xisto Community

I was going through my brother's old programming books when I read about this web browser called "Lynx". It's a text-only browser that was used a long long long long time ago :angel: It's nothing compared to our modern browsers but still has an intriguing look and feel about it.

I've included some screenshots for you all to see and if anyone you want to check it out the link is http://lynx.invisible-island.net/ And if you can't tell from the screenshots, I posted this topic using Lynx! :(

It's a text-only browser that was used a long long long long time ago :excl:

I still use it now quite a bit :( Especially on sites that insist on being made entirely in Flash. I just don't like them, and Lynx forces them to display a default HTML version. If they don't have one then I get to complain and baffle them with my use of Lynx :angel:

It's nothing compared to our modern browsers but still has an intriguing look and feel about it.

I can't really say much for the look and feel, but it is certainly more secure than any of today's other browsers.

Yes that's a rally good use of Lynx and it saves a lot of bandwidth for people like me who have limited internet plans...and although the security feature can be said to be the best, it will never gain popularity again in today's crazy world where all people want is a heavy GUI!Are there any other such browsers that you know of? It would be nice to take a look at history.

it would be funny if there was a law where the webmaster MUST provide a html verison of the website and without the crazy of heavy graphics that could take up a lot of BW.i love it lynx. straight to the point without the hassle.

Ha ha a law on the internet? That would really be funny! :angel:Seriously though, this wouldn't work out too well. There is an option for people to turn off the images in their browsers so that should save them from flashy websites. And some websites simply must have heavy graphics or else they lose their charm :( People simply can't resist showing off in these days!