xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Identify This Mysterious Game Console.

I remember this thing from when I was young, it was a big type writer/keyboard shaped thing that hooked up to a television. It had a RadioShack tape recorder with it and the game cartridges were things that looked like cassettes. I remember playing with it a lot. It also had these really old fashioned looking controllers which I think were just a small box with a button and a joystick type thing on top but I'm not sure. What was this thing called? Did anyone else ever use it?

That's actually a pretty vague description. A lot of video game systems/personal computers of that time had similar designs to what you described. I don't know which one you're talking about, but my friend has a Commodore 64 which would fit the description, among other systems I'm sure. I'm not too familiar about the accessories, but you mentioned keyboard and that was my first thought.

It looked a lot like a Commodore 64 but that's not what it was it had a different name. It could have been a clone of some sort I don't know for sure. It's not really important, I was just going to ask if anyone ever had one but I forgot what it was called :(. I looked it up on Google a couple years ago and I found it, but now I can't seem to find it. Should have a better memory I guess.. lolI remember this game for it where I think two people played and shot arrows at each other or something. Really simple games back then lol.

I'll list every available game console from first generation to last in the 'specific' period of time you demand (in quote tags because they're copied from Wikipedia). Their debut sales dates are in brackets:

First generation (1972–1977)

Magnavox Odyssey (1972)

Posted Image

Magnavox Odyssey 200 (1975)

Posted Image

Atari/Sears Telegames Pong (1975)

Posted Image

Coleco Telstar (1976)

Posted Image

Second generation (1976–1984)

Fairchild Channel F (1976)

Posted Image

Nintendo Color TV Game (1977)

Posted Image

Atari 2600 (1977)

Posted Image

Magnavox Odyssey2(1978)

Posted Image

Mattel Intellivision (1979)

Posted Image

Atari 5200 (1982)

Posted Image

Vectrex (1982)

Posted Image

Emerson Arcadia 2001 (1982)

Posted Image

ColecoVision (1982)

Posted Image

Sega SG-1000 (1983)

Posted Image

Third generation (1983–1992)

NES/Famicom (1983)

Posted Image

Sega Master System (1985)

Posted Image

Atari 7800 (1986)

Posted Image

I don't believe the console you demand is from any later generation, but you can check the others out too on the right menu named Consoles here...

You need to be a bit more specific about its looks, Unparallelogram there is right when he says that almost every gaming system back then looked like you suggested, maybe you can give us what color is it perhaps....

I was looking through that list on Wikipedia and I think it was a RadioShack Tandy TRS-80 Personal Computer. Apparently I was wrong calling it a game console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Color_Computer

The first image looks very familiar and the red green blue by the logo seems to ring a bell so it must be it.

Oh, my good old buddy Tandy! ha ha ha.I started my computer/gaming days with Tandy 1000 (god bless 2bit sound card...). Formatting 5-1/4 diskette took nearly 15 minutes of wholesome 360KB fun! I used to carry the "emergency" DOS diskette and once revived the whole computer lab. Ah... the good times ha ha ha