xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

A Suggestion For Changing The Threads' Structure

This is not an original idea - it was implemented at another forum which uses IPB as well and it's worked really well.Whenever a thread gets a certain amount of replies, the next reply forms a new page, right? An active thread gets many pages like this. And when someone clicks on the thread title, they are taken to the latest post in the last thread. For a member who is viewing the thread for the first time, the discussion may not make sense (unless he wants to reply based on the title) and to go to the original post he has to click on "go to first page" and then give a reply.The idea is, why not change the thread structure so that the original post is always the first post in the page, no matter how many pages are formed? That way the members can always know what the thread is really about. Below that first post the structure would be the same as now. What do you say?

I don't understand what you're saying here, kasperooney. When I click on a thread title of a large multi page thread I've never read or even seen before, it loads the first page, first post. Normally I always click the go to first new unread link which seems to work. I tried it on a few different threads and it all works the same. Am I misunderstanding what you're explaining here? In fact, it's that way on every forum I'm a member of. :(

oops sorry I should have made myself clearer...I meant that normally, users click on the thread titles from the main index page isn't it? In that case, the "go to last unread" option is automatically enabled and the member is taken to the last post. If you click on the thread title inside the forum then you're taken to the first page. But many members usually click on the threads on the main page, intrigued by the titles, and in most cases they are confused by the latest posts, which are some 10 pages away from the original post!

We have changed the way posts are displayed because, many times GUESTS visit not the 1st Page but some page in-between the topic-pages. In these cases, the guest is confused about the MAIN TOPIC itself. Also, when you start reading a topic and view other pages, Sometimes, you tend to forget the first post itself. So, I felt, this new format for displaying posts is best.

This is a good change keeping the guests in view - it's important to convert those guests into members so this is a good strategy. And since the regular members always have an option to go back to the normal view, it is convenient for all. So thanks for this quick update Opaque :)

Yeah, I personally like it both ways, really depending on the topic. Sometimes when I use search I'm glad that the first post still shows up (as I may end up on like page 7) and other times it's just a hassle. I think those who are searching or come here from external links (such as on a search engine) like it how it is now, as it is much easier to keep up with what is going on.