xisto Community
ivan98

How To Make Operating System

Can you please explain what you men by "edit windows"?Do you mean make changes, EG settings?Or do you literally mean programming windows?Because to actually edit the program code you need either the source code (not available) or a decompiler (probably wont work) so really its not possible, even if it was possible its illegal. However, you can freely edit most linux codes as long as they fall under the GPL or GNU licenses. But to do so requires a high level of knowledge and program skill.It is not possible to use a program to make an operating system from scratch. Forget that idea, and if you are asking for a program to help you code an operating system then you dont have the skill required to make an operating system. So again, give up on that idea too.

I would imagine so but im not sure.It cant really be written in much else except some sort of assembly code

Hi!

I believe what you want to do is to customize the components available with Windows. Windows XP enables you to do this in the embedded edition, often abbreviated to XPe. You can get a copy of the Windows XP Embedded Edition Kit at:
http://www.microsoft.com/err/windowsembedded/

There's a Unix/Linux distribution with something similar, but I can't remember which - either OpenSUSE or OpenSolaris.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

COSMOSHow To Make Operating System

To make a os I use COSMOS. You will need visual C sharp and the COSMOS user kit

-reply by Microchip?