xisto Community
Baniboy

Some Questions About Cms which one?

I'm going to make a new website, and I just don't want to code all the stuff and I doing a dynamic site would be just a pain for me, not any more painful than making a static one but still... PAINFUL. I need the site up as quickly as I can.I was wondering if I should use a CMS or not. I have been using wordpress to publish tutorials on another site, but I want to try out a CMS on the newer one. I was hoping if someone here could help me choose one... :( Of course if you think using a CMS is a mistake and I could use another website software for that, feel free to inform me.I have a few(or more actually) demands for a CMS. I'm going to publish tutorials made by me and other people, so I need the following features:URL_Rewrite, automated metatags(keywords, describtion), sitemapping and RSS feeds for SEOing. If these can be achieved by plugins to the CMS, that'll do too.I need Breadcrumbs(a path to the article or archive displaying on top of the article content, like "food -> chinese -> noodles", and sorry if noodles aren't a chinese invention, I didn't know :angel:), again if a plugin/mod/whatever is needed to add to the CMS, that'll do. I also need one with free templates to choose from and edit them to my style. Also, it would be better if installing plugins/mods would be easy. A right box displaying latest articles, I also want a login and registration system, so that members can publish their own articles too.It would be nice also that the articles are easy to publish, and commenting is possible. As an extra, I would say would be an option to rate articles.I will add other features to this topic as I go on and discover things that I need. Thanks for guidance in advance!

I can be way off here but I thought Wordpress was "like" a CMS. Blogs or CMS they tend to lose and commingle with one another by the way a user utilizes it. I've been mainly using Cutenews just because it was easier to mod or hack them they way I want. But more powerful CMS would be Joomla which offers breadcrumb and mod_rewrites. Very nice. I started to use it and then I found out it was bit over my head. I like to have control over every part of the code and Joomla wasn't easy as I'd hoped.

check out sNews CMS found here and the support Forum is here.
I find it is very effective and has all the things you ask about. SEO friendly URLs, breadcrumbs, Categories, sub-categories, Articles, static pages, sitemap, Comments, spam control on comments,. And Mods for Galleries, Tags for Article keywords, Tag Clouds, Langiage packs. Bunch of good stuff. Best part is that it is a single file CMS. Easy to use and Develop.

I was going to choose Joomla!, but I want to keep my options open. @jlhaslipOne core file?! Wow, that's nice, but I don't think I have enough knowledge to edit the core :(I checked it, but I didn't find anything about a login/registering system. *EDIT: I just found one after searching the site* My first option now is joomla, but I'll first try them out on a local(or maybe on the hosting package I have with Xisto - Web Hosting) before sticking with one. I'll definately try out sNews and Joomla!, but I'll try others too, if you have any other suggestions, feel free to share.BH, you mentioned cutenews, I've never tried that one myself, is it good? does it meet with the requirements I have stated in the first post? Anyway thanks for the information, BH and JL.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

This is an update to my topic. Well anyway, I was trying out these content management systems and after trying 4 of those, I had a "what the hell I'm doing?!"-moment.I realized that all those features I want, I can get with using wordpress, and therefore there's no need for CMS, but I'll have to customize the theme or at least find the closest thing I want, but the themes are so outdated! I can barely find a theme for v. 2.7, not even talking about WP 2.8. So I'll just have to edit... ugh... :(Well anyway thanks for all the help guys, if I ever want to make a blog or something like that, kinda like simple project, I'll use sNews, it's great and very flexible, the only weakness is that it doesn't have enough users/developers.