xisto Community
harrison858

Moon Colonization When will it happen? What do we need to change?

Ok... there are ideas out there of a possible moon colonization. But, how long until it happens?

Is this... possible? Quite possible. Anything is possible, but are we smart enough to do this?

In any case, we would need resources on the moon. Food, water, shelter. Entertainment, comedy, laughter. Moon colonization should not be for scientists only, which it probably will be at first. If it were only for scientists then i'd bet the population would not be as big as its potential.

To get to the point:

Transportation:

Space shuttles have been retired already, and I doubt that people would want to travel in a rocket. We will need better transportation of space travel soon, at least better transportation for traveling to the moon comercially.

Industrial Developments:

What we've done on the Earth is a MISTAKE. Too much polution and energy waste while it drains away the Earth's energy. Who knows when we'd run out of oil? There should be no dirty industrial development on the moon, period.

Commercial Developments:

Please, not too much of restauraunts that also contribute to polution like it does here on Earth. Fast food chains should be welcome but controlled in their development.

Resources:

Transportation of resources would be expensive, obviously:

Food - Should we grow our own food in big glass domes that magnify the energy of the sun to benefit the plants and animals?

Water - I wonder if water could be reusable..

Shelter - Shelter shouldnt be a problem, as long as it is secure and air tight.

Solar Energy - To avoid use of oil please use Solar Energy.

Security:

Everyone should pass security checkpoints when living on the moon, to avoid possibility of terrorism from within the moon colonies.

Technology:

- Satellite radio should cover the radio music for now.

- It might be a good idea not to have EVERYTHING managed by computers, because computers often have bugs and errors and it might be too risky to let it manage lets say, air locks.

More to be added later, but feel free to add anything you think a moon colony should have.

I think that is more possible that Michael Jackson was an alien than the moon colonization. At first why? why do the people do something to leave in the moon? I think there are no purpose to this and I am sure that in the NASA they are seeing more away: Mars for example. But the moon colonization is something improbable.Your ideas about how the humans can live in the moon i think that you are rigth. but who will can pay the big bill? The goverments are not interested in the moon because any man have put a foot in the moon since 1972. Why? The moon doesn?t have anything fascinatting after all.But if your dream is to live in the moon you have to make some money, get the goverments support and make your dream true.This my point of view.Regards.

I think that is more possible that Michael Jackson was an alien than the moon colonization. At first why? why do the people do something to leave in the moon? I think there are no purpose to this and I am sure that in the NASA they are seeing more away: Mars for example. But the moon colonization is something improbable.
Your ideas about how the humans can live in the moon i think that you are rigth. but who will can pay the big bill? The goverments are not interested in the moon because any man have put a foot in the moon since 1972. Why? The moon doesn´t have anything fascinatting after all.

But if your dream is to live in the moon you have to make some money, get the goverments support and make your dream true.

This my point of view.

Regards.

Well I guess theres nothing interesting about the moon for now. But if people decided to build on the moon i dont know how it would affect it, or how the Earth would be affected if people decided to build on another planet. Would Earth be abandoned? Probably not. Would pollution rise? It probably will if we continue to pollute the Earth.

Hi!@harrison858Moon colonization is a fantasy. Sure, it is possible just like people inhabit space stations, but it is just not economically feasible to have more than a few dozen people living there. With temperatures varying between -185C and 105C, we'd be spending a whole lot on heating and air conditioning.Transporting food, water, and oxygen every few months would be a necessity, but you wouldn't have Internet access, televisions and stuff of that sort for cheap - putting up a satellite needs lots and lots of money, something tax payers wouldn't want to provide moon-dwellers with.You most certainly would need computing devices to monitor such an environment. Building the software requires billions in tax-payer money and it is put to good use with rigorous testing. This isn't standard software and it isn't put through regular software development processes. Mission critical software is tested and reviewed to a very large extend, increasing the cost per line of code greatly, but the cost is justified by the risk avoided to human life and expensive property.Supporting life on the moon would simply put too much pressure on earth's already depleting resources. You'd be better off trying to setup an environment of comfort in the Sahara desert - it'd be cheaper, you could use camels for transport instead of automobiles, you'd have the beautiful sights of the desert all day and would be closer to nature.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I am not really sure if moon colonization would be successful. Sure, if you put enough money into it, anything is possible but, would it really be worth it? There is no atmosphere on the moon so the sun will do more harm than good. Not only will no heat be held to keep the moon at a suitable temperature for human living but, also, the uv rays will penetrate easily to whomever occupies the moon so constant protection will be necessary, as well as constant heating. With resources here already becoming scarce, there is no way it should be shipped up there so we would have to have projects to find and then harness energy on the moon which probably would be one of the easier steps. I'm guessing some sort of bubble would have to be created for people to live in. There would have to be some cheap method of shipping not only people but, also food and other resources until things are established to be self-sufficient and even after I am sure people will want to go back and forth despite how expensive it will be. I'm not real sure whether the soil is safe to grow vegetation as it may have harmful chemicals so it may be hard to filter that out. There is a lot that would have to be taken into consideration before setting up a colony. It will be quite expensive despite the technology and the way the economy is it will be hard to fund without taking money from people who do not want to give it.

Space shuttles have been retired already, and I doubt that people would want to travel in a rocket. We will need better transportation of space travel soon, at least better transportation for traveling to the moon comercially.

The "space lift" is an idea that plenty of groups are working on bringing into a reality. The problem is that many of the devices are currently too small to move people around.

What we've done on the Earth is a MISTAKE. Too much polution and energy waste while it drains away the Earth's energy. Who knows when we'd run out of oil? There should be no dirty industrial development on the moon, period.

That last sentence put me in mind of SimCity :( Everyone always wants to avoid dirty industry, but especially to start with it is unavoidable. Even then, if you have no dirty industry then everything normally produced by them would have to be transported in from Earth, which would be just as bad.

