xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Smf Modding, Need A Lil Help Blocking email domains

Evening all, the story goes like this.... Where i work (a school) one of the senior management team (SMT) has decided she wants a forum which the kids and staff can access. We all know this is a truly terrible idea, but there you go....Now, ive looked at the SMF forums, they are clean, simple and PHP/SQL based, as its a school however there are concerns over several things like bullying etc... but one thing i am concerned about, well two actually, is outsiders registering to the forums and not being able to trace an account back to the student (so if they are abusing people they can be dealt with by more than a forum ban!) my way to solve this is to require email authentication and have the forum setup to accept only the school email address domain (lets call it user@school.something.ext.ext that is the format, not the values). Ive been tinkering with the code for the registrations but i cant work out where i am in the overall structure of it all! There doesnt seem to a toolbox where i can search all files for a certain string (in this case strings that control and check the email values before inserting into the DB) If i can find the point of insertion i can easily add some code to detect the "@" character and strip the domain from what they entered. Ive modded the HTML to explain only to enter the "user" part of "user@domain.com" so its fairly obvious, but there will always be one who types "user123@hotmail.com" and i need to get it back down to "user123" it will then send an email to "user123@school.something.ext.ext" and if that account doesnt exist then they wont get their activation email and cant access the forums. It also prevents, to an extent, fake user accounts as to access it the student needs to have access to that email address. Easy to spoof by typing "spoofname" as the username and then "myname@email.com" but then they can only have one account per email so they wouldnt be able to access the system as themselves. I also need to mod the email change system to prevent them signing up with school email then swapping over to external email.This could all be in vain as the guy that wrote our intranet will be coming in and he may well just code his own forum but if not then itd be good to have a solution ready! So if anyone can point me in the right direction (some sort of SMF tool to search for variables etc.. would be handy :( ) id be eternally grateful.

I think there is a permission that won't allow email addresses to be changed. If there isn't, I can instruct you on how to make it so that only admins can see it. For the rest I would instruct you to go to the community forums, as they have some great coders "Blue Dream" has helped me several times. If you need more help PM me at the SMF boards (same username) or email me using the contact forms on the sites in my signature.