xisto Community
inverse_bloom

Inkscape Vector Program

For anyone who hasn't used Inkscape before i dont recommend you use it. I've used it for a few small tasks lately and it hasn't proved to be reliable at all for me. It has a tendency to crash after about half an hour to an hour of operation, especially if there are two many shapes on the screen at once. The way it handles antialiasing for shapes could be better and exporting to bitmap is low resolution (its a little fuzzy).

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

I've used Inkscape for years and have never had any of the problems you are describing. Inkscape has never crashed on me, no matter how complicated I make the image or how many shapes it contains. Exporting to bitmap is also of excellent quality, although it can take a little while if you have a lot of transparency in your design. I would strongly recommend people try it out.

For anyone who hasn't used Inkscape before i dont recommend you use it. I've used it for a few small tasks lately and it hasn't proved to be reliable at all for me. It has a tendency to crash after about half an hour to an hour of operation, especially if there are two many shapes on the screen at once.

I would be interested in seeing what you have done in InkScape. I would also be interested on your system's specifications. In fact, if you could provide the SVG files that crashed InkScape and the version of InkScape you were using at the time, i would like to attempt to crash InkScape using those works.

Unfortunately i cant provide the .svg files as they are needed for a project. But i can say that they weren't huge files (there's a few clipping masks though). I reckon judging by its lack of complexity i could crash it with any opened file with a little more than 10 shapes. Inkscape is version 0.46 on windows XP. I have a IBM r50 thinkpad, 1.7 GHZ, Radeon 7500, 1 gig ram, but i have had no problems with the gimp or any other programs that have been installed.I've been producing logo's and design's for which i save regularly about every 15 minutes (which I'm thankful for). Usually it will crash when I'm tweaking curves and focusing on details. Usually I'll advocate open source stuff but i don't like this one, i had hopes it would turn out to be good. Ill have to buy illustrator unfortunately i think.As for the results of my saved bitmaps, the results i had would not be suitable for any kind of commercial application. But anyway after hearing rvalkass's experience with Inkscape, perhaps people could try it to see which way it goes for them.

If Inkscape does crash that much for you then there is either a conflict between Inkscape and some other software you have running, or with your hardware, or a weird bug in Inkscape that hasn't been spotted. Either way, it shouldn't be happening. Submit a bug report, preferably including a file which crashes Inkscape. If you can't include the actual file, create a similar one that also crashes Inkscape and use that. This way the bug will get fixed for a later release of Inkscape.

Yes will do soon, i haven't been checking memory usage but if were have a guess, it would be a problem there. Ill also mention about the bitmap output issue, as after these problems are fixed - things would be sunshine again.