xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
contactskn

How Can I Display Unicode Charecters In Dreamweaver.

Dear friends,I am trying to use dreamweaver to edit my webpages. But when I am trying to insert unicode charecters in the webpage only question marks are displayed "???????". How can I display unicode charecters in dreamweaver when I want to edit my site. Previously I was using interdeveloper and frontpage to edit my site and unicode was displayed very easily. Moreover I would also want to know which editor do you use to edit your webpages and does it supports unicode. Please help me to resolve this problem. Thanking you in advance.

Dreamweaver should already support Unicode. See what encoding your website is using. That is, see if you have the following in the header:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
If you don't, then the browser is most likely defaulting to Latin-1. You have to inform the browser what character encoding to use.

Hi!@contactsknI've had a similar issue before with some other editors. When you copy-paste text into Dreamweaver (I'm guessing this is how you are adding in the unicode text), go to the File-Save As dialog and select the text encoding as Unicode.I simply use Notepad++ for editing pages and it's got perfect Unicode support. Regular Windows has a problem with right-to-left text so you might want to try a version of Windows that was modified to support right-to-left languages completely. This is mostly an annoyance while selecting text with the cursor or while editing it along with English (or other left-to-right language) text.RegardsPS: If you are using Ubuntu Linux 9.04, the "vi" editor supports Unicode too! I use it for quick edits to my files while they're hosted on a server. I also occasionally use Gedit or Kedit.