xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Get My Site Popular?

Hi Guys,I keep asking many people now on how to get my site popular they never get back to me with an answer :XD:, So I thought I would ask you guys :lol:.So How can I get my site popular?Many people say it has to be unique but that it is very hard now-a-days with all the millions of web pages and and sites out there. I am talking about my site (ITneed.net). I have been advertising ect... On quite big sites but members just seem to sign up and then sign in or be active again :/Please help me trappers!- Ash.

I missed this and this is kinda late reply but whatever :(

Well you need lots of content, lots of users and lots of traffic.

You should have the kind of content people are actually looking for (YES, I'm talking about search engines). You'll have SEO your forums if you haven't already done so and advertise your site in the right places, for example you're offering "free computer support", join a forum about computers and stuff like that and link to your site in your signature. I have to admit, there are few people in this world that actually sign up and stay active in any forums if they don't get anything in return(hah!). So you need interesting content to keep people coming back.

It's also important what kind of content you have on your site, if you have content in multiple categories and not just one, you'll attract more people with different interests. For example: If you make a whole forum about computer hardware, it's probable that you won't get many members, but if have different content, even people not interested about hardware will come and post replies and about let's say software.

Anyway, if you got my point, it's all about the content, without a lot of content you'll not attract users.

you are correct. so is bani boy. you will never create a unique site for content. everything has pretty much already been done. BUT, the more unique it is, the better placement you will get on the search engines because of less competition.

content is king. yes. this is true. you want to attract users, but most importantly, keep them on your site and keep them interested in coming back. one way to do this is through a lot of tedious hard work if you don't want to wait for your site to be listed in the search engines. on way is to post your link on relevant blogs and forums. give your link out to all your friends. if it's interesting enough. those links will get past on and past on and past on. a viral effect takes place were the 10 you passed it to passes it on to 10 = 100 and passes it on to 10 which is 1000, etc.... if you want to do it this way, you better be confident that your site is of interest to a lot of people. if you don't think it is, then posting your link is still ok, but you will have to wait for the free traffic from the search engines(i am assuming you are not interested in paying to advertise). if you go this route, then seo is one of your only solutions. i've posted about it a few times how to do this in googgle seo threads here on trap. in any case. creating a site is the easy part. getting people to it is the tricky hard part. anything specific you want to know, post a question and i'll answer it to the best of my knowledge. send me a pm if you post something so i don't miss it.

good luck

Many people say it has to be unique but that it is very hard now-a-days with all the millions of web pages and and sites out there.
- Ash.

Try making your site interactive, rewarding members for their contributions. It doesnt necessarily need to be monetary. I have seen your forum and there are quite a good number of interesting discussions. You can conduct contests, which members can participate. Try to keep them relevant to the forums. Rather than just making one way tutorials, make them engaging. At the end of the articles, put some open minded questions about the topics so that members have something to say about the topic.At the end I would like to say that, its easy to become Jack of all trades, but takes a lot of effort to become master of one.

Wow I'm in the same situation as you are. I've experienced the excitement of owning a site but now am worried about making it popular :(Well it all comes down to what you keep in your site and how many people actually want to see it. I agree that forums are the best way to make the website interactive but try to make some static pages too with a good design and the discussion for those pages can take place in the forums. If everything is done in the forums it doesn't seem very good to me!

The thing is with your site Ash is that i have to register to view the forums, so if i want an answer to something and google it and get your site returned, if i really want to know the answer i have to register then i can read the forum/topic and problem solved. I have no need to return!I suspect most of your members do the same thing, register simply for a one time answer/read. If you made your forums readable by guests then your member numbers would probably drop, but at the same time the members you do get will either be valued posters or spammers, it would stop the one time readers completely.