xisto Community
-Sky-

Review: Central-gaming.net Updates to only our main page.

Hey guys.

OK, so...it's been a few months with our forums offline I know. I've been doing new updates and upgrades to our entire website. Though I have been way behind schedule due to my exams and prepairing to leaving School and coming up to joining and going back to Stephensons College at Coalville, doing my IT Course. haray for only 3 more weeks at school! (Or is it 2 weeks...) :( I can't wait !! Anyway, I've been designing our new mainpage on Central-Gaming, and so far it's awesome. I've asked for friends opinions and their comments. All of their comments where "Awesome" "cool site" "Wow, good job dude.". Now it's time to publish this review to everyone on Xisto.

At the moment I have been concentrating only and mainly on the design more then the content (I will be putting more content on soon). To me right now, the design is everything and needs to be done correctly. I am asking from all of you for a few simple things.

1. Comments.

2. Suggestions.

3. Opinions.

I am wanting this webpage to be it's BEST. I made a little screenshot and made the image small to fit. Take a look in the attachment.

Link: Central-Gaming.net

Thank you for all of your comments, they are much appreciated! :angel:

post-67096-1245498047_thumb.png

208 errors from the validator: validator.w3.org

Fix them or take the logo off :( There is a slight bug with the RSS logo on the right hand side. Before you hover over the logo, you can see the white version displayed below the orange version. If you are going to use the sprite-style backgrounds then you will need to limit the height of the container for that image so the second version isn't displayed at the same time. Alternatively, flip the image around so the white version is above the orange one, and change the CSS accordingly. The Firefox logo is also massive compared to pretty much everything else on the site! I'd shrink it down because at the moment it dominates the screen when you have scrolled down the page. Other than that, an excellent design. Great work.

Thanks rval. I'll look into the issue. And at the Validator results, they all show on line 21. How do I fix that?Firefox image/logo shrunk to a better and more...noticable size. Just so it's not too big. :( What else do you and/or others recommend?

And at the Validator results, they all show on line 21. How do I fix that?

All you seem to be doing is importing a JavaScript file? So why can't that line be changed to just:
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts/script.js" />

That would be valid and work perfectly fine. I'm not sure where you got the line you are using now, or why it's like that, but it doesn't make much sense and is causing hundreds of errors. I've also never seen those "_wpro" attributes before, and they are not part of any standard.

Firefox image/logo shrunk to a better and more...noticable size. Just so it's not too big. :(

The logo looks a lot better now - less dominating over the screen, but still noticeable.

OK, I've fixed the errors.

This document was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!

Congratulations
The document located at <http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. This means that the resource in question identified itself as "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" and that we successfully performed a formal validation using an SGML, HTML5 and/or XML Parser(s) (depending on the markup language used).

:(

So, what should I do to make it much better now? And should I put on the "Passed" icon thing in again?

OK, I've fixed the errors.

:(

So, what should I do to make it much better now? And should I put on the "Passed" icon thing in again?

I tried clicking on the calendar and it's asking me to log in which makes sense, but that page looks a little off. The user name and password text boxes all the way to the left versus centered. I know this is a quick fix and should give the look and feel a boost. I'll look at more when I can. Looks great overall.

It's a wonderfully designed site, the colors and the layout fits perfectly in the picture you want the visitor to get about it, I would've commented on the lack of content but you said that you were focusing more on the design now so I'll leave that alone :angel:

The fact that it validates makes it even better, it looks perfectly in Opera here, maybe you should continue practicing your skills and make more websites.

A job well done 9/10 :(

For the past few months now, Central-Gaming.net has been under maintenance. The reason for having CG down for a few months is because of the Database Backup Automatic Proceedure, and trying to find a new forum skin. Well, atlast we've found one! :excl:The new skin is working perfectly, and is a very nice skin. It's not too hard on the human eye's, the images, background and colors are perfect! :excl:Though, we are still missing something...what did the old CG have (before being offline) that this new relaunched one does not?...That's right. We are missing our Navigation strip. Yes, the navigation bar that navigates us throughout this site! :excl: Unfortunately it's not just basic HTML, it is partly Javascript aswell. I shall get back to coding it A.S.A.P.We will be also having more forums for games as we go along. New games being released etc. We shall get all of this fixed up within a few days. :(Though we need more comments and suggestions. :angel:

Design wise, I would say it is great. One thing that I dont quite like, the difference in design between the home and the forum. Understand that you might want to have a separate design for it, but on my first visit, because of the (vast) difference in design, I thought it is actually another website that the link have lead me to.

I am sorry for the confusion. :( Though getting or making a skin that's completely the same as the forums, will be quite hard. Unless I could get someone to make a colorful banner, that'd be great.

Though getting or making a skin that's completely the same as the forums, will be quite hard.

To me it looks like something that can be pulled off in no more than a day, though i would say it should actually take around a few hours. But that's assuming you have a simple template system going on (which it looks like you do).