xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fractured.Logic

New Art! Exaggerated Abstract Sketch (female Subject) Mature Content: Suggestive Nudity (no specific details)

Yes, it's pretty twisted :) I was playing around with exaggerating facial features and then this piece came to life. Yes, someone out there could really sit like that... as painful as it might appear! :lol: I tried to keep the proportion accurate, but the rest I purposefully skewed. Enjoy :XD:

Posted Image

Original hand-inked image

Posted Image

Image after playing around with Pixlr, an online editor.

I am loving it and the pose looks so similar to a yoga asana that my grandpa does. And I must say that that pic is perfectly trippy, the more you stare at it the more you see it differently. Waiting to see more :lol:

Hi!Although I'm not really into art, I think the leg on the lower right is bent the wrong way. Also, there are too many lines across the arm that make it appear less human. The hair looks like it's that of a genie. You could perhaps remove the band to reduce this effect. Did you use plain brown when editing through Pixlr? Perhaps you can use Photoshop and use a parchment-like texture for it.I've seen a similar form of art before, but can't exactly place it.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I like it!, the proportions appear correct except for the neck, but still even that looks intentional. Are you going to color it? I reckon a color scheme where the details of the arm and stomach are accentuated to look like "brutal guts" and feathering it into natural colors would be interesting. Although after saying that, it may take emphasis off the face which is typically a priority... Anyhow, well done!.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Tenshi:

Thank you, sweetheart! I don't remember if it was the asana position I was using for inspiration, or not... but that sounds right. I don't actually do yoga, although I'm determined to eventually get started when I can arrange my schedule to accomodate the local classes. Your compliments delight me, very much!

Nitin:

If you'd seen how many times I erased the legs on the original original sketch, you'd laugh. However, I assure you that the position is achievable! I did have issues with the perspective, though, because the limitations of 2D may make it seem like the legs are pulled in closer to the body instead of resting on the ground, like a pinwheel. I plan to edit the background to try and help this more apparent, I just haven't had the time to use my usual art editing software lately.

And she is not supposed to be human, actually... I just used the bipedal skeletal structure Everything in the picture is supposed to appear skewed and distorted, and very exaggerated :lol: Completely intentional!

I don't directly recall what I did with Pixlr, as I have never used it before. I was merely playing around with different options and effects, to get a feel for it.

Inverse:

Thank you for your compliments! The neck was another bit that I spent a while erasing and re-poking at on the very first, graphite sketch.

I very much plan to color it. I first got the idea when I was playing with chalk, with my daughter, out on our driveway. I had taken a bright blue, a pastel pink, and a pastel yellow. The bright blue drew the exaggerated linework (which was, as I previously mentioned, just the face that inspired everything else). Then I blended the pink into part of the blue, and used it for the next stage of shading. Then I took the yellow and filled in the lighting areas. I loved the color blending, even though they weren't very realistic, and I wanted to see what else I could do with the idea. I had bought some markers to do some traditional-coloring of the image first, but they are duds and I have to take them back to the store :P

My current idea is to use an non-realistic combination of colors which still exemplify the features and cooperate with each other (much like how purple and green interact... but I forget what that is called. I am ashamed to have forgotten a color theory basic... x.x)

You (or any of our other graphically-talented members, for that matter), are welcome to download the linework and play with the colors on it... whether you'd prefer to go natural tones or not. :XD: I would actually be rather fascinated to see what others might make of it!

I have since had the chance to do another hand-inked copy of the linework, by the way, with a bolder, more cartoonish approach. I hope to upload that soon so you can see it in comparison to the others. :)

If you want to upload the line work, sure i'd like to have a play. I envision a bit of chiaroscuro coloring style for my version, set in a red apocalyptic world. Unfortunately ill have to use traditional medium's, or have a go in Xara Xtreme as i don't have any drawing type thingies for the computer :lol:.Actually, i will use Xara if you wish to upload a file (its new to me).

a red-apocalyptic chiaroscuro... :(:angel: I had to research "chiaroscuro," but now that I understand what that means, I'm almost physically drooling with inspiration and anticipation! What a fantastic idea... but I will wait to see what you have in mind before implementing any ideas of my own.I will hopefully be able to upload the new and improved linework before the end of the week. If you would like to mess around in the meanwhile, feel free to download the original up above... I would recommend working with the black and white version, though, as it would likely be easier to clean out the white background and turn it into a layered piece (if Xara works with layers... I'm not actually familiar with that program).

