xisto Community
xavier1280

E-commerce Shopping Cart

Hi All,I am very new to E-Commerce, I've recently acquired a web design project. My client requirements is to Store Customer Details, Product Listing, Manage Categories and products, Manufacturers, Specials and develop reports for best viewed products, products purchased, Customer Orders and they should be able to add it to cart and checkout and accept different methods of payments including credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Direct Debit) and keep track of recurring payments.. Is there a pre configured script for PHP? or does the hosting plan needs to have ecommerce support???Any help would be appreciated. I need to start from scratch and very new to this process.

osCommerce will probably be the best idea here. It is an open-source PHP application for e-commerce, which includes various plugins for dealing with payment gateways including PayPal and WorldPay (if I remember correctly).

To accept credit and debit card payments will require a merchant bank account, a business bank account to link it to, and access to a payment gateway. This is best sorted out by speaking face to face with the business manager of the bank used by your client. Alternatively, you can use something like PayPal or Google Checkout. They will deal with all the payment processing, but will take a higher percentage of your earnings.

Direct debit is used for recurring payments, and is set up between an individual and their bank to pay bills. If you feel you need direct debits then you will again have to speak to the business manager at your client's bank to see what is involved and whether you can set them up online. PayPal does have the option to set up subscriptions and recurring payments, and there is probably a module to do it for osCommerce, which will save you from dealing with direct debits.

OS commerce will be the best for this. Some hosts provide with free ecommerce support so you can use them. It also depends on how much are you ready to buy a shopping cart for. There are plenty of good ones out there but they come with a hefty price tag. But if you client is going to pay you a lot then why not, right? You could also try to find some plugins. You may need to script a little but not too much that it will give you a headache. You should try reasearching too. Who knows that you come across a better shopping cart which is new. The internet is full of endless possibilites.

A new possiblity for you is using online web forms
with a self-totaling component. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.fospace.com/FOSformexample103.htm
https://www.elbowspace.com/FRHformexample8.htm

It seems you can add products and prices to these forms
and when in use, they calculate totals, tax & shipping with
each stroke of the keyboard. The grand total can then
be passed to Paypal or Authorize.net for payment. The difference
between this and a standard shopping cart is all shopping
decisions are made on one web page and sent to the server only
once.

Actually there are some free entrie solutions you can refer to, but they just have limited functions. So if you wana fix your website, you need to pay for the shopping cart or personalized service. :angel:

Well Oscommerce and Agora shopping cart have enough features for security and transactions. We can also connect with payment gateway solutions. They also have installation script inside cpanel that comes with your hosting package. I think oscommerce is perfect for your needs and you can even integrate it with any solution provider you want. If directpay or sagepay are your solution providers then they can allow you to integrate with oscommerce.