xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Google Chrome - The Operating System Yes, Chrome O.S. - coming very soon

A new development in the OS market players: Google is coming up with its own brand of operating system which will challenge microsoft's windows.
By the second half of 2010 (next year, wheee! :excl:), Google Chrome OS will roll out of the google factory for us to enjoy. :( hopefully we won't have too much problems with it from the onset. and how i wish it could be easy to run the existing apps designed with windows OS in mind, even with just an emulator when google chrome OS debuts. :angel:
hooray, google! :excl: what's on your wishlist for the google chrome OS?

Apparently it will be based around a linux kernel so i expect almost all linux Apps will run on it, and i expect google will have a WINE like system for windows, after all windows is the one to beat so they need to lure windows users in somehow.I think it will be worth trying as a dual boot system but as google wants to pursue cloud computing and this is aimed mainly at netbooks i think it will be very lacking, just like their browser which was frankly disappointing and im a google supporter not an anti!!Id like to see something light and yet feature rich, security orientated and user friendly yet with a powerful backend to allow techies to fiddle and customize it to the max, like linux with the ability to use its "dumbed down" windowed GUI as well as use the terminal to really hack your way through the system to do what *you* want with it, not just what the designers intended.Am i hopeful? No, sadly not. I fear it will be weak, bland and fairly useless to all but those who spend 99% of the time using a web browser and nothing more. Ideal for cloud computing which is where Google want to abduct us to, but not so useful for the way computers are used in the real world.

Actually that is what Google is going to do with its operating system and make it a cloud based operating then anything else as the its focusing on web applications then being able to run programs off the operating system. That is why they are starting out with netbooks first because of the fact that netbooks are as minimal as your going to get with PC and mobile devices. Of course, I wouldn't doubt that they will make another version just for everyone else once they get the numbers on how well Google Chrome OS is on the market next year.

Aye, and personally i think cloud computing is the wrong direction to go... Perhaps online storage, using internet folders in the same way we map network drives today on LANs but not cloud computing... There is no need for it for most users, the only ones that would benefit are those that travel a lot and cant take a laptop with them. Otherwise it makes more sense to have the control over your own software etc....Google are headed in the right direction in making it light and secure, but in essence they are developing a web browser with an integrated OS backend which essentially controls access to the internet and supports very little software except the browser. But if they made a fully featured OS i would be sure to use it at least once. With the financial backing that google has from its other products they could easily topple microsoft and this could be the first step. And i suspect if they did topple MS the google software would be free, at least for a home environment and a lot better. But that remains to be seen. After google Chrome i need to be persuaded to have faith in their OS. Though google sketchup is good i must admit...The other concern is privacy, thats top of my agenda so we shall see.

Sounds interesting, but I am happy with windows, linux is just too much effort for me, I am confortable with windows and I have no real need for much else, although this whole cloud computing thing is interesting, but I am not convinced for the time being, untill more technology has been created.

Like Saint_Michael said, it is similar with Good OS, so we need internet connection to do our task. It is different with OS we're using. It would be useless for people with slow net connection. I wish google makes Googlix (Google + unix :( ) rather than a cloud OS.

i've got a netbook ready to take google chrome OS for a spin when it is released. i was actually prepping it for android (also from google, but designed for mobiles) when and if i learn to make it run on a netbook. but with the google chrome OS in the near horizon, i'm scrapping my research on android. :excl: currently, my netbook is running old windows xp, and i have to tweak it extensively to reduce background processes to a bare minimum and make xp run more efficiently without too much lag.google is a visionary, so it will impact a lot on how we do things in the future. i'm sure microsoft is looking already on how the soon-to-be-born chrome OS will affect their bottom-line, and if they manage to agree within their windows development department committees/members that cloud computing is the wave of the future especially now that google is stepping inside their vaunted OS playground, then they will surely follow suit. :( maybe they will go open-source too and give away their OS for free. :angel:in the final equation, it's a good thing that google announced this new OS. it will spur innovation in the OS market dominated by windows.on it being a cloud OS, i'm hoping google would not limit it much by having us all be connected online to be productive using it. as one member pointed above, not every netbook user can be online especially if connectivity in some countries are priced steeply. that is some serious consideration for google. but i won't panic on this point yet. let's wait and see what they serve us in the next couple of months. :excl:

well since it is based on the linux kernal I'm a bit doubtful about how innovative it will be. Of course it will be innovative and revolutionary but how far?!!! Google is a great company but so are Apple and Sun Microsystems and yet Mac OS X and Solaris have failed to dethrone Microsoft from the position of OS King!

MS may be falling down in the other markets but still holds a lion's share in the OS market so it will be interesting to wait and watch how far the chrome OS will change the market dynamics.

As for me, I will surely try out the new OS coz I like trying out new things and when google releases a product on such a scale, it's bound to be something! :(

Google's OS escalates Microsoft duelJuly 9, 2009 - 5:49AM
Page 1 of 4 | Single Page View
Google Inc is hoping to gain greater control over how personal computers work by developing a free operating system that will attack Microsoft Corp's golden goose - its long-dominant Windows franchise.