Everyone should pass security checkpoints when living on the moon, to avoid possibility of terrorism from within the moon colonies.

Would these be regular checkpoints for people already living on the planet, or only for new arrivals? Either way it does seem a little bit invasive, and would certainly discourage many people from living there.

I think a huge question that should be asked is how much room is there.... I'm not sure how the size of the moon compares to that of the Earth.Also, when it comes to the lighting up there (and/or solar energy), would it be 12 hours/12 hours like it is here? (Day/night) Or would it be different?I mean there are many things that would have to be considered in order to make living there a viable option. The lighting would be a huge influence when it comes to food growth, since plants can not live without light.

Where is the economic feasibility of space travel in general? and what real tangible benefits can we get from it for which we arent obtaining from current research already? It's a spectacular feat for human kind to be able to live on the moon, but i believe it nothing more than a passing interest or at best a potential fad if we are successfull. One of the well known issues in space travel is the loss of bone density from being in a prolonged 0 gravity environment. Creating a centrigal chamber that houses a community sounds expensive. Like or not i reckon where stuck on earth forever, but its nice to dream i guess.

That will not happen for a long long time. The atmosphere in Moon is definitely not for humans. Unless a place like that in the movie Red Planet starring Arnold Schwarengger is build. Then again, do not think about it, lest Moon gets polluted.

i think moon population is highly probable the only main problem wich is oxygen supply and that matter can be solved quite easily trees and plants turn carbon dioxied into oxygen so all we have to do is fill aroom with carbon dioxide put a couple plants and the start generating oxygen. then once there is enoughf start bringing in people and more plants and walla one problkem solved. also i think many goverments will be willing to spend millions to make this possible becouse it will reduce over population on earth then once moon habitation is proved possible other planets will start being populated and by then space travel will become if not common but not completly uniqe. this is my opinion and if u dont agree go ********** urself

It would be entiely possible to build a colony, but the question would be, why bother? What resourse does the moon have that would make it worthwhile to extend the massive effort in time and money that it would take? Far as I know, the moon is just a giant rock. Even if the planet had valuable ore that could be mined, you would still have the transportation problem of getting it back to earth. Without a water sourse, vegatation could not survive op the surface of the planet, and with no atmosphere the open surfce of the planet could never be used, only man made "bubbles" would work for human and other life forms, like living plants. One possible handy use for the moon would be a NASA type operation. Future space exploration would be easier to take off from the moon instead of earth, since the lack of atmosphere and gravity would make lift offs much much easier than here on earth. Also monitering systems and various satalite system would probably have some advantages for earth. But the lack of gravity would make it a big problem for any humans working there. It is fun to think about though.

moon colonization is definitely not a fantasy just like traveling to the moon was not a fantasy. just like our "brave new world" now is not a fantasy.when? year 3000 at the latest through the beginning stages? who knows. all i know is that it's possible, but many many factors that will influence that project that will provide self sufficiency.what would the factors be? transportation(including fuel) and oxygen would be two biggies

I don't think we will ever fully colonize on the moon due to how many complications there are. Just to name a couple, we have the oxygen issues. We would have to create our own up there (as far as I know). Another is the lack of proper lighting. The Earth works as well as it does because of how the orbits work. The moon is not on the same orbit as Earth, therefore it would cause huge changes in the way things grow (vegetation).There are other issues as well of course, but those two I think are the main ones.

I don't think we will ever fully colonize on the moon due to how many complications there are. Just to name a couple, we have the oxygen issues. We would have to create our own up there (as far as I know). Another is the lack of proper lighting. The Earth works as well as it does because of how the orbits work. The moon is not on the same orbit as Earth, therefore it would cause huge changes in the way things grow (vegetation).
There are other issues as well of course, but those two I think are the main ones.

Yeah, I agree with rpgsearcherz.
We might have a space station there for space exploration, but that's all...

For one, it won't be a big colony anyway due to it's size (too small), and we'll have to set up new laws and everything.
Plus, the countries on Earth will want to claim their own part of the Moon, so it won't be one colony (if there will ever be one), but lots of different colonies from different part of the worlds...

And the orbits is different, I think it's once in 16 hours, if I remember correctly, so the day and night will be shorter too. In time, us humans on the moon will have to adjust to this new surroundings and we might turn out ot be a completely different species.

Also, you wouldn't want to wear a space suit 24/7, would you?
No...

Yeah, I agree with rpgsearcherz.We might have a space station there for space exploration, but that's all...

For one, it won't be a big colony anyway due to it's size (too small), and we'll have to set up new laws and everything.
Plus, the countries on Earth will want to claim their own part of the Moon, so it won't be one colony (if there will ever be one), but lots of different colonies from different part of the worlds...

And the orbits is different, I think it's once in 16 hours, if I remember correctly, so the day and night will be shorter too. In time, us humans on the moon will have to adjust to this new surroundings and we might turn out ot be a completely different species.

Also, you wouldn't want to wear a space suit 24/7, would you?
No...

In terms of the space suit my understanding is they would end up putting people in a "bubble"... Like a dome. More or less it would encompass the entire colony on the moon. This would help with the oxygen issues but only for short term due to energy issues (I'm pretty sure the wind would be different on the moon than on Earth).

Another issue I came up with is the ozone. The ozone is what catches heat and "heats up" the Earth (which is why I find this whole "Global Warming - You're Destroying the Ozone" thing to be ridiculous - destroying the ozone would be COOLING OFF the Earth. People really need to read science journals more often instead of listening to the news). Without a proper ozone (I'm unsure of if the moon has one) it would be too cold, yet again requiring massive amounts of energy to heat it up.

Not to mention the lack of gravity.