I reckon ill print of a couple of copies of the above pic and do a little conceptualizing. I'm not sure how much I can complete (as time is not always abundant), maybe we could collaborate? I could do some coloring and you could ink it/color it more - in which ever program you'd prefer. Otherwise ill see how much i can up with, using chiaroscuro style artwork.

A while ago i used to flick through design and illustration mag's to see what inspiration i could find. In one of them i found an American artist called "Will Crawford" (no relation to me as far as I'm aware) who produced very unique ink illustrations.

He formed a style where there were no outlines just hatched lines that described the 'form' of his subjects. I've always found his flamboyant work to be pleasant to look at, especially because i appreciate traditional pointillism artwork (from which his style is derived). His style is more dynamic and free flowing than pointillism however, much like impressionism which is also great.

Maybe you might find him interesting inspiration for future artwork also, or perhaps even for this project (if you have the time of course, which might not be the case :( ). Below are a couple of links, his work is really hard to find on the net which is a pity, maybe you might have better luck if you wanted to try.

http://www.americanartarchives.com/crawford.htm
/legacy

I would love to collaborate!

:angel:

Collaborating is one of my most favorite things in the world - especially when it concerns art and poetry/storywriting!

[Emote]~Poofs into her leezard-form and happily skitters in dizzying circles to express her elated excitement.~[/Emote]

--

So I took a look at those two links you provided. I am not sure if it would fit this new piece, or not, but I am very impressed with his work! It is very beautiful, indeed. I can see why you find it so inspiring, and it has given me some ideas for future work that I would like to bounce off of you at a later date. :(

Keep in touch with the concepts. I am going to upload the new linework I did tonight. Grandma took my daughter for a trip, so I will have some time to play with graphics tonight, after I do my daily housecleaning. I will make some time at the library this weekend to make a disc and upload the resulting image(s) to my Photobucket account.

Talk to you soon!

Ive just completed a quick concept. Its not pushing boundaries by any means, but everything contained within in it relates to the apocalyptic metaphor we discussed earlier. Here is a link - https://get.google.com/albumarchive/106451508184430628055?source=pwa

Have you got any ideas you wish to add it? (or stuff you think should be left out?). I didn't want to spend too long on it, as i wanted to keep it well open to ideas. Perhaps we could put an apocalyptic leezard in to go in with the snakes :(?

Leezards, dragons, or any other related creature thereof are always a win in my book! :(

I really like the rough sketch, are you going to hand-ink it first, or CGI from where it is now? I have PSD files for you, including one of just the (new) linework... so let me know if you want me to email them. Since you don't have a link to your email on your profile, maybe send one my way and I can reply to it.

So, it took me longer to get back with my CGI edits, but here they are. One is the CGI I did, by layers, in Photoshop at home. I poked at it for a couple hours each night (that's all I had time to spare, unfortunately) until this came about. It views a lot darker on a PC monitor than it does on a Mac.

Which led me to do the second one - which I lightened in Pixlr. When I get the chance, I'll edit the PSD file and make that lighter (which will retain the border better, I hope :angel:).

[Edit]I went back and did another quick edit in Pixlr (third image). The border's integrity still doesn't make me happy, but what do my fellow Trappers think?[/Edit]

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

Your line quality is really good, as is the background oil effect also. To be honest i reckon you'd be doing better taking the border and solar flare out (just my personal taste). But other than that, well done!.Regarding my concept sketch i reckon ill do a second copy of my original concept (To get the proportions and perspective right). I'll focus on dramatizing the foreshortening for a couple of snakes. But i don't think ill be able to finish fully, too much to do and not enough time!

Don't rush yourself! I'd like to consider myself rather patient :angel: Thanks for the input - I'll save a copy of the image from the PSD file, later, that doesn't have either border or solar flare, so you can compare that. :(I will have to get the files you requested to you later... I'm thinking tomorrow, if everything works out all right. My buddy training shift is going to be from 12:30 to 8pm today - and even the Library is closed by the time I'll be off of work.I look forward to seeing your second draft, whenever you can get it done.Until then, take care and keep in touch.:excl:

So, I had a bit of a graphic field day last night. I couldn't sleep, so I just kept poking at things. What resulted was some crazy linework (which I will post in a separate topic), and 9 new variations of my abstract CGI :( Let me know what you think!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)