xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Solar-powered Cell Phone From Samsung

Hi!

Samsung has recently released a solar-powered cellphone called the Crest Solar. This isn't one of those gimmicky solar panels that you plug into your phone - this solar panel is actually built into the back of phone!

Check out the pic below:

Posted Image

(Image source: The Register)

An hour of charging gets you anywhere between five and ten minutes of talk-time, but if you don't use your phone all that much and are outdoors most of the time, it can do away with having to charge your phone by plugging it in. That's a pretty small target market but just the geek factor from having a solar panel built into the phone ought to help boost sales.

Regards,

Nitin

5-10 minutes eh? I doubt if that is going to bring in a lot of people....of course that will serve as an emergency charge but I still doubt it because apart from the solar charge it has to have all those additional features that are required for a phone to sell in the market these days! :(Still it's a good start. maybe we'll get to see more powerful solar phones in the near future...

Wow!, now officialy a hybrid phone lol, just like the cars. I remember playing a gameboy (not the color one the enormous one plain first that ever came out)i had to leave it charging for like 2 days just to be able to play for like 1 hour lol, But it was better than nothing since we were to broke to affor batteries haha, but wow solar powered phones i wonder if people would like these. Any links that tell you more info about this phone or do i have to go to "The Register" and look for it?

Here's a site which gives you some info and some cool views of the phone too:

Solar Phone

Believe it or not, the body of the phone is made by recycling water bottles!

Thank you, and wow, this is about the best recycled phone i have ever heard of, and boy its touch screen hope it comes out on the new 4g network, incredibly fast network speeds. Lets just say the new era of phones are comming and they are looking spectacular.

Hi!

@Veradesigns

Hehehe... no, they don't have those yet. As you can tell from the picture, it's a plain-vanilla phone with a built-in FM radio! Way back in the old days, people looked at you with envy if you said your phone had a radio in it :-D

A body made of recycled plastic bottles sounds good. I wonder if it's unbreakable like the PET Heinz ketchup bottles :-P

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

PS: Here's the link for the post on The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/12/solar_crest/

I wonder if it's unbreakable like the PET Heinz ketchup bottles :-P

well you could always try by buying it and then smashing it on the floor! :(

people in some countries haven't even got 3g access yet, I dont think we will be seeing 4g for this any soon...and yeah a radio-phone never goes out of fashion - it's always on the list of most wanted features

Hi!@kasperooneyDid you ever notice how the iPhone doesn't have a radio and it's considered the ultimate smart phone ever? I believe Nokia features a radio in every smart phone, though I haven't had a chance to try out the current generation of communicators (the last I had were the 9210i and the 9110 and neither of them carried a radio). I wonder of the Palm Pre has an FM radio... and the LG & Samsung clones of the iPhone.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I never looked at the feature set of the iPhone up-close since I'm in no position of buying one in the near future, but a lack of a radio must be really irritating to the iPhone owners! Does the new generation 3G S have a radio? It does have a lot of new features doesn't it?