life that's pleasing to him and that I can be a blessing to someone along the way.Concerning the rest of your message about people living longer in adam's time, well yes they did because sin was not as rampid then as it is now and the food they ate was natural, not like today with all the preservatives and stuff they add to the food. People die much younger today because of the changes in the food. Adam actually lived to 930 years of age. You will find that in Genesis 5:5. We live in different times which is the progression of sin, but God is the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever. Hebrews 13:8Well, I hope you understand what I am saying, and again I apologize if I didn't explain myself clear enough. I hope we can share more. I enjoy talking to people and it is not about me having to be right about everything but I know with God's help, I can make a difference in someones life. In His Love,D. Benitez :)

that would be the only thing that makes sense to me since adam and eve were not related and created individually....that is if there was in fact an adam and eve. also, that would only explain the first generation offspring. what about the second generation and up?

Okay, the reason that inbreeding causes issues is that when two related people procreate, their DNA is extremely similar, and it is more likely that dangerous recessive genes will match and create problems for the baby. When people with vastly different genes procreate, dangerous recessive genes are less likely to surface.
So, you can conclude that Adam and Eve's family were okay for a couple of reasons. God, being all-(insert a good descriptive word here), would have foreseen all of the problems possible and would make Adam and Eve with basically opposite genes. She had brown eyes, he had blue. He was tall, she was short. One was AA, the other aa. Or something like that. I'm not a geneticist. Another reason is that God made humans perfectly. Then we had to go and screw things up. We all know what radiation, cancer, etc. can do to our DNA. Over the years, more genetic diseases could easily have been created by our stupidity. All kinds of things could have happened.

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Adam and Eve were pretty stupid then for being near perfect humans. God is in their face telling them how to live and they go listen to a snake? I don't understand how that could be possible seeing as they were smart/intelligent. I do not think a god would create a man to be stupid especially if it was the first, wait he may be stupid because hes got no previous experiences and memory of any kind so everything is new to him. What ever the reason I still don't buy the story because it doesn't make sense. A lot of things are left up to interpretation and that's just not enough for me. I'm sure the bible no where states that he had blue eyes and she had brown eyes, Where did you get that? I'm sure you made it up just to justify your belief. I'm sorry but if God wanted things the way they are then there's no way we can do anything about it. Everything else is just something people conjure up just to make sense of reality. Oh yeah by the way I like people thinking for me, Just because I don't respond in a while to my own topic I created does not mean I am not interested in the discussion. Maybe step down from your high ground once in a while.

Adam and Eve were pretty stupid then for being near perfect humans. God is in their face telling them how to live and they go listen to a snake? I don't understand how that could be possible seeing as they were smart/intelligent. I do not think a god would create a man to be stupid especially if it was the first, wait he may be stupid because hes got no previous experiences and memory of any kind so everything is new to him. What ever the reason I still don't buy the story because it doesn't make sense. A lot of things are left up to interpretation and that's just not enough for me. I'm sure the bible no where states that he had blue eyes and she had brown eyes, Where did you get that? I'm sure you made it up just to justify your belief. I'm sorry but if God wanted things the way they are then there's no way we can do anything about it. Everything else is just something people conjure up just to make sense of reality.

Being a very good (or "near perfect," as you say) creation allows for stupidity. Even the smartest person alive today can appear stupid by the definition implied therein (and even without the definition implied therein). That is, the definition of "stupidity" here, given the context, is failure to listen to God. By that definition, everyone is practically stupid. Just like with Adam and Eve, people always act in the present, often times not thinking about the future, since they are being occupied by the present. While we may not be perfect (in more ways than one), we still have the power to overcome temptation. But people more often than not fall to temptation.
You say the story still doesn't make sense to you. Since you didn't deny or speak against everything mentioned in response to this topic, logically we are somewhat forced to assume that perhaps you have accepted what you didn't speak against (until you say otherwise). Therefore, from this assumption, we can conclude that there is more to the story than what you bring up in your starting post that doesn't make sense to you. Given the topic, anything related to Adam and Eve is considered relevant to the discussion. However, you did bring up something concerning reality and truth concerning reality.

If it is the case that if God wanted things to be a certain way that there would be no way around it (which implies reference to His omnipotence, which also implies whether or not we have free will), then it would follow that if there is a way around a matter, that it is not something that God wanted to be absolute. Wherever there is a choice in the matter, God allows for free will. Saying, "What if God wanted it to be like this?" is an attempt to avoid a(n undesirable) discussion or (undesirable) situation. In its own way, wouldn't that be someone trying to make sense out of reality, hence, by your understanding, mere conjecture?

But this leads us to another matter: How do you define truth? Do you admit that there is such a thing as truth? Or is even experience and what is observable (wholly) false? Nevertheless, doesn't truth require logic? That is, doesn't truth have to make sense? Isn't that the reason why you don't believe in whatever it is you don't believe? But we don't know what "doesn't make sense." So, perhaps it is not that you seek truth, but, rather, the truth of a matter is not important to you. But all of this somewhat goes to waste if left like this.

