xisto Community
bluedragon

Create Wifi Hotspot From Laptop + Lan Creating a wifi hotspot from laptop + LAN (ADSL)

I was wondering if it's possible to use a laptop/or computer as a wifi hotspot if the laptop or computer connected to the internet by a LAN (ADSL)I have a broadband connection with unlimited data plan that I use to connect my home laptop or computer to the internet. Its a wired internetNow that I'm connected, I want to share my internet connection with my PSP or another computer by creating a WIFI Hotspot.Is it possible to create a WIFI hotspot on a Laptop thats connected through a broadband and use it on another device such as PSP ??Can someone help me configure it ? PLS :lol:Thanks

I do not know if this depends on your wifi card but my mac does allow me to create wireless networks. I also have the option to share my internet connection to anyone connected to my network. I'm sure you will have to do some googleing if its not that straight forward. Hopefully your wifi card on your computer supports creating a wireless network.

It is possible to turn most wireless laptops and PCs into wireless access points by creating what is known as an ad-hoc network. I think all Macs can do it, and most Linux distributions enable it for all wireless cards that support it. Windows can connect to them but I have no idea if it can create them. Again, this would depend on the exact wireless chip inside the laptop and the software you use to manage your wireless connections.

Thanks for the replies :lol:My card does allow me to create hotspots but How Do I share my internet connection ?The two connections would be different (I am using Windows XP Pro) so I believe I'll have to make one connection understand that the second connection is the one actually routing all the information to internet ?

Is it possible to MAKE a wifi hotspot using a PDA ?

That would again depend on the type of wireless card of a PDA but I doubt you would be able to. I haven't tried myself so I have no word for it.

I did a bit of research on creating a hot spot from a PDA .. Seems like its restricted from Windows. I tried it on 2-3 different PDAs and couldn't find a single one that could create the Hot-Spot. Seems like Windows doesn't allow this.. I havene't tried Palm or any other PDA . The ones I tried were all HTC.coming back to the original question .. Can someone tell me . .. How to make a wifi internet hotspot using my Laptop and an ADSL Lan connection ? Thanks all :(

Lool!! Turn the internet sharing on from  the connection which is connected to internet and create and connect to the wireless ad-hoc network

-reply by shucaybias

sharing internet on vista, ad-hoc wireless connectionCreate Wifi Hotspot From Laptop + Lan

I used to be able to share my internet when I created a wireless ad-hoc connection. But now the button to choose sharing internet is gone, I can see that in it's place there are half erased letters from the button that existed before.

So I restored my lap top to a previous time and created a ad-hoc connection again, the button for sharing internet was there again, but only worked for the first day. On the second day I created a ad-hoc connection and the button was gone again, no internet sharing button.

I've seen people  with the same problem. Does anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks.

-reply by malor

Would it be a bad thing to create a wireless network?Create Wifi Hotspot From Laptop + Lan

I have a wireless router that I want to connect to my Wii and 360 but it is too far away and moving it would not be an option. I know how to make a wireless network, but would it work from my nearest computer and would I have to pay for a second internet connection? Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm new at this.

-reply by SquishySquish

YOu can easily make a wifi gateway using windows but in NO way does PS3 or PSP connect using this as gateway. For this purpose you will have to buy a router with wifi.

To share your current bb connection. 

Go to network and settings. 

Right click on your bb connection and click "Add to bridge"

Right click on your wifi card and click "add to bridge"

now both your connections make been bridged to share data.

No need to change I.P settings

THere.You can now access your bb internet on desktop/laptop with other wifi enabled computers/ppc/I phone etc..

but this will not work with ps3 or psp. I have both and this DOES NOT work... Finally buy a wireless router.

-reply by pranjal87

I was wondering if it's possible to use a laptop/or computer as a wifi hotspot if the laptop or computer connected to the internet by a LAN (ADSL)
I have a broadband connection with unlimited data plan that I use to connect my home laptop or computer to the internet. Its a wired internet

Now that I'm connected, I want to share my internet connection with my PSP or another computer by creating a WIFI Hotspot.

Is it possible to create a WIFI hotspot on a Laptop thats connected through a broadband and use it on another device such as PSP ??

Can someone help me configure it ? PLS :)

Thanks

simply enabling ICS (internet connection sharing)will not solve your problem because most of the psp demand an access point connection but what other's are discussing is a adhoc network.
to craete a infrastructure with access point you need to install a software that creates a virtual hot spot.you can get so many free wares by searching on google for creating a virtual hotspot (virtual access point).when you will have a connection with virtual access point,you can connect your psp or wireless enabled gadgets.

There's no way to make your Laptop to be a WIFI hotspot in order to connect your other wireless device. All though you can use the Ad-hoc connection buts that for a computer-computer connection only. Why don't buy a wireless router to get your life much easier.

connecting a wifi card to a routerCreate Wifi Hotspot From Laptop + Lan

I have a netgear wg111v2 usb adapter and would like to run in through my netgear router so a can pick up local internet service and distribute it through my house how can this be done I bought a usb to eithernet adapter but no luck

-reply by madjo