xisto Community
Ash-Bash

How To Move Files Or Folders Quick Than Another Other Program This tutorial has been made for the Operating System: Windows.

Hi, Welcome to My Second Tutorial. This tut is showing you how to move files faster.

Navigation in Windows is easy: Just click & drag to move or copy files.

It's easy, but not fast or efficient.

But however, TeraCopy is. It swiftly copies or moves a large quantity of files between folders and different stations.

You can add more files in a queue; temporarily stop a process and much more.

First to get started you will need to Download the Freeware:

http://codesector-eu.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/teracopy.exe (Click the link :lol: )

Start by dragging the files or folders you want into the program window. When you've dragged them in, it should look like this:

Posted Image

Click Copy to or Move to; and the window you get when you click is the same. In my case I clicked copy. Specify a folder to move the files/folders to.

Posted Image

Then, It will copy the files or folders to the specifed location.

Posted Image

With Buffer Size(see picture above) you can decide how much memory should be reserved for temporary saving. The bigger the buffer, the better for your computer's performance under the copy or move process. But the payment for that is, you use more of your memory.

I hope this tutorial helped you :XD: this is great if you move many big files around on your harddrive Films ect...

My First tutorial Click here to view

- Ash :)

Thanks for the tut Ash!I often have to move big files and this will help me a whole lot. I work with many programs while im moving the files and my computer performance falls off a cliff. This freeware will certainly change that. It will save me time, too.

Hi Ash!Thanks for the tutorial.I was wondering if you've got a comparison between TeraCopy and the standard Windows copy-paste for file transfer. Perhaps a benchmark comparing the time taken for the transfer would be indicative of the performance.The benefit I see of using TeraCopy is the CRC check. From the screenshot, I can tell that it compares the CRC of the source and the destination files thus ensuring that the files were properly copied. I believe this functionality, while beneficial, would increase the time required for a transfer.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Thanks for the tut Ash!
I often have to move big files and this will help me a whole lot. I work with many programs while im moving the files and my computer performance falls off a cliff. This freeware will certainly change that. It will save me time, too.

You are very welcome Harrison, I thought this tutorial would be very useful to many members on Trap :lol:

Hi Ash!
Thanks for the tutorial.

I was wondering if you've got a comparison between TeraCopy and the standard Windows copy-paste for file transfer. Perhaps a benchmark comparing the time taken for the transfer would be indicative of the performance.

The benefit I see of using TeraCopy is the CRC check. From the screenshot, I can tell that it compares the CRC of the source and the destination files thus ensuring that the files were properly copied. I believe this functionality, while beneficial, would increase the time required for a transfer.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy

k_nitin_r, TeraCopy is great for moving big big big files around like games, movies ect... It would be very pointless to use it for moving pictures ect.. I will work on getting a bench mark picture put up in the topic Glad you liked the tutorial :XD:.

@AshHi!The part I liked the most about the TeraCopy tutorial you've posted are the screenshots. I didn't have to download and try the software myself to get a feel of what it has to offer.BTW, how does TeraCopy copy data between workstations? Does it have some kind of a P2P protocol, or do you enter the IP address, allow the app through the firewall and access it like an FTP server?Regards,Nitin ReddyPS: What does the "Clean Up" button do?

I am not sure I have not played around with it for that long :), Maybe you can do that yourself make a tutorial or something explaining what it does. I am not rather busy so can only do it on one quick feature the program has to offer.

i don't know if it's really that usefull for the masses. the only benefit i see to it is that you don't have to open many windows to copy files and folders. but i'll bet if we had a race to copy files and directories, i would win the old fashioned way.the name of the program says it all so i think that if you are resstructuring your directories and files, it may be usefull...but for the average joe blow like me, i could never really find a good use for it as i can quickly copy anything with simple copy and paste.the only real problem i have ever run in to when doing this though is when i copy too many files. for some reason windows used to like to create a bunch of copies of the same files i wanted to transfer and windows would place those copies in the same folder i was trying to copy the original files from. that did get irritating....so to prevent that from happening, i guess a program like this would benefit.did anyone else have that problem or am i the only one? i never researched it to find out if it was a bug or not or if there was some purpose behind it that i never understood.

-Smiles- I could have used something like this around 2 hours ago when I was transferring files across my computers. I transferred around 32 GB worth of files and the entire process took around an hour and a half to complete ( I was sort of distracted ). I am going to download this right now. I am probably going to need it again in a few days if I want to transfer more files between computers. I hate looking at the Windows Window saying copying... (jumping from like 235 hours to like 140 minutes to 234 minutes, etc.) just waiting for the process to finish.

the only real problem i have ever run in to when doing this though is when i copy too many files. for some reason windows used to like to create a bunch of copies of the same files i wanted to transfer and windows would place those copies in the same folder i was trying to copy the original files from. that did get irritating....so to prevent that from happening, i guess a program like this would benefit.
did anyone else have that problem or am i the only one? i never researched it to find out if it was a bug or not or if there was some purpose behind it that i never understood.

It happened to me to, several times and from what I understand it's because I've clicked some kind of combination of mouse clicks and maybe keyboard key pushes or something that.. and whola, you get a bunch files cloned in the same directory? It's really irritating.. I even didn't notice the combination, but it's usually because I'm in hurry to do something and you just get more problems..

I think using exploring is a bad habit, getting a file manager and using it is much better, just that I got used to explorer so much, I used to use File managers only in the past, but somehow I got a habit to use explorer style..

the only real problem i have ever run in to when doing this though is when i copy too many files. for some reason windows used to like to create a bunch of copies of the same files i wanted to transfer and windows would place those copies in the same folder i was trying to copy the original files from. that did get irritating....so to prevent that from happening, i guess a program like this would benefit.

I agree with Quatrux! This happens to me all the time. I bugs me because I don't recall ever clicking or pressing something that causes the files to copy into the same directory as my other files.