xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
100janovski

Did You Heard About Magicjack?

Quoted text from here.Posted Image

magicJack is a computer peripheral that, in combination with telephony service from the related YMAX Corporation, provides internet-based telephone service (VoIP) to the United States and Canada. The firm's primary product is a USB device which holds both the software necessary to place internet-based telephone calls via a customer-supplied high-speed internet connection, and electronics (technically known as a SLIC, or Subscriber Line Interface) which permit conventional landline telephones to be plugged directly into same device. The products and the claims are promoted through television infomercials and a website.

The company's website attributes the invention of magicJack and the founding of YMAX to Dan Borislow, who has numerous patent claims pending on voice-over-IP (VoIP)-related technology.

The magicJack device works exclusively with the company's captive landline supplier and CLEC (Competitive Local Exchange Carrier), YMAX.

Voicemail is stored on the magicJack servers, and is delivered via email.

My sister has magicJack and she is using it to talk from Macedonia to Afganistan with her husband (he is working there with the US army). I've personaly made a test as i talked with him. The call costed me nothing, but i noticed something. There is a 5-10 seconds delay between the connections (maybe is because the internet i don't know). How ever i can say this is a very cool thing, because you can talk any where, any time with someone for free. I don't know how it work's in Macedonia because it's made only for US and Canada. I guess the seller made some hack with it. My sister bought it for about 50$ used and it does the job very nice.

The magicJack is very good and works great. It is also awesome because it is helping people save a lot of money.  The only issue I have heard about was that the magic Jack company was not providing very good customer service.

-reply by Don Richards

The MagicJacj is an interesting piece of technology, bridging the gap between conventional landline phones and Voice over Internet Protocol. It is great as it doesn't require the user to have speakers and a microphone in order to use the VoIP services, instead they can simply plug in a existing landline phone (which everyone should already have available at home). The only disadvantage here is that if you use the MagicJack hardware, you are restricted to using their own VoIP service and are unable to utilise other cheaper VoIP service with the hardware. Looking at the price, it seem to be more costly to use than other cheaper established VoIP service providers like Skype, although those have high initial costs with VoIP equipment such as speakers and a microphone. Plus, it doesn't seem to have free PC-to-PC calling available with their VoIP service.

When I saw the commercials for this thing I thought bullcrap right in front. Not that it wouldn't work but I mean it must not have the same quality and is there caller id, call waiting? They don'y talk about it very much in commercials. Has anyone personally used this?

theres a free trial in their website but only to those people who are living in US and CAN as always xD mmmwell another new great technology and you can talk to someone even if its countries away much in you,its like he/she is in your side hope I can have this one