Here is a touchy topic I have refrain my self from asking for a long time but it never made sense to me. The reason why is bring up something like this would probably give you sick looks from peoples faces. Anyway here goes, Adam and Eve was the first humans on earth as the bible tells us. They went on to have kids of their own and that's normal. Now here's where it doesn't make sense, we've heard stories where inbreeding has caused mutations and its not something highly promoted but it does happen. How did Adam's and Eve's children go on to make more children? Did God create more humans with different gene pools or did they just go ahead and mated with each other? Sick thoughts right? I know that's why I did not want to ask but it has to be asked.
Can I please get some thoughts about this from believers. I'd like to know what the reason's or explanations are of this kind of activity and how we did end up all looking differently and even different colors today. Please take this seriously as I do not like to joke about any kind of religious and moral issues.

There are a couple different things I can say about this...

The first of which is that mutations can happen regardless as to if you are related or not. I am fairly confident that this whole "inbred" thing is false and people feel the way they do about it because of "societal norms." In fact, there are many places where inbreeding is perfectly normal/natural. And you won't see them all running around with all sorts of issues. But because some guy a long time ago said "Hmm.. Let's say inbreeding is bad" everyone believes it is. It's a lack of being able to think for yourself.

As for their children, my understanding is the Bible left out a lot of details there. I had the same exact thought : "Wait, they had kids... And their kids had more kids, so therefore they are all related as brother and sister(s)?" I've actually asked a few hardcore Christians (as well as religious fanatics) about that but the only real answer I get is that there's not enough information there to clarify.

Because then you also have to wonder where skin colors came from. Even if Adam was white and Eve was black or whatever, it wouldn't account for Indians (red), Spanish (brown), etc. So it can be assumed God created other people as well (which would also explain how up until what, 500 years ago, everyone was spread out across the world but were each segregated.)

Those are my feelings, and what is and isn't true only one person knows (and a hint: it's not me).

OK... so, are you implying that woman is inferior to man?, with the first temptation and all that. :-/Also, it has been said that God is everything and infinite.He knows everything in the past, present and future.So he KNOWS that creating Adam will eventually lead to the creation of Eve.And he KNOWS that Eve will get tempted by the serpent.And the serpent will succeed, and Eve will in turn tempt Adam.And Adam will get tempted and the Knowledge of Good and Evil will begin.So technically he WANTED this to happen. The why the punishment?Why the discrimination of females?And also, why did he create the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the first place?If he knew everything and anything in the universe of all of past, present and future,should he know that this will happen?And for the females bit... they can't choose whether they want to be male or female when they are born. So it is just a matter of luck in whether you are part of the First Sin ever made or not...... I don't get Christianity(No offense to any believers or anything...)

i'm not offended. by no means. i just don't like people coming in to these forums to preach. yes, you preach about being born again. it's obvious you are. i am not offended by this nor do i dislike you. i just don't like the preaching. this isn't church. sometimes even christians need to know right from wrong and respect certain aspects of situations they walk in to. i think you have little regard so i can clearly state right now that i don't respect it. i do respect your beliefs. heck. what do i know. i don't have any factual data to support any arguement against what you say even if i do have my own opinion and beliefs. no nee to appologize to me. i am as blunt as they come. i know it and i know i offend people by it. but if one can't be blunt and honest, then we might as well cower behind some bushes so nothing gets noticed about us. anyway, i don't look at appologies. i look at actions. actions tell the story....more than words.....i do believe however that you will make a difference in peoples lives. i hope you are responsible on your journey when you have the power to influence another human being.

Dear Anwiii
First of all, let's clear the air. I was not trying to be offensive in any way and I am sorry if I came off that way to you. I think you just misunderstood. I'm not sensitive. I was actually having fun with you also. I have a great sense of humor and I didn't realize you would misinterpret what I was saying.
I was not talking about the seed of your parents that created you (but that seed was created by God through your parents). I was talking about Spiritual seed of planting a seed from God's word into you, which I'm sure your friend who is a Christian also does with you when he shares with you even if you disagree. ask your friend about spiritual seed.
Also, I believe in myself and I believe it is good to believe in ourselves, but God is the ultimate belief we should have. He is perfect, we are not,and we need to trust him in our lives and look to him for the answers we cant figure out ourselves. There are things we will never totally understand until we see him one day. Believe me, I don't know it all, but I do my best to learn by reading his word and asking God to help me understand what I am able. I don't worry about what I don't understand, and God don't expect me to understand everything. I just pray he helps me live a life that's pleasing to him and that I can be a blessing to someone along the way.
Concerning the rest of your message about people living longer in adam's time, well yes they did because sin was not as rampid then as it is now and the food they ate was natural, not like today with all the preservatives and stuff they add to the food. People die much younger today because of the changes in the food. Adam actually lived to 930 years of age. You will find that in Genesis 5:5. We live in different times which is the progression of sin, but God is the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever. Hebrews 13:8

Well, I hope you understand what I am saying, and again I apologize if I didn't explain myself clear enough. I hope we can share more. I enjoy talking to people and it is not about me having to be right about everything but I know with God's help, I can make a difference in someones life.

In His Love,

D. Benitez :)