xisto Community
asomormridul

Would You Care To Help Me A Little? Introduction and seeking help from senior members

Hi Friends,I am Mridul from India and most particularly from Assam, a North-Eastern State of India. I have little knowledge about websites and all but have a strong desire to know about. I would appreciate for your little words of advice which could be highly beneficial for me.Little about my Home State:My home state Assam is also known as Land of Evergreen Forest. The entire state used to have Green Forest before they were being smuggled by greedy businessmen for some profits. Now the land is known for One Horned Rhino at Kaziranga and Manas national parks, Wild Horses at Dibru Saikhowa National Park and the Upper Assam has a huge Tea Belt to contribute to the Net Tea Export of the country.The River Brahmaputra has a Delta called Majuli, which was world's Largest River Delta but due to continuous erosion for Government's Negligence it is going to be washed up from the world map within decades.Though there are a number of things to speak about my Home State, I conclude briefly with the comment that we the people of Assam are recognize for our Muga Fabrics.

Hello, asomormridul. Welcome to Xisto forums.
I see you want some advice about making websites and such, so here they are.

First learn some xhtml, there are tons of tutorials in the web out there. This is a markup language, xhtml is used to code the elements in a webpage for the browser. It's easy to start with.
After you've learned xhtml, you can start learning CSS, which is used to style the elements in xhtml, for example set colors, position, margins and paddings etc. This also is easy.
Now you that you know how to bring style and content to your website, learn javascript to bring usability. Javascript is a scripting language to run "stuff" on the client side(in the browser).
Don't try to learn them all at the same time, you'll get confused.
After you've learned the important 3, you can move to programming on the server side(code is run before the content leaves the server). The language I suggest you to learn is PHP. You can create dynamic sites with this language and a database. After or while you're learning php, you should learn sql(mySQL), this is used for the database. You use MySQL with PHP to create dynamic content.

As you can see, there's lot to learn.

There are also things regarding the forums that you should know.
The rules
What you should know

Hello, asomormridul. Welcome to Xisto forums.I see you want some advice about making websites and such, so here they are.

First learn some xhtml, there are tons of tutorials in the web out there. This is a markup language, xhtml is used to code the elements in a webpage for the browser. It's easy to start with.
After you've learned xhtml, you can start learning CSS, which is used to style the elements in xhtml, for example set colors, position, margins and paddings etc. This also is easy.
Now you that you know how to bring style and content to your website, learn javascript to bring usability. Javascript is a scripting language to run "stuff" on the client side(in the browser).
Don't try to learn them all at the same time, you'll get confused.
After you've learned the important 3, you can move to programming on the server side(code is run before the content leaves the server). The language I suggest you to learn is PHP. You can create dynamic sites with this language and a database. After or while you're learning php, you should learn sql(mySQL), this is used for the database. You use MySQL with PHP to create dynamic content.

As you can see, there's lot to learn.

There are also things regarding the forums that you should know.
The rules
What you should know

Thanks for your advice. I will learn the xhtml first. To be true, I have no any idea how all these works but still want to try using them to learn about. As you said to learn xhtml first and then go for CSS. But is it possible to learn all these online or I have to go for personalized training under some instructors. To be true, I work in a Bank and therefore I don't have much time in the working hours. I again thank you for your time advising me and your intention to help me out.

No, you would never need personalized training to learn web development,designing. In fact almost all of the web developers are self taught. Also, you would gain more knowledge and experience if you learn on your own. In training centers they only teach you the basics, which you can easily learn on your own and then leave you there. Web development is not a hard core language, there are many ways to get a job done. Its the creativity applied with knowledge which will help you, like blogging which you are doing now.

You can start from here:
http://www.w3schools.com/

As you learn the basics you will uncover many other useful websites on the web.

And if you need any help or get stuck somewhere, you can always fall back on trap. There are many helpful members here who would gladly help you out.

Hi Mridul!If you want to get onto the quick path to websites, you could go with a web hosting account with a pre-installed CMS. Xistro provides a WordPress install as an add-on in its packages.Although, to take up web development professionally, you would need to learn some HTML/CSS/Javascript and get some Photoshop-ing skills.As BCD mentions, you don't need to take up personalized training, but if you do get to an institute, they would help you get started much quicker. You might be able to find a couple of videos on YouTube (I've seen a "Basic HTML and CSS" video on there once). Google is your friend.If you need any more help, you can always post to the forum and you'll get lots of expert advice and solutions to your problems.Regards,Nitin Reddy

hey bud. welcome to trap. go to freewebs.comthere you will find a very easy to use service to create your first website. that is where i started. you will also do well if you search on google for something like "html tutorials" and read up on html. but with freewebs, you don't need to learn html. it's a really good beginner site. once you create your first website little by little, you can always look at the source code(that alien code you wont understand at first which makes up your website) and try to piece things togethr and figure out what pieces of code dos what. it will take a while if your new to all of it so you will need patience and a determination to really learn something on your own. or....heck....take a class. those are good too :(btw- don't get confused in how many things people are telling you to learn to create your first website. ALL YOU NEED to learn is HTML! that is IT. html bud. now go to freewebs and google to do someresearch and post back your experiences. again, welcome!

Hello and welcome! First of all, let me congratulate you on your use of english, it always amazes me how many Indians join this site and how good their english is! Where do you guys learn it? You speak a lot better than most of the people here in the UK!As for learning how to make websites, i would say the opposite to what has been said above. I would say learn HTML by doing it, rather than using a service like freewebs to make the site for you and then look at the code. I think it would be easier to learn a little bit of HTML (For example the <Table> tag) and then just make a page with just one table. Then play about with things like the height, width, number of rows etc.... that way you can see cause and effect. Then move on to DIVs for example, then images, then video, sound and then some other languages like CSS. With just HTML and CSS you can make a website!My favourite site to learn from is tizag.com there they have tutorials for HTML, CSS, PHP, MYSQL, Javascript etc.... So many, start with the HTML ones and you will quickly learn it :( And dont be afraid to experiment, if the tutorial says to make a page with a black background dont be afraid to change it to a red background and then change the colour of the text too and stuff like that, you wont learn well by copying what the tutorials say, instead experiment. When i started learning HTML i learnt how to set the background image ( <body background=image.jpg> ) and once i learned that and a little javascript i just decided i wanted to be able to change the background when i clicked on a link. So i looked up google for how to use javascript on a link (OnClick) and then how to set the background image and put it all together and it worked eventually. Thats the best way to learn, if a site tells you to make a page with one table with two rows then why not add a third row that contains a little image like an "Edit" button. Sure, clicking it wont do anything but you are expanding on what the tutorial tells you to do and you will learn quickly.If you have any questions ask on these forums, there are loads of people here who know so much!