xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

DBMS : what is the database management system for YAHOO? What Is Programming Language Of Google Etc.?

DBMS : what is the database management system for YAHOO?What Is Programming Language Of Google Etc.?

what is the database management system for YAHOO?

-reply by grace

Its a tough question I should say. there are tons of services that these companies provide and I do not think that they will have a single universal solution that they will have for all these services. they might have some set of resources to use and they might be free to pick one from them... but a single one for all... highly unlikely.Also... both these companies embrace Open Source a lot. So... the technologies might be inclined towards open source. These companies also have the capability to build their own/... so... why not build and use their own customized solution. Quite possible. Cannot be neglected as it can happen.My guess would be MySQL, postgre SQL or something like that.

I think they must be running several systems because it look like they run on different servers as well for different subdomains. But yes I also think especially Google uses some open source, so that they can customize it to their needs without bothering asking the software house and having to sort out copyright details. Surely they must develop a lot on their own too. I think the answer to these questions could be easily found if one bothered to read all the disclaimers / terms of use that come with Google or Yahoo's application. If open source software is used it should be mentioned there.

What I can say here, is that Google uses a lot of Open Source technologies for sure. I once has a problem with my browser trying to connect to my email account and unluckily got forwarded to an internal error page. So I saw at the bottom of this page that the server is hosted on Redhat Linux with apache web servers.They might use also MySQL on these platforms.

So ultimately how does open source compare with proprietary software? Is the disadvantage of not having an official support (or at least not a proper customer support) offset by the advantage of having potentially thousands of developers tweaking the code and fixing bugs?Surely if Google uses open source the reason must go beyond the price to pay for proprietary technology and should also be not only that of setting an example and believing in open source as a philosophy. It must be a real technological advantage.

just one says

Extending the CSS's functionalities (YAHOO-CMS: YAHOO.plugin.Lighter)Example:
#yourcontainer .yourselector.yui-cms-selector .yui-cms-item.selected {}
#othercontainer .yourselector.yui-cms-selector .yui-cms-item.selected {}

Yahoo! uses Himalaya, a version of PostgreSQL including map‐reduce. Google uses analogous F1 & Spanner. Google also uses a custom version of MySQL, & Big Table & Map Reduce.

Yahoo! uses Himalaya, a version of PostgreSQL including map-reduce. Google uses analogous F1 & Spanner. Google also uses a custom version of MySQL, & Big Table & Map Reduce.