xisto Community
anwiii

Html News Ticker how do i create an html news ticker?

i don't know if you would call it an html news ticker or not, but what i want to know is how to take a portion of one of my pages, and have it automatically displayed on another page. i am not talking about frames, but html and/or javascript. i want it so when i update one portion of my page, the other page will be updated automattically for the little portion of the page i updated.is there any easy free program that can do this or maybe someone can write a tutorial and post it? or heck. just explain it here.now if what i am talking about isn't an html news ticker? what would you call it exactly? i guessed for the title. sorry :(

What you're talking about is known as an include - taking the contents of one page/file and displaying them within another.

This can be accomplished in HTML with the following code:

<!--#include virtual="file.html" -->

You will then need to rename the original page with the extension .shtml for the include to work. Hope that helps.

If you're going to be placing this code in an HTML page and your HTML pages can parse PHP, then you can use the include function of PHP. Another way is to use AJAX. The only downside to AJAX is that it requires the user to have JavaScript enabled on their browser. But with AJAX you can have that little part of the site update without leaving or refreshing the page. Server-side includes require refreshing or entering a page with it to update the content.