The new operating system will be based on Google's nine-month-old web browser, Chrome. Google intends to rely on help from the community of open-source programmers to develop the Chrome operating system, which is expected to begin running computers in the second half of 2010.

The early versions of the Chrome operating system will be tailored for netbooks, a breed of low-cost, less powerful laptop computers that are becoming increasingly popular among budget-conscious consumers primarily interested in surfing the web.

That is a direct challenge to Microsoft, whose next operating system, Windows 7, is being geared for netbooks as well as larger computers.

The vast majority of netbooks already run on Windows, and that is unlikely to change unless Google can demonstrate the Chrome operating system is a significant improvement, said Forrester Research analyst Paul Jackson.

He pointed out that many customers had returned the original netbooks that used open-source alternatives to Windows.

"It was not what people expected," he said. "People wanted Windows because they knew how to use it and knew how applications worked."

Google struck a confident tone in a blog posting late Tuesday night announcing its operating system. The Mountain View, California-based company believes it can streamline the operating system to improve speed and reduce security threats.

"We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear - computers need to get better," wrote Sundar Pichai, Google's vice president of product management, and Linus Upson, Google's engineering director.

Microsoft hadn't responded to requests for comment through Wednesday.

Investors seemed to be betting on Google on Wednesday as its shares rose $US6.82, or 1.7 per cent, to $US403.45 in afternoon trading while shares in Redmond-based Microsoft fell 29 cents, or 1.3 per cent, to $US22.24

MS should be worrying now. Not only have they seem their market pie being eaten by Mac OS and Linux, they have to deal with the Google OS when it is launch. Will you switch from MS Window or Linux to Google OS?

MS should be worrying now. Not only have they seem their market pie being eaten by Mac OS and Linux, they have to deal with the Google OS when it is launch. Will you switch from MS Window or Linux to Google OS?

Well we'll just have to wait and see, wont we?

I doubt many people will switch to Google OS, considering the economy AND the amount of programs that would have to have a new program version for the Google OS.

In time, though, there will of course be converted programs, but only if the Google OS can survive that long.

Don't forget that maybe Microsoft's business could be taken away from this, but the Google OS would also have to compete with the Mac OS and Linux as well, and vice-versa.

It really depends on how attractive it will be to people, and the features that come with it.

microsoft has been around twice as long as google. google has made their stake being the visionaries though. microsoft had and still has almost full control of the os market because they did what google is doing now. people are afraid of change..yea...but change is coming wether people like it or not and i am sure microsoft will fall behind being the visionary company google is. control the os, control the software. control the software, control the browser. control the browser, control where people need to go on the net in the future. i like the fact that google is making this step....even if it's a weak os for a weak notebook. microsoft is not ready to compete in the new age and will fall short in another 5 years. i just hope this "power" google is creating for themselve doesn't go to their heads like ms. i don't it. they have a strong foundation and that foundation partly includes giving back and not having to charge for everything under the sun.

well since it is based on the linux kernal I'm a bit doubtful about how innovative it will be. Of course it will be innovative and revolutionary but how far?!!! Google is a great company but so are Apple and Sun Microsystems and yet Mac OS X and Solaris have failed to dethrone Microsoft from the position of OS King!

MS may be falling down in the other markets but still holds a lion's share in the OS market so it will be interesting to wait and watch how far the chrome OS will change the market dynamics.

As for me, I will surely try out the new OS coz I like trying out new things and when google releases a product on such a scale, it's bound to be something! :(

I'm still confusing about this new "cloud computing". Do we have to get connected to internet every time we want to use the computer? Or, it also has a tool like gears, so we can still continue our work even we don't connected to the internet.I asked this question at another topic which is similar to this topic. The question ie, do we always have to get connected to the net to use the tools, or we can use it offline? anybody knows?

i don't think anyone knows fully what the capabilities would be with cloud computing or if you will be limited from doing work offline. i don't see that in the near future. but basically my take on it is look at it like the phone company. the phone company offers many services. and you only pay for what services you use. this is basically cloud computing where instead of going out and buying software, those services will be available online and you can pick and choice what you want to do and will only get charged for your personal usage. it's a way for companies to make more money in the long run. i really on't know what the advantages are for the end user unless someone needs to share something in real time

bottom line, i am still confused with this concept heheheh but ummm this is my best take on this vision of cloud computing. i still think you will be able to work offline though bud....unless cloud computing takes off where it will be a way for companies to save money and make more in the long run. as far as what it will cost for any given service? who the heck knows. it will also serve the purpose of a universal platform which we really don't have right now(different software for different operating systems that are not compatible with one another)

the question i have is will we be charged for all the free services we already recieve....like email? there's going to be some copetition as i see it so who knows what to expect...

I'm still confusing about this new "cloud computing". Do we have to get connected to internet every time we want to use the computer? Or, it also has a tool like gears, so we can still continue our work even we don't connected to the internet.

Erm, so, will those data which we bought be saved in our PC or we should download it each time we want to use it? I still don't understand the concept of cloud OS nor chrome OS.