xisto Community
Deretto

What's The Best Forum Host?

I'm going to be making a website and forum for a guild in an MMO that I play. One thing they want is a new forum. They've been having a bad experience with their current one in Invisionfree. They say some of the members there have been getting viruses from it. So I wanted to ask what would be a good forum to use? I don't mind paying a little if it's of good quality. I'm looking for something that's easily customizable (I won't be doing that myself though. More then likely I'll take it from forums where people post how to do certain customizations.)Also! If someone was working on a website for a guild your in, what kind of content would you like to see on there? Yes I've asked what my guildies want but I want to hear some general opinions as well.

Hi!You might want to try using phpBB. I've never heard about InvisionFree - I thought the only forum software Invision made was the Invision Power Board (IPB). BTW, Xisto runs the Invision Power Board.Were you able to get more info on how the members on your guild got the viruses? Perhaps somebody attached a file to a message and the reader simply downloaded and executed it? Or perhaps some Javascript was injected into your pages? I'm guessing there might be a plugin available to prevent such an occurrence.Regards,Nitin Reddy

What a great question!, Well If you don't want to be paying anything then go with PHPBB it has lots of mods, Very secure & Lots of skins and can also be very fast... Now a host well loads of people say 000webhosting are good they are NOT it will be no good for your forum I great one I would suggest is black apple host http://www.blackapplehost.com/. I Hope I helped you :lol:.

I suggest hosting your own forum with SMF. It is the most secure forum software out there (security threats take less than 3 weeks to solve compared to months for phpBB) and themes and modifications take seconds to install. It is free and will always be free (unlike IPB, which decided to charge).

I think the best option, if you are not familiar with PHP and MYSQL, at least in the installation process which requires a certain knowledge, is to use a free forum hosting solution, and in that case, there are plenty of solutions out there, just type the key words: free forum hosting in Google and you will get the top results with top quality and features available on the internet today.If you do not know, or if you do know, either way, you should download phpbb version 3, use google to find it by using the key words free phpbb, then decompress the zip file, then upload to your own web hosting server using the FTP protocol by using a FTP Client like smartftp which is freeware, after you upload, read the installation instructions, which are pretty clear and easy to follow, by the way, if you want to learn, you must do this exactly as i say, i learned many stuff just by doing this kind of things.Another option is for you to get a free web hosting account here at Xisto.com free web hosting services/system which uses MyCents that can be earned just by contributing to the forums, not all of course, then after you get your free web hosting account, log in to your control panel, and use fantastico control panel to install a forum script, there are many there, and it is very easy to do like that, you do not need any programming knowledge, just insert the folder for installation on your web hosting account root, then choose an user name and password for the forum admin account, and you are ready to go, you will need however to configure the settings in the admin control panel once you log in as an admin.

I've used Zetaboards a few times and I think it's really good, especially for starting a basic game website. Never heard of the ones above so I have no comment about them.

i have used till noe MyBB phpBB smf v bulitten and all i would tell is that mybb has a sophisticated look but smf is also great.......i was also thinking of posting this topic for myself also but i was a bit late.....