xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Ubuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu may work only with Ubuntu

Disclaimer: Use this tutorial at your own risk. Though I haven't given any harmful procedure, I am not responsible if you take a wrong step and end up in a bad situation. So keep your eyes open!

I'm not sure if this tutorial applies for distributions other than Ubuntu...I'm pretty sure they won't, but blame by liiitle knowledge of other distributions if this works on others.

The requirements for this process to be successful are:

1.Any version of the Linux Distribution Ubuntu (preferably 8.04 or higher) installed on your system along with any version(s) of Windows.

2.You should be booting from the GRUB bootloader instead of the Windows bootloader.

Did you ever want to change the name of the operating system you're using? Well you can't do that practically, but you sure can change the name of the OS in the list that shows up in the dual-boot screen. The only reason that we're using GRUB to do this is because the bootloader that Windows uses doesn't allow you to do this. Ubuntu grants you full freedom!

Okay so let's get started, shall we?

1.Log into Ubuntu (should be an admin account)

2. Open a terminal window (it can be found in Applications --> Accesories --> Terminal)

3. Type in the following command:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

(Note: In "menu.lst", it is not the number "1" but the letter "el" that is in the extension)

It will prompt you to enter your password. Type in your password and press enter.

4. A text file with the name "menu.lst" will open up. This is the file using which Ubuntu utilizes the GRUB bootloader. Now be careful as to what you do in here because the slightest mistake at the wrong place could mess up your bootloader. There's nothing to be scared of, just follow the next steps carefully.

5. In this text file, scroll down to the bottom.You should be seeing the name of your Windows OS beside a word "title". If you can't see it, press Ctrl+F and search with the name of your Windows OS. It will be highlighted.

Posted Image

6.Now that you have found it, time to make some changes! But be careful...you must change only the name and nothing else.Now delete the name of the Windows OS. Only the OS name and nothing else...not even the word "title" that is beside the OS name.

Posted Image

7.Now save the file and exit.After restarting, you'll find the name you've given to windows in the boot menu. If you have more than one version of Windows running, you can edit their names too in the same way. All the OSes other than Ubuntu will be listed out at the end of the "menu.lst" file. So play around with the titles till you run out of quirky names!

(Note: Do not change anything else in this file unless you know what you are doing.)

Have fun! :(

This Can be done in M$ WindowsUbuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu
With Admin privileges, right click my computer go properties. Navigate to the Advanced tab and under Startup and Recovery, click settings. Under System Startup, click edit. This will lauch the boot.Ini file in notepad. Here you can modify the various boot options.You should ONLY change the name in parentheses under [operating systems]. (Note: Do not change anything else in this file unless you know what you are doing.)

This Can be done in M$ WindowsUbuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu

With Admin privileges, right click my computer go properties. Navigate to the Advanced tab and under Startup and Recovery, click settings. Under System Startup, click edit. This will lauch the boot.Ini file in notepad. Here you can modify the various boot options.You should ONLY change the name in parentheses under [operating systems]. (Note: Do not change anything else in this file unless you know what you are doing.)

That's some new info, and is indeed preferable for those who are dual-booting different versions of Windows. But for those who are using Windows and Linux, the GRUB boot loader is more preferable to the Windows one, because it is much easier to configure and easy to restore in case of damage, through a live CD. Restoring the Windows boot loader from damage can be a tricky process indeed...

No ubuntu / no booting into w7!Ubuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu

Hi, your turtorial about how to change names in a boot menu is easy to understand and well explained. Plus it comes very close to my problem, but doesnt really solve it. I got W7 installed and later ubuntu. Kept having problems with ubuntu, so I deleted it on the partition. But than grub error comes up and it doesnt boot into w7 anymore. Had to reinstall ubuntu to boot at all, and always into ubutnu first. How can I change booting order. Or how can I boot again, without having ubuntu on the lap top?

Thanks a lot

Bernd Eichwalder/Austria

Hi, your turtorial about how to change names in a boot menu is easy to understand and well explained. Plus it comes very close to my problem, but doesnt really solve it. I got W7 installed and later ubuntu. Kept having problems with ubuntu, so I deleted it on the partition. But than grub error comes up and it doesnt boot into w7 anymore. Had to reinstall ubuntu to boot at all, and always into ubutnu first. How can I change booting order. Or how can I boot again, without having ubuntu on the lap top?

Deleting the Ubuntu partition won't delete GRUB because it's installed separately so remember this the next time :o I got a little confused with your question but assuming I'm right, you want to Windows 7 to be the default boot option? It's really simple - just follow the above tutorial till you reach the file "menu.lst". In that, search for the word "default". It should lead you to a paragraph which looks something like this:

## default num# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

Notice the last line: "default 0" Now remember how your boot menu looks like - it has Ubuntu on the top and Windows at the end, right? Well you have to enter the number of the line in which Windows shows up in your boot menu. Confused? Here's an example. Let's assume your boot menu looks like this:

Ubuntu 9.10Ubuntu 9.10 recovery mode
Ubuntu memtest
Other operating systems:
Windows 7

Now Windows 7 is in the 5th line, right? But start counting from 0, and that means Windows 7 is in the fourth line. Now in that "menu.lst" file, in the line "default 0", replace the "0" with "4". (I'm just assuming your boot menu is like that - if it's different count the lines starting from 0 and replace the "0" with the number of the line W7 is on). So it now reads "default 4" The next time you boot up, W7 will be selected by default :) Hope that helped

Deleting the Ubuntu partition won't delete GRUB because it's installed separately so remember this the next time :)

Deleting a default (i.e. uncustomized) Ubuntu installation will delete GRUB. The only thing it won't delete is whatever GRUB put into the MBR. This will result in an unbootable system, because "GRUB" can't find GRUB; i think the error number it spits out is 15 or 13 (can't really remember). In order to fully separate GRUB you have to provide a separate partition for the /boot directory. That way when you delete Ubuntu, you will still have GRUB lying around.

Deleting a default (i.e. uncustomized) Ubuntu installation will delete GRUB. The only thing it won't delete is whatever GRUB put into the MBR. This will result in an unbootable system, because "GRUB" can't find GRUB; i think the error number it spits out is 15 or 13 (can't really remember). In order to fully separate GRUB you have to provide a separate partition for the /boot directory. That way when you delete Ubuntu, you will still have GRUB lying around.

Thanks for clearing that one - I think it's error 17 - saw that quite a number of times...

When I boot up the device I will get a list (menu list) of options which contains 5 choices to boot into different versions: ubuntu 9.04, ubuntu 9.04 recovery mode and ubuntu memtest, other operating system: and Windows Vista (loader). If I select eiUbuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu

When I boot up the device I will get a list (menu list) of options which contains 5 choices to boot into different versions: ubuntu 9.04, ubuntu 9.04 recovery mode and ubuntu memtest, other operating system: and Windows Vista (loader). If I select either of the options (other operating system or Windows Vista (loader). I will get a screen stating an error message stating either error11 or error 12. Kindly give me a remedy to come out of that deep trouble I have some important data in windows that are to be taken back-up. Awaiting for your response at the earliest.

-question by Santhosh

lost xp in dual boot Ubuntu-windows Dual Boot: Changing Os Name In Boot-up Menu

I have been using windows and ubuntu 9.04 in a dual boot notebook for the past 6 months and all worked well.

Last week I did the latest updates to ubuntu 9.04 and the XP option dissapeared from the boot options. Ubuntu is working fine but no XP boot option. 

The XP OS is still listed when I check the drive but no way to boot it. (places, computer) and winxp is there.

What is the best way to get back to the dual boot that I had?

-reply by James